Thread: Canuckistan Fed'ral Elections, a Primer

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Default Canuckistan Fed'ral Elections, a Primer

Okay, so we have the Democrats and Republicans like in the States, except we call the Democrats this weird word, 'Liberals', and they're red instead of blue, and the Republicans are called the 'Conservatives' for some reason, and are blue instead of red.

Then there's the NDP. They're basically the Democrats, and they're on every ballot (most of the time), but no one actually wants them to win. Basically, whenever both of the REAL parties have pissed us off enough, we give the NDP 20-25% of the vote just to put the two parties we're actually gonna let win in their place. Basically, the NDP are a threat rather than anyone we actually want to win. You know if they actually do somehow win, it's bad news for the standing of the two real parties.

Then we've got the parties we keep on the ballots here and there -- Green, National Democracy, Marxist, Communist, Libertarian, Rhino. Those are there to fluff up the ballots:

'See!?' cries the triumphant Canadian voter, 'We have so many parties, three main ones and a bunch of others we can vote for easily! We're so much more diverse than the Americans!'

Little does the Canadian voter realize, however, that they have been had. There are only two parties, and a third guy we might vote in if the other two fuck up badly in a short enough amount of time.

But really, they'll never win. Neither will Green or Libertarian or anyone else. If Trudeau wins, he'll fuck up the country like the Liberals always do. Then we'll elect a Conservative, as usual, and then he'll do it. Then we'll go back to the Liberals. Endlessly, a cycle ne'er to be broken, until the end of time.

So remember, citizens: vote Liberal or Conservative. Anything else is as bad as not voting at all.

Default Re: Canuckistan Fed'ral Elections, a Primer

People keep telling me ''go vote! It does make a difference! blah blah blah''.. Maybe for you it does but not for me. Regardless of the party, I agree with any of them at about 50%(which is pretty horrible). Now, add the fact that they've all proven to be untrustworthy in some way or another(see OP) and that makes me 100% numb to the whole campaign. I was kinda hoping to see the NDP win for shits and giggles but their lead completely disappeared around the time that the Niqab ''issue'' became mainstream(democracy is inefficient when 80% of the population lacks rationality). Now, I'm hoping for a Harper minority government with the hope that Liberals and NDP will form a coalition. Maybe 2 idiots can prevent themselves form doing idiotic things?.. Probably not but it'll be kinda interesting at least.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I don't care too much about politicians, but when it comes to the arguments of the economists and other intellectuals behind party policies (more global than just American), I find myself agreeing about 50% of the time. My inability to be overly ideological severely hinders my ability to engage or be engaged by politics. Give me facts or give me death!

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    People keep telling me ''go vote! It does make a difference! blah blah blah''.. Maybe for you it does but not for me. Regardless of the party, I agree with any of them at about 50%(which is pretty horrible). Now, add the fact that they've all proven to be untrustworthy in some way or another(see OP) and that makes me 100% numb to the whole campaign. I was kinda hoping to see the NDP win for shits and giggles but their lead completely disappeared around the time that the Niqab ''issue'' became mainstream(democracy is inefficient when 80% of the population lacks rationality). Now, I'm hoping for a Harper minority government with the hope that Liberals and NDP will form a coalition. Maybe 2 idiots can prevent themselves form doing idiotic things?.. Probably not but it'll be kinda interesting at least.
    If I recall, and this was a few months back if I do remember right, the Green and NDP what a coalition with the Liberals, but Trudeau doesn't/didn't.

Yup, no coalition. http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/elect...rity-1.2520372

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    If I recall, and this was a few months back if I do remember right, the Green and NDP what a coalition with the Liberals, but Trudeau doesn't/didn't.

Yup, no coalition. http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/elect...rity-1.2520372
    In any case, nevermind any of that now! The cycle shall go on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I don't care too much about politicians, but when it comes to the arguments of the economists and other intellectuals behind party policies (more global than just American), I find myself agreeing about 50% of the time. My inability to be overly ideological severely hinders my ability to engage or be engaged by politics. Give me facts or give me death!
    Okay! *cocks rifle*

Oh wait, you wanted the facts, didn't you?

*sighs and walks away*
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Naturally, Canada's satirists (woefully less known in Canada than the Onion) are all over this:

We have the Horatian satire in this: 'Tearful Stephen Harper boards spaceship for return to home planet.'

And we have my preferred Juvenalian type in this: 'Justin Trudeau: Ready or Not, Here He Comes!'

Vice had an interesting take on the whole election, the longest in over a century even!, that I found pretty interesting: The Definitive Explanation for Why You Voted in Justin Trudeau.

As for me, I'm doing a point system to determine how much I like or dislike him by next election:

1 point for anything barely important.
    3 points for important issues that don't affect the entire population (such as marijuana).
    10 points for something that affects literally everyone (TPP, electoral reform, our unending problems with Aboriginal rights).
    Last edited by Sheliek; 10-21-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    Naturally, Canada's satirists (woefully less known in Canada than the Onion) are all over this:

We have the Horatian satire in this: 'Tearful Stephen Harper boards spaceship for return to home planet.'

And we have my preferred Juvenalian type in this: 'Justin Trudeau: Ready or Not, Here He Comes!'

Vice had an interesting take on the whole election, the longest in over a century even!, that I found pretty interesting: The Definitive Explanation for Why You Voted in Justin Trudeau.

As for me, I'm doing a point system to determine how much I like or dislike him by next election:

1 point for anything barely important.
    3 points for important issues that don't affect the entire population (such as marijuana).
    10 points for something that affects literally everyone (TPP, electoral reform, our unending problems with Aboriginal rights).
    I usually hate vice but that was a good read. I honestly didn't even know about the LEAP thing.

As for Trudeau, if he at least implements an electoral reform correctly then I'll be happy even if he fails to balance the budget in ~3 years.