Thread: Short Story - Lens of the Void

Default Short Story - Lens of the Void

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lor...-of-the-void/1

Well, another short story went up. Well, I'm sure it's just another terran vs. zerg and...wait a minute...another protoss one?

So, right now I'm torn between the inclination of "yay, something other than terran vs. zerg," and "but after Cold Symmetry, do I want more protoss stories?" Guess I'll find out.

Edit: So, having read it...um...meh?

I add the question mark because it's the type of "meh" that stems from the story being one of extremes rather than okay overall. On one hand, I like the Khalai/Nerazim interaction, insight into the Void, etc. On the other, all the fight scenes feel like something out of a multiplayer match, and we all know how well that went in Shadow of the Xel'naga. On one hand, I felt the writing had too much author's voice in it. On the other, it was at least refreshing to have protoss characters interact with each other rather than monologue akin to Cold Symmetry.

So, um, yeah. Could have been better, could have been worse.
    Last edited by Hawki; 04-25-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Default Re: Short Story - Lens of the Void

So, uhm, yeah... that happened.

I've read better fan fiction. But we get a sense for how VRs function: very similar to the Temple of Shakuras, though the Khalai energies are mediated by technology while the Void still requires an individual to channel it.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Also it tells us that Protoss ships actually have a bridge crew, something which we'd never really seen as far as I can remember. Like, there was no way of knowing before if Void Rays were piloted by a single dude, or if carriers were mostly automated, etc.

And I'm digging that Void Ray art, it really looks as graceful as a Protoss ship should. Much better than mine.

We knew that carriers had a bridge crew for awhile, but yeah, it at least gives us void ray bridge info.

I felt the writing had too much author's voice in it.
    That's what I felt as well. Although it was nice to have Protoss interacting with each other, the story was rather predictable.

It's interesting the way he charaterized the Void. It's like some untamed beast, barely restrained in its confines. Maybe its defining trait is that it consumes, opposed to the Khala's fulfilling grace. Is there some base intelligence within the Void that makes it act this way, or does it simply tap into the "darker" aspects of an organism's psyche?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

If I were a cynic, I'd say the way the Void was portrayed in that regard was basically just applying another name to the Dark Side of the Force.

But similarities aside, it's something I noticed too. I wouldn't go so far to call the Void intelligent though, more that use of its power has risks, is addictive, etc. It's something I'll give the author credit for in a sense - the Khala is communal, the more protoss that are in it, the 'richer' it is. The Void is something that exists whether protoss use it or not, and each protoss has to use it in their own way responsibly. That's why Nerazim warp blades are green instead of red. Like Narud's...

Wait a minute...
    Last edited by Hawki; 04-27-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Ah, but our "Dark Side of the Force" is different! Least of all, it doesn't come with a side helping of evil.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.