Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Star Wars Trailer

Default New Star Wars Trailer

Eeeee!

Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: New Star Wars Trailer

D'aww, it's so cute when fanboys squee over Wars like that. So dorbz.

In any case, my prediction is that it will be a shallow, visuals-heavy film that will please most general audiences, but not really be anything of worth. I mean, I wanted to believe, but then they got Abrams-a-tron in the director's chair. Ah, JJ Abrams -- the Michael Bay everyone likes for some reason.

I need to make more efforts to be positive. I will say that the voiceover in this trailer was a lot less heavy-handed than a lot of the vapid silliness in other trailers. The whole trailer is a little more peaceful in tone, which I like. It's nice that there's actually a bit of story peeping through as well, not just, "hey, here's that thing you liked from the old movies!" I dunno, maybe this might not turn out to be a generic space movie like modern "Trek." I sure hope so.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

I kept expecting Boba Fett to turn up. That he did not is a good sign, imho.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Star Wars has always been a shallow, visual-heavy series. That's what people like about it. That, and it was ahead of its time/people didn't know any better back then.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

It is true; it is shallow. For example, Lucas himself said about the original story that it's supposed to be the typical good vs evil BS with no gray area and basically that the dark side is cartoon villain material. Though, the expanded universe (or at least part of it) showed that star wars can be fertile ground for richer stories; don't expect any of it in number 7.

With that said, the universe itself has some pretty interesting things(artistically, lore-wise, etc) going on for it that makes it easily lovable even with a lacking narrative. Not all experiences are meant to be mentally illuminating.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Shallowness, for me, is only a problem when the story takes itself too seriously or the writers think they're writing something complex and meaningful but really aren't. [insert Metzen jab] Otherwise, I read different things for different reasons.

I kept expecting Boba Fett to turn up. That he did not is a good sign, imho.
    Don't be so harsh. He was a good villain in Mega Man X and Mega Man X3

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

#BoycottStarWarsVII because recent photos of George Lucas are depressing. Looks like he's realized his life is over (what with releasing a movie this year that literally no one knows about), and it's just the saddest looking rich man I've ever seen.

And I've seen Keanu. In photos.

All he can do now is fuck with is Old Money neighbours. I mean, yeah, that's fun and it's a service to all people, but still, he looks very sad that people will remember Star Wars for longer than they will him because Disnep is an immortal corporate deity.

Also, knowing something of your own creation was sold to the highest bidder (a sad day for any artist, no matter the size of the paycheck), only to discover they take it to newer and greater heights than you ever could... has got to be pretty damn discouraging.

I can't seem to find any recent photos of George. Links?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

There's a few others floating around, but this is the one that sums it up best.

http://www.newsarama.com/23747-georg...rs-comics.html

He looks very sad and it makes me sad. I like to think I wouldn't sell any IPs I'd own, but even just 1,000,000$ can last a lifetime if you're not any more lavish about it than any other lower-middle class person.

If I were him, I'd be most upset that Disney gutted the Expanded Universe. It's rare you see an original creator so giddy over the hundreds of other artists using his setting as a basis for their own stories, and Disney's like 'we'll still sell that stuff, but it doesn't matter at all to the story.'

I get making the post-movie stuff non-canon, but the pre-movie stuff too?

Couple his love for the no-longer-relevant EU and the recent mainstream resuccessening of Star Wars, I'd be pretty bummed too.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 10-21-2015 at 08:01 PM.