Kerrigan:

Art:

Sound:
    SC1
    SC2
    Fanmade

Dialog:
    SC1:
    Once again I stand atop the broken bodies of my enemies... Victorious but not unscarred. The Earth-borne Directorate has been destroyed. And the Overmind lies dead and trampled beneath the ashes of Char. As for my unlikely allies, I think that I shall allow them a reprieve. For in time I will seek to test their resolve, and their strengths. They will all be mine in the end, for I am the Queen of Blades. None shall ever dispute my rule again.
    SC2:
    Do you think death is the worst thing that can happen to you here? Infestation is what's coming for you. Soon all will serve the swarm!
    Artanis:

Art:

Sound:
    SC1
    SC2
    Fanmade 1, Fanmade 2

Dialog:
    SC1
    Executor! Our sensors have just identified a large group of Terran vessels. However, their configuration profile is unlike any Terran group yet encountered. We are receiving a transmission from the fleet's command ship, identifying itself as the Aleksander.
    SC2
    This is Hierarch Artanis commanding the Shield of Aiur! Our matrix-fields are within range! Engaging mass recall! My brethren, hear me! For there is little time left. All that remains of our race, our civilization, are those that stand beside you now. Trust in each other. Strike as one will! Let our last stand burn a memory so bright, we will be remembered forever! En taro Tassadar!
    Overmind:

Art:

Sound:
    SC1
    SC2
    Fanmade

Dialog:
    SC1
    I am well pleased young Cerebrate, and so long as my prize remains intact, I shall remain pleased. Thus, its life and yours shall be made as one. As it prospers, so shall you. For you are part of the Swarm. If ever your flesh should fail, that flesh shall be made anew. That is my covenant with all Cerebrates. Now you have grown strong enough to bear the rigors of warp travel with the Swarm. Thus we shall make our exit from this blasted world and secure the Chrysalis within the Hive cluster, upon the planet Char.
    SC2
    On a distant, shadowed world, the protoss will make their final stand. Their heroes will gather, their forces will be marshaled, and they will die bravely. But still, they will die. And my zerg... will be slaves... to the hybrid. All will bow before the power... of the Fallen One.
    Tassadar:

Art:

Sound:
    SC1
    SC2
    Fanmade

Dialog:
    SC1
    General Duke, I am Tassadar, and you are well known to me. Whatever leniency I extended to you and your comrades before, may have been in error. If you persist in halting our course, we will burn your pathetic fleet down to the last man.
    SC2
    Not always. The zerg were... altered. A single over-riding purpose was forced upon them the destruction of our people. The Overmind was formed with thought and reason... but not free will. It screamed and raged within the prison of its own mind.

Zeratul:

Art:

Sound:
    SC1
    SC2

Dialog:
    SC1
    You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare.
    SC2
    Protoss brethren, heed me! The last twilight has fallen. The galaxy burns around us! The terrans have been consumed. We are all that stands against the shadow. But if we are to meet our end this day, then we will do so AS ONE! En Taro Tassadar!

Default Re: Character Comparison - SC1 vs SC2

Yeah, so what's your point?

Also, you do realize Artanis' model in BW is basically the same as the dark templars'? Slight little cock-up which iirc blizzard even admitted to.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    Yeah, so what's your point?
    "Character Comparison"

Also, you do realize Artanis' model in BW is basically the same as the dark templars'? Slight little cock-up which iirc blizzard even admitted to.
    No. The screw-up was that he didn't have nerve cords, not that he's using the dark templar model. There was no dark templar model in BW.

Question Re: Character Comparison - SC1 vs SC2

Speaking of Zeratul [which we weren't doing, and who wasn't even compared], I vaguely remember Samwise or someone saying that they'd wanted to give him a completely unique character model, but ran out of time.

Or maybe I'm thinking of Tassadar. . . I believe they gave him his Psionic Strike attack to set him apart from his High Templar brethren.
    Last edited by nocommayes; 11-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Actually originally all High Templar had the psonic strike, Queens had the Glaive Wurm, etc.

