Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Story - Carrier

Default Short Story - Carrier

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lor...ries/carrier/1

Continuing the trend of protoss stories, we have another one, focussed on the carrier. And the story is called...Carrier. Huh.

For all the powers of the protoss, apparently originality isn't one of them.

Edit: So, after reading it, few thoughts:

-Love the cover artwork. It's nice to see the old SC1/BW carrier in some form.

-Like the 'meta' aspects of the story - void ray replacing the carrier, carriers looked down upon...kind of like the game really...

-Story was decent. Iaalu is on his own most of the time, but unlike Perfect Symmetry, it didn't feel tedious. It was also nice to get a Khalai Caste protoss as the protagonist, something we haven't had often.

-Like the interior descriptions of the carrier. Learn about it throughout the story, avoids an info-dump, etc.

-If the story has a weakness, it's Vanass's plan. Even ignoring the fact that every protoss she kills will end up letting preservers know she's betrayed them (unless preservers are out of range, but if so, it's never mentioned), is destroying your own carrier and crew really going to convince the Great Fleet that the class needs to be retired? I know it's sucking up resources as she puts it ("you require more vespene gas!") but the zerg are the zerg. They evolve. They also kill, dumbass. Internal strife isn't what the protoss need right now.

Still, good story overall.

Edit 2: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/964...rrier-5_9_2013

Story layout has been altered a bit. If it holds true for future ones, I'm guessing we'll get at least two more short stories. Project Blackstone seems to be nearing its end with the recent zergling release, so 2 weeks could be enough time to wrap up both series.
    Last edited by Hawki; 05-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Short Story - Carrier

Nice. The last protoss short story was one of my favorites, it read like an actual sci-fi. I hope this one is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    For all the powers of the protoss, apparently originality isn't one of them.
    Mayhap...

Or is it only that they need not flaunt their originality in such an infantile test of will? :P

AHH

HE DREW THE OLD CARRIER DESIGN

Edit: story was pretty meh, though.
    Last edited by Robear; 05-10-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Aaaaah carrier has arrived aaaaah! Love that wallpaper!
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

This is one of the stories where I didn't understand what happened in the end. He has a khydarin amulet, there is a psi storm, the amulet is shattered, then the Khalai feels the ship, which lifts off despite having crashed on the planet.
    ... so what exactly happened?

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

This was pretty "meh".

Quote Originally Posted by Telenil View Post
    This is one of the stories where I didn't understand what happened in the end. He has a khydarin amulet, there is a psi storm, the amulet is shattered, then the Khalai feels the ship, which lifts off despite having crashed on the planet.
    ... so what exactly happened?
    He turned into energy like protoss are prone to doing and became a living crystal that powered the ship.

good story, just a detail that I feel has been missing in the stories that are supposed protoss is have a teleportation systems when they are killed and has not been working in stories Portoss
    Last edited by drakolobo; 05-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.

I didn't buy the motivation behind Tenzaal's actions at any rational level. As I take it, she kills her own people remorselessly and indiscriminately just because she doesn't like Carriers and thinks they're obsolete. WTF?

If it can be reasoned that the Carriers themselves are directly responsible for ending many Protoss lives then sure, she may have a point. But to kill off the veteran crew of a storied and highly successful warship (which may go to show that it's perhaps not the ship that's the problem) and by warping directly into a hornet's to prove that the ship's design is a dangerous piece of crap therefore justifying that all carriers should be destroyed no matter the cost is insane troll logic.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

How small are the Interceptors in this?

They are pretty large in the cinematics (comparing it to the Carrier in the Death of the Overmind), but here, it makes it sound like its smaller then a Hydralisk.

Also, Crazy Protoss is a Crazy Protoss.

Do you think Tenzaal was in fact someone in Dustin Browder's team? They did want to remove all carriers from service, just because their effect on the outcome of battles wasn't obvious. It almost feels the story is about that.