Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Default Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

^ I'd doubt we'd really get any real grey from an antagonist now known to be called the Angel of Death. Malthael's probably just going to be another grimdark big-bad.

I don't see the big deal whether the villain is an angel or a demon anymore since the nephalem are more powerful than both and are only going to be more omnipresent in the universe as time goes by... unless a plot device reinstates the previous status quo to justify having another game called Diablo IV. As much as I dislike Adria's representation in D3 and Magda, they are probably going to be representative of future villains leading to things like evil nephalem since the angels/demons thing is fast becoming seemingly irrelevant.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    ^ I'd doubt we'd really get any real grey from an antagonist now known to be called the Angel of Death. Malthael's probably just going to be another grimdark big-bad.
    Due to Blizzards previous villains, the odds are small; but you can't classify "the Angel of Death" as a sure antagonist. If something good came out of Diablo 3 is that divine or evil interaction create chaos among the people of sanctuary. This idea may evolve into a proper gray plot. Examples of great gray "angels of death" are: the horseman of Death (supernatural) and the narrator of the book thief.

There's already a shit-ton of theories regarding Malthael's newfound powers over death. Some think they were granted to him by an unknown force, like perhaps Trag-Oul, the patron of the Necromancers. Whatever the case, it's interesting to note that Tyrael's sword, El'druin, will not harm beings with righteous intent -- and it passed through Malthael on his way to claim the Black Soulstone. Just food for thought.

It's been confirmed that we're going to the Pandemonium Fortress. I think Malthael wants to purify the Soulstone so it can be used to replace the Worldstone.

I think Malthael's aim is to destroy the spirits of the Prime Evils in the Black Soulstone by placing the Archangels in it as well, balancing and purifying it. He tried to reap Tyrael's angelic essence in the intro cinematic, only to find Tyrael no longer possessed the Aspect of Justice. I think this will come back to bite everyone in the ass; it was Tyrael's very selflessness that dooms Malthael's plans, and therefor keeps the Black Soulstone corrupted.

I'm hoping RoS ends on a tragic, dire note, but the next expansion will probably see the return of happiness and Disney sunsets; Leah's spirit will be released by the end of RoS, we'll rescue her in the next expansion, and she'll reveal how to purify the Soulstone.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 09-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

It's interesting to note that Tyrael's sword, El'druin, will not harm beings with righteous intent -- and it passed through Malthael on his way to claim the Black Soulstone. Just food for thought.
    Remember, this is Blizzard. There's probably nothing to infer from this. They simply thought it would make a cool scene and so they made it, lore be damned.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    He tried to reap Tyrael's angelic essence in the intro cinematic, only to find Tyrael no longer possessed the Aspect of Justice. I think this will come back to bite everyone in the ass; it was Tyrael's very selflessness that dooms Malthael's plans, and therefor keeps the Black Soulstone corrupted.
    Shouldn't he have just reaped the aspect of Wisdom as Tyrael is supposed to embody that now right? Or is Tyrael's promotion just "in name only"? Either way, meh.

Having Malthael's plans come to screeching halt due to Tyrael losing his angelic divinity is somewhat convenient/ironic considering that there wasn't really a strong reason why Tyrael had to lose his angelic divinity in the first place. I know it was to warn humanity but he could have just as easily written a letter or something else...

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Remember, this is Blizzard. There's probably nothing to infer from this. They simply thought it would make a cool scene and so they made it, lore be damned.
    This makes so much sense that it's depressing.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

I don't think Malthael wants to put the archangels in the black soulstone as well, I think it's more like he wants to purge all demonic essence from humanity.

Hidden Content:

Then he will use those essences to craft imba BiS items that will in turn make Malthael ironically a mix between angel and demon.

Or, maybe, he's infested!

DA-DUH-DUUUUUUUUH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Or, maybe, he's infested!

DA-DUH-DUUUUUUUUH!!!!
    I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

I'll just leave this gem here and come back later to help you all up off the floor.

Last edited by TheEconomist; 09-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Hurrr.

You people realize that, despite the loads of bad reviews from members of forums like this one and others... we might as well go ahead and call this Diablo III: Rapist of Wallets.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.