Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what if Kerrigan doesn't survive LotV?

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Default So what if Kerrigan doesn't survive LotV?

I see this being discussed frequently on the Blizzard equivalent of /b/ that is the US story forum, and I got to thinking. Now, this is just my opinion, and I'm quite positive it could be way off base, but does it really matter if Kerrigan dies or not? Blizzard has said that Legacy of the Void will be the end of the Raynor-Kerrigan story. That doesn't mean they kill one or the other (or both) off, though—as much as some of us might hope it does. It just means that arc is done.

An example from another franchise: yeah, the Empire was crippled in Return of the Jedi: Darth Vader was redeemed and died, Emperor Sheev (srsly) Palpatine was assassinated (rightly so, but let's not mince words), and the Empire's (most likely gratuitously expensive and hard to replace) superweapon was destroyed. And also dead ewoks hopefully. The Empire as it stood for decades was pretty much neutered and the good guys won. That story arc is over. But the Empire is still a major player, if not as much as it used to be (in the old EU, anyway; no idea how that'll play out in the new movie), and conflict still happened frequently. I guess you can see where I'm going.

So I'm gonna copy-paste my random story theorycrafting from a thread there, see what you guys think, hear your opinions.

I'm cool if Kerrigan survives and becomes this background entity in future installments. Basically masterminding the Swarm. She's there, and while she is the big-wig in that race's 'political' interactions with the other races, she's calling the shots and everything, I'd really prefer they explore the new-found independence of her minions. She's got the fully independent Stukov, the independent-but-loyal brood-mothers, pretty much the entire notable parts of the primals on her side. She's got a diverse set of minions, and I'd love to see this internal power-play between them. I can definitely see Zagara being a main figure in the zerg after this game regardless of whether Kerrigan lives or not.

In SCIII, here's what I'd love to see:

The StarCraft artbooks so far show a variety of different queen body configurations and roles. Keep the normal queen as we know it, keep Zagara with her iconic queen variation look. All well and good. But bring back the half a dozen other designs Blizzard has revealed, have each brood-mother look different, look like they're perfectly designed for the role they play and have their personalities reflect that. And that's not even pointing out the Swarm in-lore is currently using two (possibly three if the SC1 queen makes a return in AC or LotV; let's call that one the brood queen because she's all about broodlings and parasites): the swarm queen from HotS and what I'd call the hatchery queen from multiplayer.

If Kerrigan remains, we can have Zagara and Naktul and Kilysa (the three currently-living BMs mentioned most frequently), each with different biological makeups, and thus psychological makeups. They play different roles, they have different character, and they could really interact well with each other and the other races (not to mention Stukov and the primals -- and I'm sure there will end up being other primals in a suitably epic zerg story).

If Kerrigan doesn't survive, everything I just said but with a lot of power-play added into the mix. Broodmothers fighting over Kerrigan's legacy and memories in the form of Iszha. Attempting to gain control over Abathur, or create an equivalent to gain an edge over the others. Wars of assimilation throughout the sector and beyond to find the most powerful fauna and flora to incorporate -- we could see diverse broods with diverse units akin to the terrans in WoL and the protoss in LotV. It could be really interesting.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 09-26-2015 at 05:24 AM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: So what if Kerrigan doesn't survive LotV?

To put it shortly, I will do a happy dance. Not that I didn't like how the character started, but, well, you know ...

Kerrigan in her current interpretation makes the Zerg too human, too emotional, too irrational, for what they are and what they should be. At the very least, Admiral Stukov or some one like him should take over, but it might be even better if its purely a Brood Mother or Cerebrate operation. Resurrection of an Overmind? I can only dream.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    To put it shortly, I will do a happy dance. Not that I didn't like how the character started, but, well, you know ...

Kerrigan in her current interpretation makes the Zerg too human, too emotional, too irrational, for what they are and what they should be. At the very least, Admiral Stukov or some one like him should take over, but it might be even better if its purely a Brood Mother or Cerebrate operation. Resurrection of an Overmind? I can only dream.
    That's why I prefaced with an explicit desire that if she does survive, she's an Orcus on the throne style leader, mostly appearing for diplomatic purposes with her reluctant allies. If she survives, I'd be disappointed if she were the main character in the zerg campaigns of tomorrow. Present? Yeah. Make her the DuGalle of the campaign. She's there, she's ordering you around. But you'd be the one getting things done in your part of the sector.

Having any kind of power figure(such as BMs) is a step in the wrong direction imo because this reflects too much our own society. What I'd rather see is the zerg act more like a true swarm intelligence with the complete decentralization of "government". Basically, absolutely no one is ruling them but somehow, the swarm as a whole makes coherent decisions towards self growth. You could see this change of mindset occur as some kind of "cancer" grow in their psi-link. Kerrigan or/and her BMs would be then faced with stopping this new tumor(hopefully, eventually being consumed by it). This would effectively remove any kind of crap introduced in SC2 and return to what I believe the Zergs were meant to be.

Of course, having the Zerg be enemy #1 again would kinda be deja-vu so I'd try to fix this problem by introducing some kind of political/sci-fi intrigue that leads to a new threat. For example(keep in mind that I'm making this up as I go), Valyrian's grandson (screw Valyrian.. he's just a boring WoW's Anduin clone.. better have someone new), being fed fake history lessons about the once "grand Dominion", wants to bring back the glory of his forebear. To achieve this, he takes a page right off of Mengsk book and try to control the zerg swarm to destroy his enemies. Hence, the creation of the tumor. Now, I know that having evil swarm and Mengsk 2.0 is again deja-vu, but this would be my way of paying homage to SC1 while introducing the new big bad threat: psi-energy beings.

