Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Default Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    I'm pretty damn interested in Kylo Ben's character arch.
    His name is Kylo Ren / Ben Solo.

His name is Kylo Ren / Ben Solo.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    You're just a scruffy Nerf herder.

When I saw that scene as a child, I always thought Leia was calling Han a "Nerve hurter." It didn't make sense til I read Star Wars: Tales of the Bounty Hunters, where the phrase was written out. (I think in Dengar's story.)
    Aaand sold.

Just saw it. It was ok. For some reason, I had trouble with the last fight. It's clearly not the only problem with the plot but how Rey mastered her Jedi powers out of nowhere and then defeated Ren.. I thought it was dumb but I'll accept that she succeeded only because Ren was wounded.

Another thing is that I felt the universe wasn't clearly explained. Of note: why is there already an empire 2.0? Do I have to read a book to understand what happened between ep 6 and 7? ''Luke is gone and that somehow left a vacuum for baddies to take over'' is the only explanation given afaik.

Also, one random unimportant question: is Snoke a giant or is it just the hologram that is made like this?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Just saw it. It was ok. For some reason, I had trouble with the last fight. It's clearly not the only problem with the plot but how Rey mastered her Jedi powers out of nowhere and then defeated Ren.. I thought it was dumb but I'll accept that she succeeded only because Ren was wounded.

Another thing is that I felt the universe wasn't clearly explained. Of note: why is there already an empire 2.0? Do I have to read a book to understand what happened between ep 6 and 7? ''Luke is gone and that somehow left a vacuum for baddies to take over'' is the only explanation given afaik.

Also, one random unimportant question: is Snoke a giant or is it just the hologram that is made like this?
    1. As much of a Mary Sue as Rey was, the force "works in mysterious ways" so her sudden grasp of it isn't completely out of left field.

2. The defeat of the second Death Star and the death of Palpatine/Sidious were big events, but the Empire itself was not defeated, only its top leadership. They still had thousands of ships and troops across the galaxy, and the power vacuum was filled by Snoke and his underlings like General Hux. When Kim Il Sung died, did North Korea collapse? No, his son Kim Jong Il took his place, then Kim Jong Un after him. As for he Empire becoming the First Order, organizations change names all the time as things change, like how the USSR became Russia after it lost territories.

3. Snoke's giant hologram is just that: a giant hologram. He is not a giant himself, it's just imagery to make him appear more powerful.

---

My biggest gripe with TFA is lightspeed physics, the laws of thermodynamics, and Starkiller Base's complete disregard of them - either our own natural laws or the Star Wars galaxy's as set in canon. The wiki on the operation and firing of the Base is fucking ridiculous. Using "Dark Energy" to draw in a star a fire its power breaking space-time for thousands of light-years? Was the Force not enough ridiculous magic already?

So Rey being independent and naturally skilled like any other hero protagonist in any other fictional universe makes her a Mary Sue. Damn, chicks have it hard being heroes in fiction, don't they?

I don't mind that Rey was able to beat Kylo Ren since he was already having a tough time fighting Fin. Rey was barely holding her own and was on the defensive most of the time until she used the force to defeat Ren. Also, Rey using the force to defeat Ren is akin to Luke using the force to fire a fluke shot down an exhaust pipe of the Death Star without tech assistance.

As to the First Order "coming out of nowhere", I buy the reason that they weren't just all defeated but the movie never really implies this. They're just there right from the get go. However, saying that they're just there in the movie is evidence that they weren't totally wiped out is circular reasoning. The actual explanation for their continued existence/power is never mentioned in the movie itself - a plot hole for sure but not a narrative-breaking one.

I don't really mind the unrealistic nature of how the Starkiller weapon actually works, I was more concerned about it being an undisguised plot device and escalated allusion to the Death Star. I mean, we already had a Death Star 2.0 in Return of the Jedi which was supposed to be bigger and badder only to now have it again a third time with it actually being bigger and badder. In the end, it's just some "massive threatening thing that needs to be destroyed" but did we really need to have the same type of "thing" for a third time?
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

No, his son Kim Jong Il took his place, then Kim Jong Un after him.
    Bad example. North Korea is not an empire. An empire and a nation/civilization survive based on entirely different grounds, even in countries where the capital is basically the seat of an empire. Empires do often times collapse after the death of important leadership. Although they probably more often times do not. It depends on how well the Empire itself meets the natural need or niche that it has exploited. Empires without this collapse easily, or are never really empires to begin with (Genghis Kahn), or they continue. Star Wars is simplistic enough that we can probably assume its ignoring all historical evidence and logic and has an empire that serves no natural need and exists only through force (not THE force) continue to exist, as I understand the lore. But, I've never really liked Star Wars and don't know that much to begin with, so what do I know?

As for lack of explanation, there's supposed to be a book that explains a lot of things not explained in the movie. Maybe it's in there? It got terrible reviews though, so probably not.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 01-17-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

As to the First Order "coming out of nowhere", I buy the reason that they weren't just all defeated but the movie never really implies this.
    Ugh, I agree with you there. This is an instance where some scenes of political delegation and trade embargoes might have been useful in explicating the galactic state of affairs.

Supposedly, the Fire Order is comprised of extremists from the former Empire. According to Abrams, he took the notion of, "What if the Nazis exiled to Brazil came together to form a new band?" The Empire itself has signed peace accords with the nascent New Republic. Another irritant is that, while the Old Republic took millenia to denigrate into an inefficient bureaucracy, the New Republic only needed 30 years.

During the scene depicting the destruction of the New Republic, you see a walrus looking at the Starkiller death beam in the sky. Yeah. THAT was the Supreme Chancellor at the time. Jaimie Hyneman went far in life.

I simply choose to ignore the bullshittery revolving around the Starkiller firing scene. In my mind, Takadona is in the Hosnian system. Fuck all the "Hyperspace lensing" stuff.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 01-17-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Aaand sold.

*the lone Star Trek fan shuffles uncomfortably in a corner, quietly sipping her drink. She restrains herself from making cynical remarks on the Wars franchise.*
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.