Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want in future DLC story?

Default What do you want in future DLC story?

We spend a lot of time bickering over minutia and trivia, but we rarely think creatively or constructively.

What would you want out of future DLC or fan campaigns? How should the races change to adapt to emerging situations? How do conflicts arise without rehashing old plotlines? Should there ever be another Big Bad? Or does the universe need to remain shades of grey, like Game of Thrones in Space?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: What do you want in future DLC story?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    We spend a lot of time bickering over minutia and trivia, but we rarely think creatively or constructively.
    That's probably because there's nothing you could possibly make that would make SC2 good all of a sudden. Amon and the craphecy arc will always be canon.

Id be down with a reboot or at least heavy retconning of SC2.

Optimally, the zerg DLC would follow Stukov, and deal with a UED preliminary scouting force doing things in the K-sector. Lead right into StarCraft III.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

I think rehashing past stuff is the only recourse for SC now. Covert Ops is sort of doing that already and I'm not sure if that's a response to how Sc2 attempts at being different and creative didn't turn out to be either/ weren't thought of as spectacular or they want to capitalise on nostalgia. To me, all of this signals that there's not really much "meat" left (if any) on the "story-bone" with the Terran, Zerg and Protoss as they are now.

If they really wanted to be creative, they'd just develop a whole new IP.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    That's probably because there's nothing you could possibly make that would make SC2 good all of a sudden. Amon and the craphecy arc will always be canon.

Id be down with a reboot or at least heavy retconning of SC2.
    They merely need to explain more on Amon's part, given him a backstory and everything, then modify the epilogue in LotV and that'll be it.

They could also disconnect completely from the main characters of SC. Instead of stories about the Dominion, Daelam or Zagara's zerg, for example, they could do DLCs about the Umojans, KMs, Tal'Darim, minor broodmothers, etc. Nova's story is actually still of big scale - it's still about trying to save billions of lives and the future of the biggest Terran faction. The DLCs give their freedom to explore the Koprulu sector more microscopically.

Also, DLCs about past story could also be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post

What would you want out of future DLC or fan campaigns? How should the races change to adapt to emerging situations? How do conflicts arise without rehashing old plotlines? Should there ever be another Big Bad? Or does the universe need to remain shades of grey, like Game of Thrones in Space?
    There should be another big bad because I can't take shades of grey seriously from this story anymore. Everyone is already pretty much black and white(almost literally if you look at the protoss).

As much as I like Nova covert ops, I don't want more of that. What I really want is for them to throw away the 3rd person view altogether and bring back first person narrative with you as an actual character of the story. If there's something that they should bring back, this is it. When you put players in the shoes of the main character, the quality of the story can be forgivably lesser. This is because the onus of making a satisfying main character is removed from the author while also giving a layer of immersion to the user. This needs to be done because the plot is now directed by the holy rule of cool(meaning it can never truly be serious). I don't believe in retconning and if you're not gonna reboot then at least you should try to mitigate the damage. First person would mitigate the damage. I can fully see myself enjoying a SC3 where I'm the main character and I'm thrown into a "cool" story where a new cheesy big baddie emerges. Put in branching storylines and I'm sold. There is still good in this lore, it just needs to be presented differently.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    There should be another big bad because I can't take shades of grey seriously from this story anymore. Everyone is already pretty much black and white(almost literally if you look at the protoss).
    We don't need another big bad, we can easily bring Amon back. The guy's lived for billions of years. However arrogant he is, Amon should be nothing like Mengsk, who never learned a damn thing in the end. Me, I always felt in the final epilogue cutscene it's entirely possible he merely faked his death.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    We don't need another big bad, we can easily bring Amon back. The guy's lived for billions of years. However arrogant he is, Amon should be nothing like Mengsk, who never learned a damn thing in the end. Me, I always felt in the final epilogue cutscene it's entirely possible he merely faked his death.
    I'd even be open to this assuming we go 3rd person. I think a fake death would be cheap but they could go the "he can never truly die" route and have parts of him still alive somehow. Like, part of his mind still lives within the remnant of the khala or within the zerg's collective mind. We're already full on magic so meh. I'd just try to avoid the cliche cultist bent on his resurrection garbage if they do this though. I proposed before that the zerg's mind link could become infected with some kind of "virus" that sever Kerri/Zag's ability to control the swarm and instead make the affected zergs act through a true hive mind that has 0 centralized power. This virus could be the remnant of Amon's control.

Me, I always felt in the final epilogue cutscene it's entirely possible he merely faked his death.
    I always felt that Narud was the one setting up his fake death, seeing as how only Xel'Naga can kill other Xel'Naga.

If we ever want to recapture the "ancient enemy" scenario but witha less megalomaniacal enemy to contend with, I'd love to see species from previous Cycles show up. That would allow the story tellers to explore what happens to those "left behind", as well as the events leading up to it (Ascension, Singularity, Convergent Evolution... thing.) It could give us a glimpse into Amon's own past without resurrecting him or some such BS.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.