Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Been off of Facebook for a week!

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Been off of Facebook for a week!

    Been off of Facebook for a week - Here's what I learned:

    1. Time is Precious
    2. I have lots of free time when I'm not on facebook.
    3. The effectiveness of my studies is greater when I'm actually learning and not of facebook either during class or at home.
    4. I don't have enough hobbies to keep my occupied.
    5. Reading books have never been so good like it was during this week.
    6. Most of my friends don't contact me when I'm not on facebook.
    7. Those that do are either close friends or family.
    8. Whatsapp.
    9. Deactivating your FB account once in a while is good for your health :P
    10. without FB you're more focused on what's going on in your life and in your family's life regardless of facebook intending to do the opposite.


    Gonna be reactivating my FB tomrrow because we have study groups there but probably going to use it a lot less from now on.
    Just wanted to share that with all of you :P

    ~Xeo


  2. #2
    The_Blade's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,234

    Default Re: Been off of Facebook for a week!

    This is probably one of the greatest wake up calls people need to read. Facebook just blurs your social life in an attempt to actually connect people closer together. I've seen this on both of my siblings, but I've always been bad at finding entertainment in surfing through Facebook.

    Try using Skype too. I've had long chat times with friends there.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Been off of Facebook for a week!

    I need my FB for party-invites and the like, although i havnt been an active poster there for years (as seems regular akso among frinds my age around 30) ... I do realize i spend too much time procratinating there. Indeed, more quality chats are had thru skype...

    still i can relate: ive been way overzealous about seeking attention on dating-sites last few months and i just quit it for realsies two days back. its certianly a constructive change for me, but im not sure how to best spend my time and attention when there isnt social stuff going on. i might take up roll-playing or something. Inspired by the whole rollplaying community thats been cropping up aound the webshows initiated by JP that ive been spending so many hangover-sundays listening to.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

    Hi.

  4. #4
    TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: Been off of Facebook for a week!

    Replace Facebook with internet communication in general and you've got the realizations I've come to recently. I've wasted too much of my life trying to argue with the emotional retards of the world with facts, logic, and data. From the depths of the Battle.net forums to the supposed heights of the best economic debate centers of the internet, pretty much everyone on the internet is a fucking retard and a fucking retard mostly because they are on the internet. Pretty sure everyone's IQ increases 30 points instantly when you log off along with about 50 points off your blood pressure. My happiness and my ability to get to the truth of things has exponentially improved since this realization. The world was a better place before social media.


    --- Oh, damn necros. Got me again.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 10-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.



    Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

  5. #5
    Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,988

    Default Re: Been off of Facebook for a week!

    ^----Truer words haven't been spoken.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Been off of Facebook for a week!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Replace Facebook with internet communication in general and you've got the realizations I've come to recently. I've wasted too much of my life trying to argue with the emotional retards of the world with facts, logic, and data. From the depths of the Battle.net forums to the supposed heights of the best economic debate centers of the internet, pretty much everyone on the internet is a fucking retard and a fucking retard mostly because they are on the internet. Pretty sure everyone's IQ increases 30 points instantly when you log off along with about 50 points off your blood pressure. My happiness and my ability to get to the truth of things has exponentially improved since this realization. The world was a better place before social media.


    --- Oh, damn necros. Got me again.
    Pretty much this. I decided to go back to college and take an accelerated computer science degree. I regularly go to the philosophy meetups on the campus bar and debates/discussions in person are so much more enjoyable than stupid internet squabbles. A huge factor, I've realized, is human face to face & body language. The internet necessarily destroys that, for the worse IMO, and turns would-be-enjoyable "Debates" into shit-slinging-fests. I try to limit social media now to no more than 30 minutes a week (mainly to catch up on event invites and major life events) but yeah. There's a weak relation (not AAA tested but it has seen some academic rounds) that basically entails...more facebook friends = more socially isolated you are. I think for 10 seconds and I can name a few friends who have been twisted by social media. They were a bit 'messed' to begin with, but FB allowed that festering to turn into something far worse. I think people can name a few of these victims if they thought long and hard. You know them - the ones that stalk Facebook for any confirmation or acknowledgement of their existence. The ones that get angry if you don't like their Facebook post (I was seriously confronted about this in RL, I was like "WTF..."), the ones that use FB as tool of social passive aggressiveness.

    It's sickening.


    Quote Originally Posted by dustinbrowder View Post
    You are very weird man. Have you no logic?
    And again you had to be pretty big noob about PC not to know about the change, I mean even the birds on the trees knew about it.

    ...Its like calling throwing stone an athletic competition. Get a grip man and don't write nonsense...
    Shot put anyone?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Been off of Facebook for a week!

    Quote Originally Posted by hyde View Post
    - - - Updated - - -



    Pretty much this. I decided to go back to college and take an accelerated computer science degree. I regularly go to the philosophy meetups on the campus bar and debates/discussions in person are so much more enjoyable than stupid internet squabbles. A huge factor, I've realized, is human face to face & body language. The internet necessarily destroys that, for the worse IMO, and turns would-be-enjoyable "Debates" into shit-slinging-fests. I try to limit social media now to no more than 30 minutes a week (mainly to catch up on event invites and major life events) but yeah. There's a weak relation (not AAA tested but it has seen some academic rounds) that basically entails...more facebook friends = more socially isolated you are. I think for 10 seconds and I can name a few friends who have been twisted by social media. They were a bit 'messed' to begin with, but FB allowed that festering to turn into something far worse. I think people can name a few of these victims if they thought long and hard. You know them - the ones that stalk Facebook for any confirmation or acknowledgement of their existence. The ones that get angry if you don't like their Facebook post (I was seriously confronted about this in RL, I was like "WTF..."), the ones that use FB as tool of social passive aggressiveness.

    It's sickening.
    I disagree on real life debates over internet debates. In my experience, both are just as bad but in different ways. I think the key there to a good constructive debate is simply in finding the good people to argue with. When you do, it really doesn't matter if it's online or not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hyde View Post
    - - - Updated - - -



    Pretty much this. I decided to go back to college and take an accelerated computer science degree. I regularly go to the philosophy meetups on the campus bar and debates/discussions in person are so much more enjoyable than stupid internet squabbles. A huge factor, I've realized, is human face to face & body language. The internet necessarily destroys that, for the worse IMO, and turns would-be-enjoyable "Debates" into shit-slinging-fests. I try to limit social media now to no more than 30 minutes a week (mainly to catch up on event invites and major life events) but yeah. There's a weak relation (not AAA tested but it has seen some academic rounds) that basically entails...more facebook friends = more socially isolated you are. I think for 10 seconds and I can name a few friends who have been twisted by social media. They were a bit 'messed' to begin with, but FB allowed that festering to turn into something far worse. I think people can name a few of these victims if they thought long and hard. You know them - the ones that stalk Facebook for any confirmation or acknowledgement of their existence. The ones that get angry if you don't like their Facebook post (I was seriously confronted about this in RL, I was like "WTF..."), the ones that use FB as tool of social passive aggressiveness.

    It's sickening.
    I disagree on real life debates over internet debates. In my experience, both are just as bad but in different ways. I think the key there to a good constructive debate is simply in finding the good people to argue with. When you do, it really doesn't matter if it's online or not.

Similar Threads

  1. SCLegacy on Facebook
    By Maul in forum Site Issues / Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 12:51 AM
  2. Map editor this week, Mac edition Next week
    By screw_ball69 in forum StarCraft Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 11:53 AM
  3. Facebook: Do you use it?
    By Spartan in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 02:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •