Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E3 2013: Hopes, Fears, and Projections

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: E3 2013: Hopes, Fears, and Projections

some of us find cockroaches, others find butterflies.
    That wasn't some abstract statement. They ARE cockroaches. If you find cockroaches appealing, well, whatever floats your island.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

What floats my island is the Master Emerald actually.

Anyway, some E3 stuff is showing up, so rambling all pre-emtively like:

-Microsoft continues to be a dick with the Xbox One, dicking us all pre-emptively like. Well, Microsoft, consider yourself castrated.

-Project Titan is revealed ahead of time as Titanfall. Looks interesting. Nothing that hasn't been seen before, but hey, mechs. Everyone loves mechs.

-I admit to liking the look of Lightning Returns...but then the characters start talking.

-I don't know why David Hayter wasn't brought back for Metal Gear, but I'll give Kojima the benefit of the doubt. Need to look up more on Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, but at least they look more like Metal Gear games than Revengence...ugh.

So yeah. Expect more rambles, rants, and squees in the days ahead.

You had me thinking Blizzard released information about Titan.

But, instead, meh.

No such luck with Titan. I'm holding out hope for a cinematic trailer of sorts at BlizzCon though. If the game needs a revamp that will see it released in 2016 at the earliest, but also allowed most of its staff to be transferred to other projects, I'm guessing the game is basically done, only needing tech upgrades. A three year gap between announcement and release could also fit Blizzard's recent M.O. (SC2 announced in 2007, released 2010, D3 announced in 2008, released in 2012).

And as for more E3 stuff, saw the trailer for Lords of Shadow 2. Seems to be approaching God of War territory moreso than the original, but hey, still looks awesome.

I don't know if you know this or not, but they announced that Keifer Sutherland would be the voice for snake.

Thoughts?

I'm not a huge MGS fan but Snake's voice was one of the things I really liked about the games. I can't recall Keifer's voice off the topic of my head but I doubt his voice can be as memorable.

Mixed thoughts about this. Basically they can be summed up as the following:

Pro: Big Boss/Naked Snake is an older man now, on the verge of being the antagonist in the original game (less than a decade in the fiction's timeline). It makes sense his voice would change.

Con: Solid Snake suffered premature aging before/during Guns of the Patriots, and Hayter still voiced him.

Pro: Sutherland was chosen for mo-cap work, for facial expressions, something that I highly regard in visual mediums.

Con: I know nothing about Sutherland, so I have no frame of reference. And there's still a difference between mo-cap and acting.

So yeah, I'm pretty much on the fence. I'll give Kojima credit in that I understand why he chose Sutherland, whereas most of Hayter's acting work is voice acting. But I really need to hear Sutherland as Naked Snake (or Big Boss...seriously, how long is he going to put off using that title?) to assess whether the trade-off was worth it.

This was easily the best e3 in a long while. The only disappointment was again the Xbox One and that is even with the announcement of a new Killer Instinct. Thank god Titanfall is gonna be on pc. Also: 399$ ps4 = not bad.

Xbox One? Surely you mean Xbone?

But yeah, I certainly enjoyed this year's E3, how it was a crux point for the console wars, taking me back to the days in the school playground as to whether the Genesis or SNES was the better console. That being said however, while it'll be awhile before I buy any next-gen console (next purchase will probably be a PS3, to round up the 360 and Wii), I have to say that I think Sony 'won' this E3. With its DRM and increased price, the only reason I'd buy an Xbox One is if it had exclusive games I greatly desired. So, as far as exclusivity goes that I'm interested in, that only really covers Titanfall (which will be released on the PC and 360 anyway), and...well, part of me wants to say Halo 5, but combining a lackluster trailer and contrasting it with Destiny...sorry Microsoft, I had fun with the 360, but you probably won't see me on the Xbone for awhile.
    Last edited by Hawki; 06-14-2013 at 10:46 PM.

It seems the 3rd generation curse for console makers is unavoidable.