Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

Default Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/6/967...y-dlc-blizzard

Includes Chris Metzen admitting WoL wasn't as good in hindsight as it seemed at the time.

It also includes a big CALLED IT on my end about Amon. Spoiler alert.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 11-06-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Arcturus Mengsk did nothing wrong. Tarsonis is just a conspiracy theory.

Default Re: Polygon Article just went up about Future of SC2

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/6/967...y-dlc-blizzard

Includes Chris Metzen admitting WoL wasn't as good in hindsight as it seemed at the time.

It also includes a big CALLED IT on my end about Amon. Spoiler alert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzen
    "At the time, the team was just like, ‘Why? It’s unnecessary,’" Metzen says. "‘I just wanna see things nuked! I want to feel badass right out of the gate.’ That’s perfectly valid. If I were writing a novel about it, it might have been great.
    Holy shit.

And the explanation for why Blizzard's writing has sucked since 2004 has been realized. That sounds like it would have been way cooler/more interesting than what we got. And why Wings of Liberty is so schizophrenic.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

I kinda get that mentality the whole team had TBH.

Still, if they get around to novelizing the series, WRITE IT THAT WAY. The Rebel Yell and Overmind novelizations differed rather significantly from the games, why not these ones too?

I kinda get that mentality the whole team had TBH.

Still, if they get around to novelizing the series, WRITE IT THAT WAY. The Rebel Yell and Overmind novelizations differed rather significantly from the games, why not these ones too?
    The whole idea that you need a novelization to do complex ideas, or that it HAS to appeal to the lowest common denominator and be a total self-affirming masturbatory experience.

All the best video games I know have incredibly engrossing experiences that make you feel small and insignificant, but powerful and able to overcome that fact.

MGS2, MGS3, Arkham City, Silent Hill 2...

All of these put the character through the ringer and make them feel damaged and it's so much more interesting and different than just seeing the same message over and over again.

I just think it's so much more satisfying to watch a character overcome legitimate adversity than it is to see a foregone conclusion.

I said I get the logic and mentality, not that I agree with it :P. Still, they've acknowledged the problem. That bodes well for LotV and the DLC campaigns at any rate.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

"In developing these fictions for games, you gotta remember, people just want to feel powerful and effective."
    I don't know whether this is incredibly retarded or dead on true. The problem with complaining about dumbing down something for the common denominator is that it just might be right.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I said I get the logic and mentality, not that I agree with it :P. Still, they've acknowledged the problem. That bodes well for LotV and the DLC campaigns at any rate.
    I wasn't meaning to argue with you. Though it doesn't sound like they're acknowledging the problem so much as talking about a stage of their development where they toyed with making the hero fail, and then decided against it because it's not what people want.

Honestly, though, everything from LotV so far has been miles ahead of HotS from a story perspective, so I'm down.

I don't know whether this is incredibly retarded or dead on true. The problem with complaining about dumbing down something for the common denominator is that it just might be right.
    It probably is true that that's what people THINK they want. It doesn't mean it's what they ultimately need or that it's what will make the game's story good or memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I tend to over-analyze A LOT, and so I have a lot of different possibiltes I float around in my head, and whenever one of them is somewhat true I yell "AHA GOTCHA"!

But to be honest, this was kind of what I believed, at least to an extent, I think often problems like this are a result of lack of due dilligence, I.E, not giving the characters the dialogue they need, the atmosphere, etc, and just focusing on stuff like that, that players dont' want to sit through the story, but the thing is, (and I think you're right in some ways to be sure), people often really DO sit through the story, and WON'T mind a few extra minutes of dialogue. It frustruates me to no end that this philopshy has taken root, it's extremely harmful, and ironically it ends up probably hurting the gameplay by itself in some ways because the developers constantly have to contort the missions around the story which keeps developing continuity issues.

I've been thinking about this personally, I think it's true that often the boring, non-glamorous explanation for the problem is the right one, and that its also often true that the boring, non-glamorous (perhaps initially), steady method is the one that works. So what do yoiu think (and anyone else who wants to join in PLEASE feel free) if we as a forum try to address how the plot plays out gameplay wise, so tha we can post our feedback collectively to try and maybe get ONE developer to see it, and I know it's a vague possibly false hope but maybe even Chris Metzen will see it as well, and we can slowly build up that foundation again, maybe, I'd just personally be so happy if all these story problems didn't persist, if the universe was hold and true and even outmatched the original by a mile.

To be completely honest

Sorry 'bout that. Apparently been confrontational as shit lately even when I'm not meaning to be. I was just saying, I get their logic, and them acknowledging it is a good sign.

Also, this IS me being bitchy, but not to anyone here. People are actually upset DLC campaigns that will cost thousands of dollars to make will cost money to play. That's all that needs saying.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 11-06-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Ugh. With LotV only a couple days away, I'll try to avoid any spoilers. But the history surrounding the ups and downs of the creative process are very interesting to read about.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.