Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New StarCraft Comic: "The Keep"

Default Re: New StarCraft Comic: "The Keep"

Tche, I respect your opinion on Valerian. Honestly, his whole entrance in the story felt cheap. We also don't really know why he's a good guy. What makes him different from his dad? Heck, what even makes him a good character? He's just really whatever the plot needs him to be.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Tche, I respect your opinion on Valerian. Honestly, his whole entrance in the story felt cheap. We also don't really know why he's a good guy. What makes him different from his dad? Heck, what even makes him a good character? He's just really whatever the plot needs him to be.
    This is why we need a sequel to the "I, Mengsk" book, since Valerian didn't play too huge a role there.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    This was why I hated the terran faction more in SC1 because everyone is too selfish and only cares about their own goals.
    Depends on your perspective and bias I suppose. I don't think that the Terran faction are selfish and only care for themselves more than anyone else in Sc1 even though their tenacity and obstinance this brings them to is perhaps the cornerstone of why they are able to keep on surviving in this universe. Really, I could just as easily make the case that all the designated good guys in Sc1 (Raynor and Tassadar) were too selfish and only cares about his own goals, too.

That Sc1 doesn't wholly take one side and shows us consequences of actions is what's so great about it because it lets you decide rather than telling you how you should think. How you see/interpret a characters actions is a reflection of you rather than the writers. That's how good writers show respect to their audience.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Depends on your perspective and bias I suppose. I don't think that the Terran faction are selfish and only care for themselves more than anyone else in Sc1 even though their tenacity and obstinance this brings them to is perhaps the cornerstone of why they are able to keep on surviving in this universe. Really, I could just as easily make the case that all the designated good guys in Sc1 (Raynor and Tassadar) were too selfish and only cares about his own goals, too.

That Sc1 doesn't wholly take one side and shows us consequences of actions is what's so great about it because it lets you decide rather than telling you how you should think. How you see/interpret a characters actions is a reflection of you rather than the writers. That's how good writers show respect to their audience.
    Yes, and that can also run the risk of other problems like the audience to see that everyone turns out to be greedy and selfish bastards, and there's no decency amongst anyone. If so, you might as well deserve to be exterminated.

Yes, and that can also run the risk of other problems like the audience to see that everyone turns out to be greedy and selfish bastards, and there's no decency amongst anyone. If so, you might as well deserve to be exterminated.
    Like I said, that's a reflection on the person who views it that way, not on the material itself. One can choose to see decency... or not. It gives the story an illusion of complexity. It's how I can be reasonably contrarian to the popular belief that Raynor, Kerrigan or Tassadar being straight-up "good" people or that Aldaris, Mengsk or the Overmind are straight-up "bad/evil".
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Like I said, that's a reflection on the person who views it that way, not on the material itself. One can choose to see decency... or not. It gives the story an illusion of complexity. It's how I can be reasonably contrarian to the popular belief that Raynor, Kerrigan or Tassadar being straight-up "good" people or that Aldaris, Mengsk or the Overmind are straight-up "bad/evil".
    This is why when I looked at the storylines for the custom campaigns (I too follow Jayborino's channel at times), I absolutely HATED the "Perfect Soldiers" storyline, because it showed that in the end, after all the fighting, you'll just ending BECOMING the very thing you swore to destroy, and that everyone succumbed to power lust and greed and all that.

If we follow that logic, it would only make sense to just let Amon win at the end of LotV since clearly life in the Koprulu sector isn't worth saving as EVERYONE is a greedy bastard.

This is why when I looked at the storylines for the custom campaigns (I too follow Jayborino's channel at times), I absolutely HATED the "Perfect Soldiers" storyline, because it showed that in the end, after all the fighting, you'll just ending BECOMING the very thing you swore to destroy, and that everyone succumbed to power lust and greed and all that.

If we follow that logic, it would only make sense to just let Amon win at the end of LotV since clearly life in the Koprulu sector isn't worth saving as EVERYONE is a greedy bastard.
    That's why I liked that campaign, there were consequences, these consequence-less free pass storylines need to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserStratosTygo View Post
    That's why I liked that campaign, there were consequences, these consequence-less free pass storylines need to stop.
    Actually this is why it's speculated that the whole ascension process (as explained in the Evolution book) might have also been considered a punishment or something

Actually this is why it's speculated that the whole ascension process (as explained in the Evolution book) might have also been considered a punishment or something
    All the more reason we may need a mission pack or book detailing Amon's ascension and subsequent fall. As a mortal, he wholeheartedly believed the Xel'Naga were grand creatures, and desperately wanted to join their numbers (for either good reasons or ill). Only once he ascended did he realize his mistake.

At the same time, Artanis laments that he and his people were left behind. Maybe it was a mercy for the Protoss to be "left behind" while Kerrigan took the mantle of Xel'Naga. Maybe it's something like that old fairy tale where a man is forever tethered to a boat, unless he's able to find somebody to take his place. (Or, if you prefer the modern version, the Flying Dutchman must always have a captain.)
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 12-05-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    All the more reason we may need a mission pack or book detailing Amon's ascension and subsequent fall. As a mortal, he wholeheartedly believed the Xel'Naga were grand creatures, and desperately wanted to join their numbers (for either good reasons or ill). Only once he ascended did he realize his mistake.

At the same time, Artanis laments that he and his people were left behind. Maybe it was a mercy for the Protoss to be "left behind" while Kerrigan took the mantle of Xel'Naga. Maybe it's something like that old fairy tale where a man is forever tethered to a boat, unless he's able to find somebody to take his place. (Or, if you prefer the modern version, the Flying Dutchman must always have a captain.)
    Same here. We need to know once and for all was the ascension a good thing or not.

If Amon's words are to be believed, then if you possess the purity of form or essence, you'll be subjected to the ascension process even against your will.

Either that or maybe many within Amon's species wanted it, but there were those (like Amon himself) who didn't, and didn't get a say in the matter.