Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft Universe Kickstarter campaign

Default Starcraft Universe Kickstarter campaign

Hey guys, sorry for the long time no see. I miss some of ya

I got very excited when I got to know Starcraft Universe (former "World of Starcraft") was doing a Kickstarter campaign. A little because I want to play an expanded, high quality version of what they'd already done, but more because of something else.

Let's go for the map/game first, why not? I liked playing the map though I didn't think it had that much replay value. Anyway, I'm bad with the MMO interface. I also don't think I'll find friends enough to play it when it turns it a multiplayer campaign. But anyway, I think playing a high quality fanfic campaign of Starcraft would be a blast.

What would make the game really awesome, ironically, are the stretch goals: Zerg character, MOBA arena, flashback zones, etc. I don't think they'll get there but those would be actually awesome things to play and replay.

But what is really getting me excited about the mod/game/map is what it could mean for the Arcade and for the map maker community... first thing, just imagine all those WoW players and ex-players downloading SC2's Starter Edition just to play "World of Starcraft". All those people would be one step away from experimenting with other Arcade maps, and two steps away from trying melee Starcraft. I think if SCU gets funded, it could the best news for the Starcraft casual scene since WoL's launch.

The other thing is, if this Kickstarter works, hopefully it would motivate other map makers to work harder or go back to work. Hopefully it would make Blizzard rethink their custom map funding policies (right now you can't "sell" exclusive content, but in practice you can give cosmetic rewards), or even hurry up the Marketplace's development.

Well, right now, according to kicktraq, they'll probably make it, but that's not sure yet (the campaign ends in 4 days). I really hope they not just make it, but that they can find a way to fund the Zerg character and the MOBA arena in the future, so their game get really fun to play and draws 'hordes' of players to the Arcade.

SCL, we're lore fans, casual players, map makers. What do you have to say about this stuff?

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Starcraft Universe Kickstarter campaign

Someone donated $10,000.

What the fuck is wrong with that nut?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    But what is really getting me excited about the mod/game/map is what it could mean for the Arcade and for the map maker community... first thing, just imagine all those WoW players and ex-players downloading SC2's Starter Edition just to play "World of Starcraft". All those people would be one step away from experimenting with other Arcade maps, and two steps away from trying melee Starcraft. I think if SCU gets funded, it could the best news for the Starcraft casual scene since WoL's launch.

The other thing is, if this Kickstarter works, hopefully it would motivate other map makers to work harder or go back to work. Hopefully it would make Blizzard rethink their custom map funding policies (right now you can't "sell" exclusive content, but in practice you can give cosmetic rewards), or even hurry up the Marketplace's development.
    Exactly my thought. I wasn't much into the gameplay, but I found the story and acting surprisingly good, and then I realized what a SC2 map gathering $80,000 would mean for the community. I donated about a week ago, and I encourage everyone to do the same.

Yes, the acting was very good! I was honestly impressed. And they have more authenthic Tassadar than WoL does

The gameplay did not impress me either. But it was partially because the of the controls, because I'm bad at MMO's and because mission one babysitted you. When I played Final Testament it all felt better. They pretty much fixed the control issues, I got used to the skill interface and that thing is hard... so the controls aren't top notch yet, not at all. They just stopped being bad and evolved into average.

Which is why I think that, without the stretch goals - Zerg character, MOBA arena, flashback missions - the game will be mostly an interactive fanfiction for me. Which is fair enough.

EDIT: everyone knows you're the one who did it Tychus

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I'm considering donating 10$ or so. I like to see hard work pay off and the things that the both posters are saying make sense.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

FYI, Freespace is working with these guys ^^

I'd like the fans to take the StarCraft lore back to its glory.

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

Will you ignore SC2 lore and simply carry on the lore from Vanilla and BW?
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

SCU is an alternative reality, but I wouldn't mind Zeratul's line, "Tassadar! but you died!" ignored forever, just like Shadow of the Xel'naga.

I donated 10 bucks too Tychus. I wish I could give more and I'll give another 5 if the project needs it in the final day.

FYI, Freespace is working with these guys ^^
    Blade, since Freespace is pretty much part of SCL crew and this is forum with focus on lore, mods and casual play, couldn't you put the kickstarter or the boss raid video on the first page?

SCL has a lot more following than it has forum posts. Just look at the SCL battle net group.

Well I can't speak for the creators, but one of the things that attracted me in the project is that in the Kickstarter opening video, the project leader said what attracted him in Starcraft was the dark atmosphere... and Starcraft Universe atmosphere is dark indeed. So I believe that if they get to produce more content, it will be dark as well. At least I'm counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TSCR View Post
    TL: DR the StarCraft Universe lore is that of the alternate timeline where Kerrigan dies and the Hybrids win.

So I'd say in the SCU timeline StarCraft II happens exactly as it does, but diverges at a critical point -- when Raynor blocks Tychus' shot. In the SCU timeline, Raynor doesn't, and Kerrigan dies. The Hybrids successfully invade, and the Protoss' last-stand occurs; and Zeratul dies. However, survivors in holdouts called 'asylums' live on, both Protoss/Terran.

Here.
    Last edited by LestersPetZergling; 09-07-2013 at 07:25 PM.