Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Default Re: What Are You Watching?

The Wire requires a certain headspace in order for it to be "enjoyed". Comparatively, it's very slow and not about twist and turns but the pace really makes the eventual pay-off in later developments sing. That said, the subject matter, the characters and developments can quickly fly over your head if you're not on your toes.

I kinda liken in to a slice-of-life, faux documentary. Being an Aussie, I have no idea what the city of Baltimore is really like, but the show seems to capture it very well. I still think it's possibly the best conceived piece of television I've ever seen.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

So am I the only one who watches the new series, Beware the Batman? It's one of the most well written cartoons in recent years. It's original by using Batman's lesser known villains such as Anarky, brings Batman back to his dark roots and doesn't treat the audience like an idiot (this is especially important because being a kid doesn't mean your stupid and can't appreciate good writing; something most people seem to be unaware of). It's get way too much flak from people who can't get over the fact that Young Justice got cancelled for it. I think it's a worthy successor.
    Last edited by TSCR; 08-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Being an Aussie, I have no idea what the city of Baltimore is really like
    I've never been there personally but I've had tenants that lived there and from what I hear it's not too far off.

But, yeah, I agree with what you said. If you have the right mindset, The Wire will definitely deliver, otherwise, you'll probably be wondering what the big fuss was over it.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TSCR View Post
    So am I the only one who watches the new series, Beware the Batman? It's one of the most well written cartoons in recent years. It's original by using Batman's lesser known villains such as Anarky, brings Batman back to his dark roots and doesn't treat the audience like an idiot (this is especially important because being a kid doesn't mean your stupid and can't appreciate good writing; something most people seem to be unaware of). It's get way too much flak from people who can't get over the fact that Young Justice got cancelled for it. I think it's a worthy successor.
    So what do you think of the various Batman animated series?

I thought Young Justice was a horrible parody. The Joker at 0:13. The Batman got a lot of flak for being supposedly a kids series but it was overtop and cartoony in the way that is good, even though it wasn't that deep.

After the Dark Knight series I would prefer that Batman revert to something a bit lighter. But the Joker's not going to be in Beware the Batman it seems, thus there's a lot of (dark) comedic relief stripped away. For example, even in the Dark Knight the Joker was funny; Scarecrow fulfilled this role in Batman Begins but when there was no comedic villain things got extremely dark and depressing in the Dark Knight Rises, even though Bane's voice is silly. So this seems to be heading off in unexplored directions.

TSCR's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LestersPetZergling View Post
    So what do you think of the various Batman animated series?

I thought Young Justice was a horrible parody. The Joker at 0:13. The Batman got a lot of flak for being supposedly a kids series but it was overtop and cartoony in the way that is good, even though it wasn't that deep.

After the Dark Knight series I would prefer that Batman revert to something a bit lighter. But the Joker's not going to be in Beware the Batman it seems, thus there's a lot of (dark) comedic relief stripped away. For example, even in the Dark Knight the Joker was funny; Scarecrow fulfilled this role in Batman Begins but when there was no comedic villain things got extremely dark and depressing in the Dark Knight Rises, even though Bane's voice is silly. So this seems to be heading off in unexplored directions.
    I thought the original series was great. The Batman just didn't suit my tastes. It just was a bit too kiddy.

Beware the Batman doesn't have much humour but it does have irony which some people may find humourous especially if you saw the latest episode
    Interested in the concept of storytelling in video games?

Please visit my blog where I analyse storytelling in video games.