Gradius, I think phazon was talking about this.

Any change we see a Zeratul comparison? Come on, you know you can do it.

One could hint you're being unfair because you picked the best lines from SCBW and the worst of WoL. Not me, certainly.

I think the WoL Tassadar quote you presented is OK. Tassadar speaks just like that in SC, he's just talking about a different subject. Kerrigan's lines in WoL are terrible (maybe because they're short and dialogues in general are too cheesy?). Artanis obviously went through development, no problem with that.

The way the Overmind communicates to their Cerebrates and the way he remembers things are obviously different. And obviously this is a nitpick from me because in both ways English or even verbal communication propable weren't being used. So you do have a point; maybe this wasn't a good characterization, but then again, I think it is OK for a character to communicate one way in dialogues and other way in mission descriptions. That's the same reason why I see no problem with Zeratul talking to himself about how he should push keyboard buttons to jump cliffs.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    Gradius, I think phazon was talking about this.
    Isn't that just Zeratul? He had his own model/face: http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/im...ryXelNaga1.jpg

Any change we see a Zeratul comparison? Come on, you know you can do it.
    I mainly did these for the comparisons to the fan-made sounds. I think that most fan-made sounds so far are way closer to SC1 than SC2's sounds are. To my knowledge, nobody has really done a good Zeratul. Though if you guys know someone, I'd be happy to try to work my magic on a sound sample.

One could hint you're being unfair because you picked the best lines from SCBW and the worst of WoL. Not me, certainly.
    That would be pretty sad & depressing since I picked my favorite lines from both games. :P

I think it is OK for a character to communicate one way in dialogues and other way in mission descriptions. That's the same reason why I see no problem with Zeratul talking to himself about how he should push keyboard buttons to jump cliffs.
    But why not save that stuff for where it belongs: tips & help dialogs?

And now it's back to "which voice is better?" Starring...yeah, I don't want to be seen wearing a tuxedo, so I'll skip the intro. So, for each character, voices from best to worst IMO (going by voice samples and lines):

Kerrigan-Voice Samples

*SC1
    *SC2
    *Fanmade

Kerrigan-Grad Lines

I think the BW line is more memorable. However, Kerrigan's voice acting/lines never really bothered me in SC2 due to...well, I'll put it this way. In SC1 and BW, Kerrigan was an 'active commander.' Someone on the frontlines, who had to deal with a situation where she had to play an active command role. In SC2, she feels distant. Unreachable. Like the Overmind, something unknowable. Which is good, because it shows how far she's gone in a way. Which in turn, feeds in with the prospect of de-infesting her and eventually saving her.

Artanis-Voice Samples

*SC1
    *Fanmade 1
    *Fanmade 2

SC2 sample doesn't seem to work.

Artanis-Grad Quotes

SC2 one hands down. But again, it's an unfair contest. You can't compare an observation with a pre-battle speech.

Overmind-Voice Samples

*SC1
    *Fanmade
    *SC2

Overmind-Grad Quotes

I can't choose a winner. The contexts are too different.

Tassadar-Voice Samples

Only the SC1 and fanmade samples work, and the fanmade is too short to judge.

Tassadar-Grad Quotes

Again, can't choose. The contexts are too different, as is Tassadar's mental and physical essence at the time of their uttering.

If only we could get the original VAs to do the new lines (impossible, I know) and the new VAs to do the old lines (why would they bother?). Then we could have a proper "who's better?" contest!
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    If only we could get the original VAs to do the new lines (impossible, I know) and the new VAs to do the old lines (why would they bother?). Then we could have a proper "who's better?" contest!
    /thread

Turalyon has opened my eyes

But the writing was still horrible.
    Last edited by The_Blade; 11-23-2012 at 01:51 PM.

I still maintain that Mohandar's VA should have done Zeratul instead. I think it would have sounded waaay better.

Maybe we'll eventually get a mod to do that for us.