Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft & Atmosphere

Default Re: StarCraft & Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I really wish they had hired David Kaye to perform Zeratul. I'd say it's pretty spot-on. Fred's Zeratul really sucks.
    Damn, that would've been awesome at least his character would've been 2% tolerable.

I really wish they had hired David Kaye to perform Zeratul. I'd say it's pretty spot-on. Fred's Zeratul really sucks.
    What did you hate about him?

What did you hate about him?
    Uhh... because Fred's Zeratul was a generic deep, low voice. As I said before, Jake Ritschel's voice had this bite to it (I don't know how else to describe it). The original Zeratul always came off as a brooding and irritable veteran, while Fred's is melancholic and, well, generic. There was no character!

David Kaye's Apocalypse has this incisive quality with a natural, rumbling undertone. On the other hand, you can tell that Fred is straining to hit the lowest register he can, and it's painfully obvious.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 07-13-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Makes me wonder if Fred just never wanted the position for the voice acting on him

His original character concept was "What if Darth Vader fought for the rebellion?" Why wouldn't you want to voice that?

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

His original character concept was "What if Darth Vader fought for the rebellion?" Why wouldn't you want to voice that?
    Dude that's awesome... That makes a lot of sense haha.

And what was his reasoning for it all?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    And what was his reasoning for it all?
    I... Don't understand. That was Blizzard's starting concept point for Zeratul's design.

I... Don't understand. That was Blizzard's starting concept point for Zeratul's design.
    Figures. Blizzard wasn't thinking too well

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Figures. Blizzard wasn't thinking too well
    Well they were not brainstorming in any different way to how they are coming up with concepts right now. The difference is that the focus has changed from nerdy and epic to nerdy, epic, demographically acceptable, child-safe, market researched, popular, politically correct, profitable, and blizzard's epic culture oriented. It just does not agrees with old fans anymore.

Disregarding concept brainstorming as unintelligent is not very smart.

I could try and pretentiously say that they loved Vader so much they wanted to incorporate, into SC, a similar character that would evoke hope through a direct confrontation with moral standards and the fight against a greater evil. However, at this point, basic answers often are true; and further "reasons" or "motivations" are rather constructed by the critics and analysts whose money stacks are built on their own webs of interpretation. "They were just Star Wars fans" or "they thought it was cool" are acceptable, simple motivations. Weather you liked SW or not is up to you. Weather you liked SC:BW Zeratul or not is up to you, as well. When you judge a person (or organization) by their opinion on a sci-fi character as unintelligent, you risk falling into the edgy personality that dwells in absolutes and personal realities.