Thread: Comparing Starcraft 1 and 2 art

Default Comparing Starcraft 1 and 2 art

The are of starcraft 2 was good but starcraft 1 was better.
    Here are just a few examples from the classic.
    wall1-1920x1200.jpg
    wall2-1920x1200.jpg
    Starcraft_1.jpg
    Zeratul_SC1_Art1.jpg
    Winulator-Starcraft-04.jpg

Default Re: Comparing Starcraft 1 and 2 art

Lol. The main issue with SC2 art is that it went manic on the details. Each set of Protoss armor became forty bajillion parts of golden crap, Zeratul got dipped into a vat of acetate, and Zerg units got a ridiculous number of spines and teeth, rendering them too impractical to be truly frightening. I don't have much complaint on Terran stuff, though. While the detail did go up, the over-mechanical nature of Terran tech somehow makes it work. Protoss tech is supposed to be graceful, so it makes their design weaker when they're so detailed.

That, and humans are already well designed. We make sense, because we can look natural. Because 'Toss/Zerg aren't real, their "natural" doesn't exist. Unless, in the Zerg's case, you go back to the skeletons that originally inspired SC artists. Honestly, it's all a matter of editing. They needed to simplify it all. Like that slim and trim hydra up there. Looks great.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

No, terrans are pretty shitty cartoon design too. Just look at the marauder

Could legit be a boss in Bomberman.

Would fit well with the gang imo.

But we're beating a dead horse here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Each set of Protoss armor became forty bajillion parts of golden crap,
    A huge upgrade on Artanis strolling around naked for Brood War though. For the love of Adun, Artanis, you're a Praetor. You can afford some clothes.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    A huge upgrade on Artanis strolling around naked for Brood War though. For the love of Adun, Artanis, you're a Praetor. You can afford some clothes.
    While clothes are better than nakedness, decent clothes are better than two tons of metal crap.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

While clothes are better than nakedness, decent clothes are better than two tons of metal crap.
    Actually, ridiculously ornate and impractical armour makes perfect sense for the Protoss. They're the people who charge into machine guns swinging swords even though it is completely within their ability to equip all those Protoss warriors with, I don't know, antimatter guns or what not. I'll write a post about the Templar eventually.
    Zeratul: I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
    Aldaris: Did not! That doesn't even make sense!
    Zeratul: Shut up, I totally did!

Lol. The main issue with SC2 art is that it went manic on the details. Each set of Protoss armor became forty bajillion parts of golden crap, Zeratul got dipped into a vat of acetate, and Zerg units got a ridiculous number of spines and teeth, rendering them too impractical to be truly frightening. I don't have much complaint on Terran stuff, though. While the detail did go up, the over-mechanical nature of Terran tech somehow makes it work. Protoss tech is supposed to be graceful, so it makes their design weaker when they're so detailed.

That, and humans are already well designed. We make sense, because we can look natural. Because 'Toss/Zerg aren't real, their "natural" doesn't exist. Unless, in the Zerg's case, you go back to the skeletons that originally inspired SC artists. Honestly, it's all a matter of editing. They needed to simplify it all. Like that slim and trim hydra up there. Looks great.
    Pretty much.

I always liked the efficient nature of the Zerg and the creepy spindly nature of the Protoss, now everything in all three races has bulky armor, really shouldn't be too hard to fix if SC3 ever comes about.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticTemplar View Post
    Actually, ridiculously ornate and impractical armour makes perfect sense for the Protoss. They're the people who charge into machine guns swinging swords even though it is completely within their ability to equip all those Protoss warriors with, I don't know, antimatter guns or what not.
    Protoss do have plasma shields that that they can generate from their own psionic willpower you know. If they really were as haughty as you make them out to be, they wouldn't even be wearing any armour at all because they'd think their shields would be enough.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.