Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoW 5.4 Patch

RetlocLive's Avatar Junior Member

Default WoW 5.4 Patch

So...for those that actually still get around to playing WoW despite its mutilated lore, how was the Garrosh raid? I haven't truly played it since midway through Cataclysm, and I don't plan to return to WoW anytime soon, but seeing how this was something Blizzard has been hyping up since forever, I figured it would be interesting to ask about it.

Vol'jin is apparently the new Warchief.
    Last edited by RetlocLive; 09-13-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: grammar

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: WoW 5.4 Patch

I have never played WoW myself, but a friend is currently in lockdown "raiding". WoW has never been a lore game. An extensive, bonding and entertaining community is what created WoW as we know it.

An extensive, bonding and entertaining community is what created WoW as we know it.
    How ironic; From what I've seen on B.Net, WoWs hardly got a community nowadays. Every new patch just seems to increase anonymity, having the game run rampant with trolls and whatnot; especially when they implemented Raid Finder awhile back.

As for the 5.4 patch; For Alliance, Varian just kinda walked away and allowed the Horde a chance to rebuild with Jaina wanting to continue the war...I guess at some point down the line, Jainas going to become a raid boss. lol

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RetlocLive View Post
    How ironic; From what I've seen on B.Net, WoWs hardly got a community nowadays. Every new patch just seems to increase anonymity, having the game run rampant with trolls and whatnot; especially when they implemented Raid Finder awhile back.

As for the 5.4 patch; For Alliance, Varian just kinda walked away and allowed the Horde a chance to rebuild with Jaina wanting to continue the war...I guess at some point down the line, Jainas going to become a raid boss. lol
    Wow, I really need to bone up on my WC lore. I have no idea what's going on anymore. And I actually enjoyed War3's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Wow, I really need to bone up on my WC lore. I have no idea what's going on anymore. And I actually enjoyed War3's story.
    Same. The lore is all a blur to me ever since Arthas' defeat. Sure I played "some" of Cataclysm, but I hardly paid attention to the lore other then Sylvannas going all Lich King in the Lordaeron starting zones.

This however, was one of those "one time" deals just to see if all the hype surrounding this particular WoW patch paid off. The Raid Boss doesn't actually die off for once so I guess that's something.

Garrosh's trial seems to be next on the list. (Cue obvious redemption arc)
    Last edited by RetlocLive; 09-14-2013 at 09:57 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

WarCraft lore post-WC3 is basically indecipherable. At least you can't tell when its awful. Probably seems deep and complex like an anime or a PSX Final Fantasy simply because it takes some serious intelligence to peice it all together.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    WarCraft lore post-WC3 is basically indecipherable.
    Oh, that's good. Having never touched WoW, I guess there hasn't really been much to be missing out on then.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Even MoP's plot isn't that indecipherable, even though you need to constantly do dailies to unlock quests relevant to the plot. WoW's plot and WarCraft's lore is very simple to understand.

WoWs hardly got a community nowadays. Every new patch just seems to increase anonymity, having the game run rampant with trolls and whatnot; especially when they implemented Raid Finder awhile back.
    One of the reasons there's trolls is because the 'non-troll' community and the game itself is so god-damn boring these days. The only fun thing to do in the game these days is to queue in Raid Finder and to run in and pull the boss screaming this. The last time I played as a subscriber -- months ago, the game was a graveyard on high-pop servers, with low-pop servers -- completely dead.

As for the raid, it's way too easy.
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-15-2013 at 03:15 AM.

WoW's lore is pretty simple...sometimes *too* simple. In addition to there being supplement material in books that are not directly mentioned in the gamed (merely referenced), its hard to sometime connect A to B.
    Wrath of the lich king content is a good example of what I mean, as Mists is a lot more elaborate and thorough in presenting the story arc through multiple venues. Arthas the lich king launches a plague on the rest of Azeroth (wow event prior to the release of the expansion), so the Alliance and Horde launch a campaign to northrend to stop him once and for all. At just about every turn in Northrend, Arthas is there goding you to delve deeper to Icecrown. As you do you learn a lot of different of different facets that tie to the lichking: the clash between him and yog sarron, Arthas' origins, more detail on the origin of humans and dwarves.
    But then you have a character like Rhonin (the mary sue 1.0 of warcraft) appear as the leader of the kirin tor, and has no introduction, no presence really from previous expansions or reference to who he is. Only players who read the background books (scattered in INNs) referencing events authored by Knaak would know who he is. Then he vanishes in MoP, as Jaina Proudmoore is seen as the new leader of the Kirin Tor.
    There is a lot of content laid in the game that sometimes just isn't presented clearly; a lot is dependent on the player being attentive to details, and as much as it is fun to find little gems hidden in the game and unearth knowledge, it isnt really good design to leave players guessing at why they are there.
    Last edited by Jconant; 09-15-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: elaboration and editing

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

WoW has its flaws but I still think its Blizzard's best written story atm.
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.