Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: All right people, liven up, BlizzCon 2014's approaching and LotV's reveal is near!

Default Re: All right people, liven up, BlizzCon 2014's approaching and LotV's reveal is near

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I'm pretty sure that changing genres to something like Mass Effect would not only IMPROVE the story but is probably it's only hope. Not that an RTS can't do story telling right but it seams that Blizzard just can't do it anymore. An SP shooter means that they'll HAVE to focus on the story and give it the respect it deserves, on top of it simply being a better way to tell the story.

In fact, the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Blizzard can do their best to make the RTS SP engaging and fail miserably, but that's okay, because then we can just jump over to the StarCraft RPG/FPS and have a decent story telling medium. Of course, that still requires Blizzard to have a decent frame work for the story but that's less of a problem once the constraints of the RTS genre and the SC2 engine are removed, not to mention the freed up resources saved from having to worry about the MP.
    This was the same problem with Westward Studios and the CNC series. But at least there things tied together in the end. Plotholes were still there, but they're not as underlined.

Default Re: All right people, liven up, BlizzCon 2014's approaching and LotV's reveal is near

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    This was the same problem with Westward Studios and the CNC series.
    What problems? There's always been gripes, but C&C3 was a solid entry in terms of lore and story even though I preferred the stronger sociopolitical undercurrents of C&C1 than I did the sci-fi aspects that eventually dominated the story in subsequent entries.

As far as I can tell, the problem was only with C&C4. The story/decision to make it the end of the story was just tacked on and it showed. C&C4 was initially conceived as just a throwaway MP game.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    What problems? There's always been gripes, but C&C3 was a solid entry in terms of lore and story even though I preferred the stronger sociopolitical undercurrents of C&C1 than I did the sci-fi aspects that eventually dominated the story in subsequent entries.

As far as I can tell, the problem was only with C&C4. The story/decision to make it the end of the story was just tacked on and it showed. C&C4 was initially conceived as just a throwaway MP game.
    Tiberian Twilight was one of the worst endings ever. All those years in trying to cover the world in tiberium and all Kane wanted was THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Tiberian Twilight was one of the worst endings ever. All those years in trying to cover the world in tiberium and all Kane wanted was THAT?
    I didn't mind the ending in terms of it's base idea and in context of how the series had shaped itself as it went along (as I said, I still prefer C&C1 where the sci-fi was more of a "it could happen tomorrow" feel to it and the somewhat disturbing and prophetic display of how terrorism was going to be major issue in the coming years). The execution and setup of the thing however, well... let's not get into that.

As it always has been with Kane, everything was all a means to an end to him, it's just that the audience never knew what that end exactly entailed at each given time. That part about him has been a drawcard for that character since C&C1. If another sequel were to come out, it may turn out that all that happened and ended in C&C4 was a means to another, yet undisclosed, end. He still has some potential for mystery at the least which is a very important thing about that character. One just has to look at Zeratul and how all his aura of mystery has evaporated away leaving him a husk of a character/ a walking expository device now. LotV has the potential to make it worse by focusing on him even more.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

This was the same problem with Westward Studios and the CNC series.
    No. It wasn't. Like at all.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    I didn't mind the ending in terms of it's base idea and in context of how the series had shaped itself as it went along (as I said, I still prefer C&C1 where the sci-fi was more of a "it could happen tomorrow" feel to it and the somewhat disturbing and prophetic display of how terrorism was going to be major issue in the coming years). The execution and setup of the thing however, well... let's not get into that.

As it always has been with Kane, everything was all a means to an end to him, it's just that the audience never knew what that end exactly entailed at each given time. That part about him has been a drawcard for that character since C&C1. If another sequel were to come out, it may turn out that all that happened and ended in C&C4 was a means to another, yet undisclosed, end. He still has some potential for mystery at the least which is a very important thing about that character. One just has to look at Zeratul and how all his aura of mystery has evaporated away leaving him a husk of a character/ a walking expository device now. LotV has the potential to make it worse by focusing on him even more.
    And to think they planned for the Tiberium series to continue even after the Kane saga. Now the whole CNC series is dead in the water.