Honestly, I thought Xel-Naga were gonna be psi-beings from the start but since Blizzard decided to instead go with upgraded god Protoss or whatever; their loss!.. We'd then learn that psi energy is actually the result of a universe collapsing into SC's universe right at the Kropulu sector. This collision would have been the cause of both the creation of the psi-energy and the void energy. Psi-energy would have been caused by the introduction of new matter into SC's universe while void energy would be caused by the energy released of the destruction of matter.

Mengsk 2.0, by messing with psi-matter would have effectively created a large breach between the 2 universes leading to an increase in psi matter. In the end, concentrated psi-energy would eventually give birth to the psi beings. Psi-beings motive could be to try and increase the breach or something(which would eventually lead to the destruction of SC's universe)...

Ok I'm done...

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    Having any kind of power figure(such as BMs) is a step in the wrong direction imo because this reflects too much our own society. What I'd rather see is the zerg act more like a true swarm intelligence with the complete decentralization of "government". Basically, absolutely no one is ruling them but somehow, the swarm as a whole makes coherent decisions towards self growth. You could see this change of mindset occur as some kind of "cancer" grow in their psi-link. Kerrigan or/and her BMs would be then faced with stopping this new tumor(hopefully, eventually being consumed by it). This would effectively remove any kind of crap introduced in SC2 and return to what I believe the Zergs were meant to be.
    +1 to this.

I would rather this "cancer" (only Kerrigan would see this as a "cancer" given that it would be eroding her power over the Zerg) be a natural development of the Swarm rather than a plot gimmick introduced by Terrans though. It'd be a nice way to give back some agency to the Zerg. Having them evolve to overcome their weakness of having lost the Overmind shows growth and it'll harken back to the inherent power and specialness of their purity of essence being incontrovertible/ something that no outsider (like can Kerrigan) can subvert. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that it'd be the exact same Overmind coming back again since that'd be repetitious but we could tweak the motivation of this new hive intelligence to something that incorporates having to tolerate the existence of other powers that are equal to them for example.

It'd also give them a chance to have a proper reason for inter-Zerg conflict (which we didn't really see in BW) since it brings back something that Kerrigan actually fears (being controlled again) and gives her something else of more equal threat to fight. Having internal wars would also minimise the Zerg from being the #1 threat all the time, too. That's the only reason I can see for keeping Kerrigan around since her current position and power level sort of restricts her from having any more worthwhile forward momentum. Like Mengsk, she's sort of written into a corner such that the only thing they can do with her is to remove her somehow. Would've been nice (like it would've been for Mengsk if they went down that path) had they diminish a character without outright removing them but yet keep it interesting since it's something they haven't really done.

Either way,it has more scope than the current iteration of the Primal Zerg which really just came off as a sudden invention that served only to oh-so-conveniently power-up the Zerg "but in a good way". I can't really see how much more they can be used beyond mechanical plot progression since they have no depth like the Dark Templar/Nerazim.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

The more I think about that possibility, the more I like it.

Turalyon, your idea is why I like the zerg supporting characters. Abathur serves as the zerg "purist", the agent that will logically keep the swarm malleable, efficient and controllable, dehaka is the rogue/ anarchist, who'd only care about himself / individual zerg not being dominated by a single entity; he is loyal to kerrigan because of mutual gain. He can gain essence and thrive in the manner he is accustomed to so long as he doesn't undermine the top dog.

Zagara is kerrigan's legacy. If zagara was killed off or kept as simpleminded as she was in the first encounter, zerg command would continue the overmind and cerebrate model under a different name. The overmind's death, the threat of the hybrid, the growing of the second overmind (broodwar) and amon demonstrate the need for zerg to have unity under leadership of a pack leader, but not one so dependant they are undermined by assasination. Instead zagara is a will that can think for herself and defy Amon or any other entity competing for complete control of the swarm.

I omitted other characters, but the theme is consistent with them too. Kerrigan had a selfish intent behind her actions, but the consequences are a foundation set in motion for the swarm to compensate for the weakness Amon purposely implemented in his design.

^ Yeah, it would be nice to somehow have Kerrigan's "New Swarm" (with supporting "individual" Zerg characters) face off against "Old Swarm" (purity of essence in that the Zerg maintain being Zerg despite change/hivemind/emergent Overmind equivalent). We never really had that before. Honestly, I would actually find that idea more interesting than the current Kerrigan (or everyone) vs Amon thing they have got going on.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

While inter-Zerg conflict would be great, I'd prefer that the BMs be left out of it. They're...well, lame. Zagara is insultingly unintelligent, and it's weird to have any Zerg named "mother." Kerrigan having rivals would be great, though. The "cancer" idea is great.

As far as Kerrigan dying goes, I agree that it doesn't matter now (if she'd died in LOTV that would've been great). I doubt the story will much improve either way, as things are. I just hope they don't end her with a "noble sacrifice." In the end, my personal preference would be that Kerrigan is either (1) allowed by the other races to remain queen of blades to keep any Overmind-like control over the Zerg in check, since she's a human and always lacked the motivation to destroy things the way the Overmind intended -- or (2) Kerrigan is ultimately removed from the swarm, her life in ruins. She then spends the rest of her life in a lab as a test subject to help people become de-infested, and fades out of the plot.
    "Seeing Fenix once more perplexes me. I feel sadness, when I should feel joy."
    - Artanis.

I imagine effective Brood Mothers being mobile Cerebrates, basically