Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legacy of the Void Demo Mode (SPOILER)

unknownone's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Legacy of the Void Demo Mode (SPOILER)

I'm also much more optimistic for the campaign after seeing the whole video, a little bit less for the multiplayer changes.
    Last edited by unknownone; 11-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Isn't this what you wanted - all this epic Protoss and Amon stuff - in the first place?
    Yes, I've said that I want a return to the "epic protoss stuff" because that was the closest thing StarCraft had to legitimate sci fi concepts, but Amon is nowhere in there. I've had nothing but contempt for Amon. When I refer to "epic Protoss stuff" I use that in conjuction with "epic Xel'Naga stuff" and I'm not yet convinced that this "Protoss stuff" is suitably epic or, should I say, complex and thought-provoking enough. Especially since a significant portion of what I was referring to was the promise that Duran held before StarCraft II but that, along with the hybrids overall, has been pretty ham-fisted. Yes, of all the trash I'm much more interested in this, but that isn't saying much. I do, however, expect to enjoy the overall lore of this expansion many times more than the previous ones. I've always enjoyed Protoss more than the others and if I'm going to play trash it might as well be Protoss trash even if I risk burning my cornea by looking at their over-emphasised echnology.

Either way, I was referring to the appearance and overall impression of incompetence that the panel presented during the panel. I wasn't really commenting on the lore itself (since at the time I hadn't even seen it) even though the jist is still the same.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 11-09-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Economist
    Either way, I was referring to the appearance and overall impression of incompetence that the panel presented during the panel.
    Yeah, well, it was obvious they weren't exactly public speakers.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Well according to Crota: "The story telling is back".
    He got a chance to play the 2 campaign missions at Blizzcon apparently, but obviously Blizzard would pick their better ones to show off. I'm excited though.

Here's the video of him talking about it (6:15):

Last edited by Carsickness; 11-09-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    KCCO

So bear in mind I picked this up on the SC2 forum, so...not sure how authentic this info is, but considering no one else has been sharing details on their experience playing the 2 demo missions....here we go.

Dragoons are the auirtech choice for stalker, and they get slightly better stats (more effective hp, more damage against armored targets, but...slower attack speed) and regenerate shields while in combat. So.....if you want mobility stick with the nerazim stalker....or you want meat for your deathball, go dragoon.

"Stalker advantages:
    - blink
    - better DPS on non-armored (due to faster attack - 7 DPS vs 6.25 of dragoon)
    - range starts at 6 (no need for upgrade)
    - faster shield regeneration when not in combat

Dragoon advatages:
    - 20 more HP
    - better DPS on armored (due to more damage - 12.5 DPS on armor vs 10 of stalker)
    - better scaling with upgrades (+2 per upg instead of +1)
    - shield regeneration in combat
    -[allegedly longer range from another poster]"

And this I picked up from a private interview with one of the devs, the nerazim zealot's unique perk is essentially a blinkstrike; instead of the traditional charge the enemy, nerazim teleport right to the enemy.
    Last edited by Jconant; 11-10-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jconant View Post
    nerazim teleport right to the enemy.
    I wonder if that works for cliffs as well.... Probably not though eh, cause how would you get them down... Unless they had auto-blink (charge replacement) and regular blink, which would be awesomely OP
    KCCO

Hey guys, long time no see

My first impressions of LOTV's campaign: Mind = Blown in the best way possible. All my expectations of the storyline seem to have been exceeded so far. Great start to the story and awesome completion of subplots all over the place, such as Narud's role fitting into awakening Amon who now controls an army of hybrids but cannot fully influence the Zerg, thanks to Kerrigan living through deinfestation and becoming a Primal Zerg herself, all the while creating individuality in every Brood Mother, and Zagara as her successor - she had it kind of all planned out, it seems. On the Protoss side, I am expecting the "retake" of Aiur to fail, Zeratul to die, and most likely Kerrigan gets to die as well, and Artanis returns from Aiur with a new problem of galactic proportions, and is rescued by Karax for the eventual revelation that the Protoss race needs to get it together to survive and beat Amon somehow.

So many things happening, and so many story points to discover.

Love it!

For the Multiplayer campaign, Blizzard just dropped the ball for Protoss. I think that's pretty obvious.

Terran and Zerg got some really good designs for units that can open up their gameplay a lot, especially with Zerg Ravagers killing Forcefields and Terran Cyclones making Mech a stronger composition on top of Hellbat and Widow Mine support.

Protoss got a 300 gas Mine/baneling that if the opponent microes as expected, that thing is a giant piece of crap that cannot help the Protoss army at all, except in gimmicky situations where the opponent is not paying attention to his micro or something silly.

Incredibly bad decision-making by Blizzard to shaft Protoss players like this, but I guess since this is "pre-alpha", we can expect the actual alpha to make more sense. The Bnet forums are essentially on fire right now, lol!

Well, that said, some good did come out of it for Protoss:

- Carriers are Protoss' new unit in LOTV; it was extinct in WOL and HOTS. We welcome it back with its awesome new "launch interceptor" ability.
    - Warp Prisms are now really cool! They can pick up units from 6 range, making them extremely good for harassment play and hot pickups without losing the prism unless there is some air support nearby.
    - Immortal change is both good and bad because it makes Immortals less of a hard-counter in TvP, allowing mech to be more feasible in the matchup, but screws up Protoss in PvP and PvZ.

At this stage, we are seeing a lot of demand for an early gate unit that's at cybercore tech that can bolster existing gate units and provide some much needed AA support or high DPS support from range.

This should be interesting.

I am willing to re-think the disruptor and maybe have it do its damage over time instead of in 1 "YOLO" burst, making it more useful against microed armies, but according to Psione (Blizz CM) on the bnet forums, they're already modifying Protoss internally after receiving all the Protoss feedback.

We can only hope now!

"Blizzard just dropped the ball for Protoss"

Literally.

I really hate the "ball shaped" aesthetic they keep going for, it kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiseStratosTygo View Post

Literally.

I know what you mean, but I think it's not all that bad.

For example, on the bnet forums, this Ender guy came up with a nice pic for a new unit that uses a spherical motif, and it looks pretty good imo:

http://imgur.com/a/35D4f#0

DonnyZeDoof's Avatar Junior Member

Literally.

Well they didn't really go for an aesthetic this time. They just reused the model of the replicator for the disruptor.

- - - Updated - - -

Literally.

Well they didn't really go for an aesthetic this time. They just reused the model of the replicator for the disruptor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by protoswarrior View Post

For example, on the bnet forums, this Ender guy came up with a nice pic for a new unit that uses a spherical motif, and it looks pretty good imo:

Looks like an oracle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by protoswarrior View Post

Looks like an oracle.