Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

  1. #21

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    Eh, the multiplayer was garbage imo, I did about 80 games and just got sick of it always being a deathball match

    SP was hardly better, ignoring the elementary school level story-line, the gameplay was typcial of AAA games of that era where its hyper-scripted "you have one way to do a thing" type of levels with a veneer of "choice" in what you put in your death ball.
    I felt the whole choice thing in WoL was meh anyway.

  2. #22

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    No. Not at all. The MP surpassed or met every reasonable expectation I had. And, if SC2 was never released, I would've gotten bored with SC1 by now anyways, and eihter have moved on anyways or be occasionally miserable because there was never any kind of sequel at all. SC2 isn't enough for me to competely regret its entire existence. MP and SP gameplay are just simply too much of the experience anyways. I love the story of SCBW but I only care about it because of the gameplay of the campaign, vast quantities of UMS/Campaigns and the intense MP. Story is secondary. Its not like StarCraft was ever the greatest, most complex space opera ever created. Put equivalent game play to a Peter F Hamilton epic and I would forget all about StarCraft. But that's not a fair comparison at all.

    Diablo 3, however, did as much damage, if not more, to the series than the Star Wars prequels. The world would be a better place without it.
    I'll take your word on Diablo. I'm not terribly interested in that franchise.

    As for Starcraft, I disagree. Yes, people would have been tired of SC by now if the second game hadn't come out, but quite frankly, SC2 did almost nothing to generate interest -- unless by "interest," you count trying the games briefly and then complaining about them later on these forums, with the few people cranky enough to complain with you. And that's just us old fans. I have a irl friend who played SC2 without playing the original, and he is pretty meh about it. He's not going to be playing the game anymore, unless I nag him into playing the old game remaster. Which I probably will.

    Heck, that's probably why Blizz is creating the remaster: to remind everyone why people liked the games in the first place.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

  3. #23

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    I mean it did drum up interest.

    just not any sustained interest.

    it went back into obscurity around the time HotS came out.

  4. #24
    TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    You people seem to have difficulty comprehending that there dozens (hundreds?) of thousands of people who still play the MP. Its not all about the SP. Half the talk about the quality of SC2 could be avoided if you would just remember that.



    Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

  5. #25

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    it went back into obscurity around the time HotS came out.
    How do you figure that? HotS and LotV sold more than a million copies each on the first two days of release. That doesn't sound like "back into obscurity" to me.

    Sure, it may have died down after those releases but what the hell else doesn't? They're still making patches and content for Co-op so nah, there's still plenty of interest in terms of the gaming side of Sc2.

    The interest in the lore and story stuff of Sc2 on the otherhand... Well, they decided to stop making more stuff like Nova: Covert Ops for the near future in favour of focusing on co-op, so that certainly tells you something.
    Last edited by Turalyon; 05-28-2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.


    _______________________________________________

  6. #26

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    I mean it did drum up interest.

    just not any sustained interest.

    it went back into obscurity around the time HotS came out.
    Hmmm, don't recall that. Link please?

  7. #27
    Sheliek's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,215

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    I remember two days before the announcement, I'd heard all the buzz about the rumoured annoucement at WWI and was hyped, and then on Friday there were a bunch of cops at my high school because an unknown student had made a threat to shoot up the school that day. I was so worried I'd die and not get to see the announcement for what I strongly suspected and hoped was StarCraft II. Nothing ended up happening. Just a random story.

  8. #28
    TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    I remember two days before the announcement, I'd heard all the buzz about the rumoured annoucement at WWI and was hyped, and then on Friday there were a bunch of cops at my high school because an unknown student had made a threat to shoot up the school that day. I was so worried I'd die and not get to see the announcement for what I strongly suspected and hoped was StarCraft II. Nothing ended up happening. Just a random story.
    Haha! I feels ya brah. I used to always joke when people would get shot at my high school or something else happened that, if I died, I would never get to see StarCraft II and that, after I played StarCraft II, I could die happily. Sadly, I was only half-joking. THAT'S how much I loved StarCraft at that time. It's not even Blizzard's fault that dwindled. That's just growing up and getting better priorities.



    Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

  9. #29

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    I remember two days before the announcement, I'd heard all the buzz about the rumoured annoucement at WWI and was hyped, and then on Friday there were a bunch of cops at my high school because an unknown student had made a threat to shoot up the school that day. I was so worried I'd die and not get to see the announcement for what I strongly suspected and hoped was StarCraft II. Nothing ended up happening. Just a random story.
    It's ok, those things tend to happen. Back when I lived in Phoenix, AZ, there's the occasional gun threats as well.

  10. #30

    Default Re: StarCraft 2 was announced 10 years ago today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    How do you figure that? HotS and LotV sold more than a million copies each on the first two days of release. That doesn't sound like "back into obscurity" to me.

    Sure, it may have died down after those releases but what the hell else doesn't? They're still making patches and content for Co-op so nah, there's still plenty of interest in terms of the gaming side of Sc2.

    The interest in the lore and story stuff of Sc2 on the otherhand... Well, they decided to stop making more stuff like Nova: Covert Ops for the near future in favour of focusing on co-op, so that certainly tells you something.
    Because outside of our little SC franchise bubble nobody else gives a shit anymore, the game pretty much died in Korea, and its MP scene has faded to a shadow of its formal self.

    DED GAEM

Similar Threads

  1. StarCraft Remastered Announced
    By Kaiser in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-03-2017, 12:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM
  3. Starcraft - 7 years in 7 minutes
    By Aznargo in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 10:03 AM
  4. Starcraft: Fifteen Years in the Koprulu Sector
    By Kaiser in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
  5. StarCraft II Beta System Requirements Announced
    By Gradius in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •