Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Programming languages

Default Programming languages

I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with this sort of thing, but I'm thinking of taking a programming course. Thing is, the college I was thinking about teaches C# instead of C++. So uh, which is better in general? Thoughts, feelings, prejudices?
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Default Re: Programming languages

Depends; what are your goals? Is it to get a job? What kind of job? If it's not for a job, then what kind of side projects do you intend to make?

I was thinking about gaming. Online research seems to indicate C++ has greater flexibility, though.
    - Artanis.

Unity and Unreal Engine 4 are both free game engines: Unity uses C#, UE uses C++, if that has any bearing on what you want to do.

//I am a very beginner programmer so I have no further advice to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    I was thinking about gaming. Online research seems to indicate C++ has greater flexibility, though.
    Ok. Let me go over a couple of things:

About school...

Firstly, taking traditional courses to learn programming is the wrong approach. You only take courses if you plan on getting a job in companies where their HR reps ignore any applicants who doesn't have a Computer Science/Software engineer degree. Note here that I say degree and not diploma. Diplomas are almost always a waste of time and money. Technically, so are degrees but at least they let you bypass the HR screening more easily. In your case, since you mention gaming, gaming companies are usually pretty lenient on certification(aka they don't care) and instead will focus on your experience(side projects in your case). By the way, something in your favor is that you're a woman(I think?) and right now every tech company is trying to meet their dumb diversity quota which means that you shouldn't have problems getting an interview.

To get back to the learning aspect; the main reason why traditional courses are a waste is because this is simply not how you learn to code. Becoming a decent programmer requires A LOT of practice and very little theory. I cannot stress this enough: going to class and listening/watching your teacher code is inefficient in learning to code. I won't go into the details of why that is unless you insist but.. just trust me.

About the right way to learn...

By now, you should be asking "if not schools then how?". The best method is simply to read a good book that covers the basics of algorithms(while also covering the basics of a language) and then to code many programs of increasing complexity. This is really simple and you can start today. Even if you did enroll in a school, you would end up doing this anyways. There simply is no way around it. Everything else, you will learn on the spot on a need to basis.

There are many books (or online tutorials) that you can find to start and I can suggests some too. Whenever you get stuck in this process(and you will.. a lot), you must develop the skill of systematically identifying and defining why you are stuck. The solution will almost always magically appear before you then. For some, this is easy. For others, it takes time to sink in. At first, it might be necessary to find yourself a mentor to help you with that. If you don't know anyone in real life, there are tons of communities out there and even I can provide some guidance. (Note: the most popular community is stackoverflow but avoid asking questions on it for now; the people there are savage to beginners).

About languages...

Now, lets get back to languages since that was your original question. The thing about languages is that.. it doesn't matter what you use. You can basically do everything with any language at this point. Ok, this is not 100% true so I don't want some elitist idiot come and kill me for it but, fact of the matter is, I see people do everything with any language all the time. For example, look at javascript.. Javascript is supposed to make web pages dynamic and that's it. Now, people make graphic engine in javascript and code native mobile apps. Plus, the moment you're stuck and really can't do something with a language, once you're decent, you can easily learn a new language. This is true unless that language is Assembly or a functional/logical language; those will present a higher learning curve(note that you'll probably never use that stuff anyways).

About game programming...

As for Gaming, again, it doesn't matter what you use. For example, there was a time when people were saying that Java is crap for gaming. Sure as hell didn't stop some dudes from making Runescape or Minecraft or a lot of popular android games. The same goes for pretty much every languages. Even C++, which used(I say used because with mobile and unity, it's debatable now) to be the king of languages for games, used to be ridiculed by the C crowd. With that said, for gaming, I would focus on C# first. This is because C# is easier to learn than C++. Also, you're probably gonna make games alone at first and you'll want to use Unity. You could go the Unreal/C++ route but I would advise against it because it's harder without really giving you more. Honestly, the only reason why you'd want to learn C++ first is because you're planning on doing graphic programming(building your own engine and stuff) or you want a job at a big company like EA or Ubisoft. You won't do graphic programming in your first year and unless you say otherwise, I'm guessing you don't want to work for these(and even then, I assume they put juniors on small mobile stuff made in Unity).

Also, something funny: http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthrea...is-programming

That was me being in your shoes 7 years ago lol. Tons of research, coding, a job in the field and a CS degree later, well you could say that this post is part of my conclusion on the subject.
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 01-27-2016 at 04:09 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggh!!!

I've written so many fucking python scripts to pull various economic data from various, poorly organized government databases that I want to kill myself.

I only mention this here because, when it comes time to do another fucking one, I think I might just contract one of you people out to do it, if you think you can do it. So.. fucking.. tired...

Sorry to hijack. But, you know.. life ...

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Lol, that's okay, Econ.

Well, yeah, I'm a chick, so you were right on that count, SB. I'm really nervous about learning to program. Honestly, I wish I'd started learning when I was a kid, back when my dad and brother were all into basic and stuff. I can't imagine gwbasic is much used these days, but it at least would have been a good start.

Also, it's good to know that degrees are useless. It would have helped to know that before I got my accounting degree, too....
    - Artanis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggh!!!

I've written so many fucking python scripts to pull various economic data from various, poorly organized government databases that I want to kill myself.

I only mention this here because, when it comes time to do another fucking one, I think I might just contract one of you people out to do it, if you think you can do it. So.. fucking.. tired...
    Lol I'd ask premiums for having to do it in python. Hate this crap language. I need my curly braces! And Python 3 is a dick about indentation(can't mix space with tabs) which makes me hate the whole thing even more. I don't know why they start beginners with python, really a waste imo.

Well, yeah, I'm a chick, so you were right on that count, SB. I'm really nervous about learning to program. Honestly, I wish I'd started learning when I was a kid, back when my dad and brother were all into basic and stuff. I can't imagine gwbasic is much used these days, but it at least would have been a good start.
    Don't be nervous about it; the core aspect of it is really simple. Yes, doing gwbasic back in the days would have given you a head start but it's not too late. After a 3-4 months, you can make pretty decent stuff.

For me, just by making custom maps in the Brood War days, I learned the basics of it all. I only realized this when I actually started school.

Also, it's good to know that degrees are useless. It would have helped to know that before I got my accounting degree, too....
    You think after my first degree I would have learned that lesson lol. But now, I'm pretty confident when I say degrees are crap and the education system is crap. Of course, I realized this in my very first year of university but everyone was saying otherwise so.. I thought that I might be wrong. At least I stopped attending classes pretty quick. One of my friend didn't understand how I could average A- with a 5% attendance rate.. poor guy..

Well, sorry to go against your advice, but I think I'm going to go with C++. I found a great site for it, and I've already got an ebook to work on. I think I'd rather go with complicated and detailed over user friendly and simple.
    - Artanis.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I think I'd rather go with complicated and detailed over user friendly and simple.
    Famous last words, maybe? Haha.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.