Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SPOILERS: LotV final mission leaked through Heroes of the Storm datamining (Reddit)

Default Re: SPOILERS: LotV final mission leaked through Heroes of the Storm datamining (Reddi

Guys, look up the HotS and WoL variant of the same string.

UI/WingsOfLibertyDescription=<s val=”CampaignPanelLastMissionTitle”>StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty</s><n/><n/><n/><s val=”CampaignPanelLastMissionDescription”>

UI/HeartOfTheSwarmDescription=<s val=”CampaignPanelLastMissionTitle”>StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm</s><n/><n/><n/><s val=”CampaignPanelLastMissionDescription”>

The descriptions for those are actually the prologue description that's set for the campaign, before you actually even start the first mission. This means LotV will open with Artanis assembling the golden armada to retake Aiur (and it'll probably flop pretty badly, requiring him to seek out Zeratul to re-unite the Protoss, while Zeratul has his hands busy with the Hybrids and/or is facing prison on Shakuras).
    Last edited by The_Blade; 10-02-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Default Re: SPOILERS: LotV final mission leaked through Heroes of the Storm datamining (Reddi

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling View Post
    I wonder -- in StarCraft III, what in Ishmael's name is going to be the WarCraft allegory? For that matter, who will be the antagonists?
    For better or worse, they do have WoW and all it's expansions to grab ideas off I suppose.

If that answer stings/makes you cry, I was just joking. (or am I? )
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    For better or worse, they do have WoW and all it's expansions to grab ideas off I suppose.

If that answer stings/makes you cry, I was just joking. (or am I? )
    Eh, something being derivative doesn't really harm a plot. Everything is derivative. StarCraft II has other, more critical flaws in it. But I don't really think WarCraft can translate into StarCraft after Legacy of the Void. What antagonist will be left? The United Earth Directorate, and I'm not sure how WarCraft would translate into StarCraft III.

Them getting WarCraft ideas wasn't bad, it was just the execution that was flawed. For example, the Voice in the Darkness in the Frontline short-story is an expy of Yogg-Saron (which in turn is an expy of Cthulu). By all means, Lovecraftian elements would be something good; something lacking in the first game. Well, the Zerg were still Lovecraftian but not in a mysterious, more surreal way like the Voice in the Darkness.

The irony is that WarCraft III was a largely verbatim copy of StarCraft. Originality has never been Metzen's strength, one of his strengths is that he can amalmagate a myriad of sources into something decent. Did we care about how unoriginal The Frozen Throne was? Problem is the unoriginality and predictability destroys all suspense and tension. For Frozen Throne, I don't think Metzen's flaws became egregious enough for anyone to start predicting.

Anyhow, I think I'll leave that as my last forum post on any Blizzard site for maybe a few years. Too busy these days. StarCraft II had a huge amount of flaws, but it had a large amount of redeeming qualities too. For a game and even most films, the plot, characterisation and dialogue was relatively excellent, which is somewhat tragic when you think about it. But the reason why I think everyone gives it so much hell is because it could have been so much better. Metzen may be an indulgent writer now, but he never was always like this. All the plot-holes of the game, all the silliness, it didn't have to exist.
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-29-2014 at 05:43 AM.

So, let's see...

Amon resurrects from the dessicated husk of the Overmind, having assimilating the spiritual power of Tassadar and the Khaydarin crystal used by the Overmind, in order to spread its influence across Protoss space. At the climax of the Protoss' invasion of Aiur, Amon strikes at the Khala and severs it. This sends all Khalai into disarray, essentially sparking a new Aeon of Strife. The fleet breaks apart and flees in bits and pieces to the nethermost regions of the Sector.

Zeratul, unaffected by the Strife, must now journey to bind together the fractured Protoss race. In the mean time, Shakuras is sacked by Niadra, whom is possessed by Amon, and either kills all Protoss there or transforms them into Tal'Darim.

Can our heroes save the day???

... I'd actually be okay with this as the plot!
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

^ So I take that this is the start of LotV... with the Protoss getting smashed again? Man, their luck must really suck.

I don't know how the Protoss can keep surviving many more beatings and keep bouncing back again. Looking more and more like another job for D.E.M Man to save the day!!

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling View Post
    The irony is that WarCraft III was a largely verbatim copy of StarCraft. Originality has never been Metzen's strength, one of his strengths is that he can amalmagate a myriad of sources into something decent. Did we care about how unoriginal The Frozen Throne was?
    I disagree. There is no Starcraft equivalent to Terenas' death, the orcs' redemption or the curse of the blood elves - although there are some parallels between Brood War and the Frozen Throne undead campaign.
    I never found The Frozen Throne as lacking originality, if only because the story was not constrained by the gamplay. The plot removed the blood elves from the Alliance, added ogres to the Horde and created entirely new factions with the naga, even though none of this could contribute to the gameplay.

It turned out these campaigns were setting the stage for World of Warcraft, but it didn't really show: the story definitely stood on its own.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I wonder -- in StarCraft III, what in Ishmael's name is going to be the WarCraft allegory? For that matter, who will be the antagonists?
    I'm hoping Kerrigan will go the way of Arthas. Let her battered and abused story arc rest in pieces.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I still think Kerrigan and Zeratul or Artanis are going to merge to create the next cycle of Xel'Naga... Not that they should...
    Last edited by The_Blade; 10-02-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Sounds hot.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Sounds hot.
    It will have action! It will have drama!
    It will have gratuitous alien sex scenes!
    It's gonna be great!