Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Default Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Kinda unimpressed by the teaser trailer. :\

Here ya go.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 08-21-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Man, I really hope they have a good reason for suddenly making Maltheal, an angel, the bad guy.

Haha. As if. Blizzard writing will never make sense again.

To be fair, they've been hinting at it for a long time now, so I don't think we can call them out on it.
    Aaand sold.

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

I actually like their return to darker graphics.

I just hope the story is better. Diablo III got a new lead designer and he said he wants to return Diablo to its roots: a dark horror game. With the darker graphics and the brief dialogue in the opening cinematic, it looks like this new lead designer is on the right track. I just hope he can manage to pull through till the end.
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Several things I love about this cinematic:
    1) The dark horror aspect.
    2) Malthael has a seriously badass grim reaper vibe. When his entire head warped to the side, I almost shat my britches. :P
    3) Blizzard CGI. Never fails to impress.

Yet after bitchslapping the combined might of all evil to the 13th layer of hell in the last game, I don't see why this guy should pose a challenge. And I just do not like Tyrael's human voice-actor/model. Anyway, this is something I might buy once it's on sale for like 15 bucks, but 60 dollars for D3 was my most regretted purchase in video games.

PS: Deaths in Blizzard games have been getting way too PG. We didn't get to see those guys' heads sliced off, and we didn't get to see Mengsk die in SC2, because Blizzard has to make their stories accessible to children.
    Last edited by Gradius; 08-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

This is the first thing I've seen since the original reveal that even remotely resembles Diablo 1 & 2.

Which will only make it all the much worse when the expansion does nothing to solve the core problems. Hope reopens all wounds.

60 dollars for D3 was my most regretted purchase in video games.
    Diablo 1 & 2 are just behind StarCraft 1 to me in terms of importance in my gaming life. Yet, I agree, I regret spending 160$ (yes, one hundred sixty) on this. I bought the CE. Did the same for WoL and HotS, didn't regret a thing.

Oh D3, such a disappointment. Too bad this had to be what introduced you to the series.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

If the expansion is seriously going to have any form of longevity, it would need some alternate gameplay modes aside from having no other choice but to continually grind through the very linear campaign and cringe-worthy exposition. The new timed "loot run" mode sounds interesting. I wonder if they're finally going to release a proper PvP mode (not including that patch job they eventually let out and which should have been part of the game itself in the first place given its simplicity)?

Funnily enough, the campaign/story and lore of Diablo is not something I feel is important to the game anymore. Even if it does happen to get that "old feeling" back, to me, it still kinda reeks of this repetitious vibe of "...and then this happened...".

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Yet after bitchslapping the combined might of all evil to the 13th layer of hell in the last game, I don't see why this guy should pose a challenge.
    Well, it's potentially different this time because the guy is an angel in possession of the "combined might of all evil". Taken together, he might be a match for the nephalem who are powerful because they are the combined might of angel and demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    we didn't get to see Mengsk die in SC2, because Blizzard has to make their stories accessible to children.
    Nah, it's really because they can retcon Mengsk into coming back later when they realise they need something to appease the old guard in future games. *CoughStukov*

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Which will only make it all the much worse when the expansion does nothing to solve the core problems. Hope reopens all wounds.
    *Nods sagely in agreement*
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

They said they still have unannounced features for the expansion, I just hope they fix all the problems with the loot and shit first.

Well remember Blizzard still has a second unannounced expansion to follow this one, so they may leave some things "unfixed" so they can be improved in that one. :\
    Aaand sold.

If the nephilem doesn't try to save Leah's soul, I will be absolutely amazed.