Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brutal Difficulty

Default Brutal Difficulty

Has anyone been able to reach the 1.5 billion mark in that mission where you defend the temple?
    It's about at the 1 billion mark where they start to overwhelm my forces/defenses pretty much because of the flying hybrids to the north-east.
    I'm just wondering if others have been able to get to 1.5 billion

Default Re: Brutal Difficulty

I have, and yeah, the north-east entrance is the one that collapses the hardest. I kept some Stalkers around to blink into the Guardians and Hybrids to kill them, then blink back out. It's not great, but it bought me plenty of time.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Do the following:

Bonus: Korhal first, but not needed.

Loadout: Nerazim Zealots, Templar Dragoons, [BONUS] Nerazim Immortals, Nerazim Dark Templar
    Spear of Adun: Chrono Surge, Orbital Strike, Orbital Assimilators. +2 on Supply [bonus] and +4 on Build time

Your economy is first, warp in zealots and gates only. Use your first 75 energy on a chrono surge on your nexus for 10 instant probes or so (wait till ~250 minerals so you have efficiency in building probes). Build second nexus quickly.

Destroy the Key Stones ASAP. You do not need a very large army (5-8 units), but be careful with the Keystone spells. First target the ones to the west. Build a Pylon as close to the last Key Stone without molesting the Mutalisks. You will blow this one up when you have a chance, but first maintain your base.

On ground defenses, build warp gates to block ramps partially. Build Monolyths leaving a 2 space gap. from the gateways or terrain walls. For each Monolyth, build a shield battery and a cannon. Block entrance with zealots. Do not hold position but bring them into the base far enough so that they charge the rushing lings as soon as they get on level with the gates, and not out into the lower ground.

On the North-West fill the lower terrain and steps with dragoons and 3 shield batteries with a pylon. Warp in any dragoons that die. Build Monolyths at the wall with shield batteries but no cannons.

Build 5-7 more gates around the Temple or behind your Nexus and 3 Robos. Keep warping in Zealots and Dragoons, quickly.

Extra: Add some DTs to your zealot lines as they maw through small units with their charge. Build an army of Nerazim Immortals and use them to cannon down fliers. 10 or so will do nicely.

Personal Record is 1.8 Billion with this strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    I have, and yeah, the north-east entrance is the one that collapses the hardest. I kept some Stalkers around to blink into the Guardians and Hybrids to kill them, then blink back out. It's not great, but it bought me plenty of time.
    Could you reach 1.8 billion this way? Because that seemed to be pushing it.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

1.5 is the bonus objective mark, 1.8 is the Achievement mark. Pretty much dealing with that gate is all you have to do. I want to try out stalkers despite my strategy, because it sounds effective.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    1.5 is the bonus objective mark, 1.8 is the Achievement mark. Pretty much dealing with that gate is all you have to do. I want to try out stalkers despite my strategy, because it sounds effective.
    Yeah I don't think Dragoons could cut it. They suffer from the same problems like in SC1. To bulky and tend to get in the way too often.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    Loadout: Nerazim Zealots, Templar Dragoons, [BONUS] Nerazim Immortals, Nerazim Dark Templar
    Hah, your loadout is the complete opposite of mine. I had Aiur Zealots, Nerazim Stalkers, Aiur Immortals and Aiur Dark Templar (seriously, those things are expensive and die super easily, the respawn is the only reason I ever used Dark Templar at all)

Then I built mostly nothing but Immortals chrono surged from a single Robotics Facility and filled everything with static defences. I had some Dark Templar on patrol and blink Stalkers to handle the northeast entrance. I also got the Keystones super late and they did nothing but tickle my Immortals :P.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Could you reach 1.8 billion this way? Because that seemed to be pushing it.
    I just checked my achievements and apparently I got this one, so yes, you could reach 1.8 billion Zerg.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    I just checked my achievements and apparently I got this one, so yes, you could reach 1.8 billion Zerg.
    Interesting, I'll try it sometime then.

Well I was able to do it. Barely though.
    Here's what I did.

War Council: Nerazim Zealots, Auir Dragoons, Auir Immortals, Auir Dark Templar
    Solar core: pylon warp in, orbital strike, probeless vespean, max on construction time and starting supply

The first thing of course was to build economy, so i went for a nexus first then just kept building zealots and probes
    after a short amount of time I built a dark shrine, used orbital strike to kill the overseers at the crystals, then sent 4+ dark Templar to each one in as the overseers were destroyed
    As for defense: in the north-east corner I built a line of shield batteries with cannons backing them up then monoliths backing them up, resulting in a killzone for everything that came in
    I couldn't quite get enough time to build up every side like that though, so i built about 9 gateways and just kept pumping out dragoons, dark Templar and zealots
    at each of the three ground entrances I had staggered shield batteries with ground units backing them up and eventually the monoliths(in the u shape) as well
    I also threw in some immortals which helped a bit as the staggered shield batteries would die every now and then.
    I got to just over the 1.5 billion mark before i detonated. The zerg were in the process of attacking the temple when it went off

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I got damn close my first time (something like 1.38 billion) but was too lazy to reload. I'll do it next time

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.