Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Episode III.V: Where All My Bothans At? [SPOILERS]

Default Star Wars: Episode III.V: Where All My Bothans At? [SPOILERS]

Can I just say Rogue One was amazing? It completely blew away my expectations, which were low in part because Disney's were low. According to reports, Disney didn't expect anywhere near as much acclaim for this spinoff as they did for The Force Awakens.

For a Star Wars movie, its characters were impressively developed and nuanced. A moment of sadness overtook me as Jyn took one last look at her Kyber necklace as they descended through Scarif's shields. It was then that it truly hit me that I was going to lose these characters.

Now, the movie wasn't without its flaws, but I was genuinely compelled by the story and struggle. In the closing minutes of the movie, even though I knew the plans would make it to safety, some anxious part of me had me at the edge of my seat, rooting on the characters -- and my heart dropped (and flew!) at seeing Vader in that corridor.

What did you all think, my Stardusts?
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 12-20-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Star Wars: Episode III.V: Where All My Bothans At? [SPOILERS]

Yeah, it was actually a pretty good movie. Not sure we needed another remake of the 1977 classic after the one last year. But, like I said in another topic, it's nice to see a sequel that actually works to lessen plot problems instead of make them worse.

It also got me to finally take the plunge and star reading some Star Wars novels, starting with Darth Bane because it was on-sale.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Well unlike StarCraft the Star Wars books are actually good usually.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

This one is definitely good so far, and one of my favorite authors (Matthew Stover) wrote another book that I'll be getting to soon.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    In the closing minutes of the movie, even though I knew the plans would make it to safety, some anxious part of me had me at the edge of my seat, rooting on the characters ...
    That's how I know I'm watching something good -- if I know how it ends beforehand (either through spoilers -- which I've never minded -- or from watching it previously), and it still gets tense and exciting, I know I'm watching something engrossing. Breaking Bad is the best example I can think of personally. That drive into the desert in one of the last episodes still gives me chills and has me on the edge of my seat every time, as do quite a few other moments in that show I've seen multiple times.

Also, I see the bothans thing brought up a lot, and I'm pretty sure the 'many bothans gave their lives' line is from Return of the Jedi. Haven't seen it yet. Was supposed to go with a friend but couldn't get tickets for the first night, so just gonna watch it when it's released or leaked.

Carrie Fisher is one with the Force now.

And I know about the bothans, but I thought it was funny.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Just heard about Carrie Fisher a few minutes back. It's a shame, she was an old-fashioned actress -- had that vaguely 'Mid-Atlantic' accent going on, you didn't see that much even at the time she was starting out. I feel bad though, as I've seen her in a few movies besides Star Wars, but I can't recall any of them at the moment. Was definitely her iconic role, though, so that's not a surprise.

Also, I wasn't sure -- I've seen people actually annoyed by the Bothan thing.

I've seen people complain about the bothans, too. They need to brush up on their chronology.

I thought it was gonna be garbage, turns out its now my favourite star wars movie. Love the characters and I found the acting solid. I was scared that the main char was gonna be another mary sue but I'm glad they proved me wrong .Also loved the fact that it's all a bit more gritty than usual.

Looking forward to the next side story. I just wish they'd do an old Republic movie next.

DonnyZeDoof's Avatar Junior Member

I haven't seen the original trilogy in a while so can anyone tell me how Rogue One fixed some plot holes in it?