Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

Default Re: Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

Can I ask why people are so angry about paid DLC? If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that. But if Blizzard is gonna keep creative guys working on SC2 for years, including making new models, bringing in voice actors, and so forth, it's stupid to expect to do it for free. People gotta eat, and people should get paid for their work.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang View Post
    Can I ask why people are so angry about paid DLC? If you don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that. But if Blizzard is gonna keep creative guys working on SC2 for years, including making new models, bringing in voice actors, and so forth, it's stupid to expect to do it for free. People gotta eat, and people should get paid for their work.
    Because modern gamers are supremely entitled and have no idea how running a business works, I'd say. But who knows? Maybe an argument in favour of these being entirely free will come forth that is based in reality.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Gamers are notoriously bad about economics. And, yes, they are entitled. But they also seem to think that everyone game company is rolling in the dough. Gaming is one of the lesser profitable industries of its size, actually.And only a few major companies can be so to be really making a lot of money. DLC is a way to cope with increased costs by getting revenue from the people who are willing to pay more. It's not ripping people off. Remember, NES and SNES games cost more, had far less content, and much smaller budgets. Going by that logic, NES games were highway robbery.

Gaming has reached an impasse. Gamers as a whole refuse to spend more than 60$ for a brand new AAA game, but also demand quick updates that exponentially increase the costs of gaming. How do you make up the difference? DLC, of course.

That being said. I don't buy DLC. Either I buy it when it is all released in a final physical copy or a bootleg it because fuck that shit
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 11-07-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Clawfang View Post
    Let's just say this can be abused WAY too easily for money grabbing and company greed.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Yeah, and if they do that, bitch, and don't buy any of it. Everything they've shown us so far suggests it's not being done that way. It's either cosmetics which you have no right to complain about spending money on because they are completely pointless (skins and advisors) or singleplayer stuff that they have every right to charge money for.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Let's just say this can be abused WAY too easily for money grabbing and company greed.
    You can chose to buy it don't. Retards buy 200$ Gucci sun glasses. I don't. Some people buy 10$ DLC. I don't. Simple.

Given the industry trend to monetize everything, and that fact that there was so many opportunities and things to monetize in SC2, the fact that they haven't is one of the few compliments I have for recent Blizzard.

Also, stop capitalizing RANDOM words. I know it's some kind of unconscious tick, but at least switch it up with bold and italics everything now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    Yeah, and if they do that, bitch, and don't buy any of it. Everything they've shown us so far suggests it's not being done that way. It's either cosmetics which you have no right to complain about spending money on because they are completely pointless (skins and advisors) or singleplayer stuff that they have every right to charge money for.
    I don't have plans to buy it, not just yet anyways.

You'll buy it. Don't even lie.

It's probably gonna be the first DLC I buy tbh or at least the first DLC I buy individually(vs being part of an ''extended edition'').

I get the whole ''devs gotta eat'' thing but I personally prefer DLC being all neatly packaged in one big expansion. Then again, I'm also the kind of person that buy stuff in bulk at costco so...

I play Final Fantasy. Their Dissidia 012 game a few years ago for PSP had DLC, 99 cents for new character costumes, and 99 cents for song packs of four or five extra soundtracks for fights. I bought a few and didn't buy the rest, no problem.

Then came All The Bravest for smartphones, which allowed you to buy "premium" guest characters for 99 cents each. But when you choose to do so, the character you get is random from 35. Wanna play as a specific character? Too bad, roll the dice. They also released Theatrhythm, a rhythm game for 3DS. The 3DS has DLC songs for 99 cents each, totalling 50 bucks. The iOS port of the game, though, made almost all the songs in the base 3DS game DLC too, for a total of $150 bucks to unlock all the songs.

TL;DR - can this system be abused? No question. Does Blizzard intend to? I see no evidence of such just on the announcement alone.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.