Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

Having even thought about the release until now because of "reasons" but now the hype is setting in. Dare a jaded fan dream of a worthy ending?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

A bit of the respect I had for Metzen has been restored. I consider this a personal victory after my years of trying to get the community to adopt higher standards for storytelling.

Also, this IS me being bitchy, but not to anyone here. People are actually upset DLC campaigns that will cost thousands of dollars to make will cost money to play. That's all that needs saying.
    I'm actually kind of excited about these. Gameplay has been the most rewarding experience of the campaign. Get more of that in bite sized chunks over a period of time would be great, if they can keep it up. Holding that experience back because of a story I no longer care about is stupid. Give me more great game play wrapped up in simple mission structures and I'll be happy ... for a reasonable price.

A bit of the respect I had for Metzen has been restored. I consider this a personal victory after my years of trying to get the community to adopt higher standards for storytelling.
    I told you one day your missionary work would be rewarded.

In my opinion, when it comes to creating intellectual property(stories in this case), you need a single vision originating from one creator. Everyone else in the team just add to that idea but never change it. I think SC2 is the perfect example of someone having a vision and then people messing around with it too much. Maybe the whole kerri + weak, alcoholic jim romance thing could have worked out. It certainly didn't with the way it was executed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    I said I get the logic and mentality, not that I agree with it :P. Still, they've acknowledged the problem. That bodes well for LotV and the DLC campaigns at any rate.
    Acknowledging the problem is only the starting point. Blizzard admitted similarly back at Blizzcon 2014

In my opinion, when it comes to creating intellectual property(stories in this case), you need a single vision originating from one creator.
    I actually used to know a guy with some indie development experience, he stresses this strongly.

Speaking as a fanfic writer who's been writing for 10 years, I definitely feel for the guy. It's nothing to do with SC2's storytelling itself, it's just hindsight. You think back on your old stories and see subplots you didn't develop properly, parts you wish you had cut and cut stuff you should have included. And I know other writers who feel the same about their works. We're our own worst critics, and we put ourselves on the line with our work, and it doesn't always work out.

I agree this bodes well for the end of the series. And if nothing else, Metzen realizes SC2's story has had problems. I've always been of the opinion some of the cut systems and story elements seemed perfectly fine (like being able to purchase new units instead of just getting them willy-nilly).
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

It seems Metzen did actually want some seriousness and ramifications reflected off of Raynor's alcholism but the team disagreed because they wanted to make the player feel empowered. This goes to show how the concept of a player character (like in Sc1) would have solved both of these problems.

After reading this article, it's making me wonder what their recollections of HotS as a story are though. It's total absence of a reference beyond namechecking it and mentioning Kerrigan seemed odd. I found it quite peculiar how they talk about how Sc2 is about Raynor and Kerrigan - the human angle - and then acknowledging how different the Protoss can potentially be yet focus their attention on it as the last entry. The reason for this, they say, is to not rob us off the Protoss experience. I wonder if they could say that of HotS and whether that really encapsulated the Zerg experience/ethos when it really was about a particular humans angle.

Strangely enough, I'm actually in full support for the smaller story packs they're releasing after LotV. They seem to be focussing on smaller and more intimate stories that aren't universe-shaking and full of wanton epicness but contribute to the world-building more than anything else. As their short stories have shown, it seems to be a (and arguably only, insofar as what we've had tp put up with in the games themselves) particular strength they have had in terms of story development and it's wise for them to try and capitalise on that.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I actually used to know a guy with some indie development experience, he stresses this strongly.
    Same, and I agree.

Mission packs are neat.

Not going to spend a cent on them though.

I remember a spooky time when Blizzard-made campaign packs were free (you already bought the game)

Oh well.