Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rework Starcraft II

Default Re: How to Rework Starcraft II

On topic, I think SCII should be reworked...into the garbage.

*sigh* fine, I'll take it seriously.

1. Don't base the Terran expansion on Raynor. Jimmy, despite my belief he's the main character of SC, really functions best when he's on the side of a major action that's going on -- he's not in charge of Mengsk's rise to power, he pals around to help Tassadar's goals, he helps 'Toss get to Shakuras, he helps Kerrigan against the UED -- basically, any time when Jimmy is only a small cog in big events. Raynor isn't a rebel leader of a large number of people. He's just someone who tries to do right in whatever situation he happens to find himself.

2. If possible, avoid the whole "each race gets an expansion." I don't want to say it can't work, but it's definitely working from a disadvantage, because we don't get a sampler of what's happening with each race. The Protoss get basically no setup, the Zerg don't have enough characters that matter, and Raynor consumes all the focus of the Terrans, when really this would be the perfect time to bring in Umoja and Moria. Because the focus of each expansion is so singular, the games feel narrow and boxed in -- even more than when the characters were in literal boxes in SC1.

3. I'll say it until I pass out. Making the Khala bad is a dumb idea and narrows the plot potential of the Protoss, not to mention turning Artanis into an obtuse political diatribe against intolerance.

4. I haven't quite passed out yet, so I'll say this again too: absolutely no robots with personalities of dead heroes. Bringing Fenix back hurt me in writer ways I have never been hurt before. Robots could have worked only if they were "present tense" -- they improved during the time between games, and any issues the Protoss were having with them could be set up properly over SC2, like humans encounter a settlement of autonomous robots, or something.

5. Resolve or remove the Tal'darim. Are they druggies, fanatics, or an independent sect? Their every appearance is something different, with no logic in itself or connection to the others. It also feels really weird that Artanis is puttering around with Tal'darim traditions when far more important matters are on the line. If he was going to participate in Tal'darim leadership rites, or whatever (I don't care enough to understand it), then this should have appeared in a previous expansion, so that Artie can focus on making sure his people survive during the climax of the sequel. Or else separate Artie (or another 'Toss) to do the whole Tal'darim thing while everyone else is doing stuff that matters.

Although I personally prefer the nonexistence of the Tal'darim. I'm sure there's another character out there de Lancie can voice.

6. Don't make Tychus Findlay a serious part of the plot. Findlay is a great flavor character with a fun personality, and is the only thing that feels like a holdover from SC1. Making him a convoluted part of Mengsk's scheming ruins his potential. Though certainly his death is pretty representative of how Blizzard feels about SC1 -- kill the authentic, keep the Mary Sue.

7. Give the whole thing a completely different plot and scope. It needs to remember that Starcraft is science fiction and has a male target audience. No Mary Sues, fewer female Protoss (yeah, I said it), and no brood mothers. And no prophecies, no emo Zeratul, no Raynor killing 'Toss for money, Mengsk doesn't die or dies better, and Kerrigan's redemption is more about morals than it is about her physical being. No Xel'Naga Kerri, and possibly she dies.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    ou bby did you get banned from battle.net?
    be nice, we're refugees!

Battlenet is basically Syria.

Don't make Tychus Findlay a serious part of the plot. Findlay is a great flavor character with a fun personality, and is the only thing that feels like a holdover from SC1. Making him a convoluted part of Mengsk's scheming ruins his potential. Though certainly his death is pretty representative of how Blizzard feels about SC1 -- kill the authentic, keep the Mary Sue.
    I thought that he was working for Valerian to get the artifacts was fine.

The twist upon a twist was pointless.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiseStratosTygo View Post
    be nice, we're refugees!

Battlenet is basically Syria.
    Your ban I didn't agree with, Stratos. You didn't deserve it. But DDay once told me that he got kicked many times over for being a jerk on there, so in his case....

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Meanwhile, I've been trollin' since '09 and not so much as a stern notification.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    It needs to remember that Starcraft is science fiction and has a male target audience. No Mary Sues, fewer female Protoss (yeah, I said it), and no brood mothers.
    How do those things detract away from the male target audience? I'm sure there are guys who work up a slather over ass shots of Infested Kerrigan, so I'm sure there are some sicko's who "love" the idea of female Protoss or Zerg characters (blechh).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    On topic, I think SCII should be reworked...into the garbage.

*sigh* fine, I'll take it seriously.

1. Don't base the Terran expansion on Raynor. Jimmy, despite my belief he's the main character of SC, really functions best when he's on the side of a major action that's going on -- he's not in charge of Mengsk's rise to power, he pals around to help Tassadar's goals, he helps 'Toss get to Shakuras, he helps Kerrigan against the UED -- basically, any time when Jimmy is only a small cog in big events. Raynor isn't a rebel leader of a large number of people. He's just someone who tries to do right in whatever situation he happens to find himself.

2. If possible, avoid the whole "each race gets an expansion." I don't want to say it can't work, but it's definitely working from a disadvantage, because we don't get a sampler of what's happening with each race. The Protoss get basically no setup, the Zerg don't have enough characters that matter, and Raynor consumes all the focus of the Terrans, when really this would be the perfect time to bring in Umoja and Moria. Because the focus of each expansion is so singular, the games feel narrow and boxed in -- even more than when the characters were in literal boxes in SC1.

3. I'll say it until I pass out. Making the Khala bad is a dumb idea and narrows the plot potential of the Protoss, not to mention turning Artanis into an obtuse political diatribe against intolerance.

4. I haven't quite passed out yet, so I'll say this again too: absolutely no robots with personalities of dead heroes. Bringing Fenix back hurt me in writer ways I have never been hurt before. Robots could have worked only if they were "present tense" -- they improved during the time between games, and any issues the Protoss were having with them could be set up properly over SC2, like humans encounter a settlement of autonomous robots, or something.

5. Resolve or remove the Tal'darim. Are they druggies, fanatics, or an independent sect? Their every appearance is something different, with no logic in itself or connection to the others. It also feels really weird that Artanis is puttering around with Tal'darim traditions when far more important matters are on the line. If he was going to participate in Tal'darim leadership rites, or whatever (I don't care enough to understand it), then this should have appeared in a previous expansion, so that Artie can focus on making sure his people survive during the climax of the sequel. Or else separate Artie (or another 'Toss) to do the whole Tal'darim thing while everyone else is doing stuff that matters.

Although I personally prefer the nonexistence of the Tal'darim. I'm sure there's another character out there de Lancie can voice.

6. Don't make Tychus Findlay a serious part of the plot. Findlay is a great flavor character with a fun personality, and is the only thing that feels like a holdover from SC1. Making him a convoluted part of Mengsk's scheming ruins his potential. Though certainly his death is pretty representative of how Blizzard feels about SC1 -- kill the authentic, keep the Mary Sue.

7. Give the whole thing a completely different plot and scope. It needs to remember that Starcraft is science fiction and has a male target audience. No Mary Sues, fewer female Protoss (yeah, I said it), and no brood mothers. And no prophecies, no emo Zeratul, no Raynor killing 'Toss for money, Mengsk doesn't die or dies better, and Kerrigan's redemption is more about morals than it is about her physical being. No Xel'Naga Kerri, and possibly she dies.
    Can I just second everything you said?

These are all very astute and correct observations about SC. Feel exactly the same way about Raynor and Tychus (in Tychus' case without being exactly consciously aware of it, but you're right, he's the only or almost only thing that feels like "classic StarCraft").

I used to feel agnostic about RoboFenix, but now I feel that it's just a bad and artless exploitation of nostalgia.

Also VERY much agree re:Kerrigan-redemption etcetera.

Also about the games feeling "boxed in".
    There is A LOT that could be shown that wasn't.

I also increasingly feel that revealing anything about the Xel'Naga was a mistake, it all ended up disappointing and generic although artistically well executed (like the labyrinth map on that interdimensional octahedron thingy in Void). There might have been a way to carry off the Hybrid/Duran arc well, but they've botched it up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Meanwhile, I've been trollin' since '09 and not so much as a stern notification.
    They probably just REALLY didn't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    How do those things detract away from the male target audience? I'm sure there are guys who work up a slather over ass shots of Infested Kerrigan, so I'm sure there are some sicko's who "love" the idea of female Protoss or Zerg characters (blechh).
    Well for one thing, exactly. It attracts the sickos. That, and bringing female characters into a story alters that story to a female mindset, simply because female characters have female minds, and aren't going to act like or necessarily understand guys. Not to mention that the female characters presented in SC2 are all generic nothings, there only to fulfill a politically correct demographic, not tell a story that is interesting or in some way requires a female perspective. Blizzard only adds the female elements to make sure no one accuses them of being sexist.

IMAO, it's more "sexist" to have lame female characters than to have few or none. All I ask for is a good story. Demographics don't matter.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

I need a skinny tan guy with bad eyesight and a thin spindly beard to identify with or I RIOT