Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zerg evolution options

Default Zerg evolution options

Blizzard has been posting screenshots of the updated evolution choices for some of the basic units. Some of it we already are familiar with, but with this we have more details.

Corpser (roach): Enemies that die quickly after being attacked by a corpser will spawn 2 roachlings.
    Vile (Roach): Slows enemy attack and movement speeds by 75%. (Heroic units by 20%)

Raptor (zergling) : Leaps over obstacles and onto targets. Jumps up and down cliffs. +2 damage.
    Swarmling (zergling): Spawns 3 lings instead of 2. Faster build time: "almost instantly"

Splitter (baneling): Splits into 2 smaller "baneling spawn" after death. spawn deal less damage.
    Hunter (baneling): Leaps over obstacles and onto targets. Jumps up and down cliffs.

I like the options available here much more to what tech options terran had in WoL. I can see situations where either strain will be useful, and being able to switch between the two depending on the type of mission I'm doing is going to be appreciated. Too many times in WoL i find myself thinking "you know what, if I only had X upgrade, tech, or mercenary instead of what I've chosen this mission would be a whole lot easier".

Default Re: Zerg evolution options

ROACHLING!?

You couldn't just be happy with Zerglings, or Banelings, or Broodlings, or goddamn Locusts. No, you had to create another mini-Zerg for no fucking reason and give it the stupidest name you could. You motherfuckers.
    Last edited by DemolitionSquid; 03-10-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Cant use broodling, which would have been the best fit, since this is akin to the original ability broodwar queens used. Broodlords spawn those now.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Lots of little buggers is kind of the whole point of Zerg, Squibb. You should play them sometime.

goddamn Locusts
    You mean Swarm Hosts, right?
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-10-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I have a feeling some missions are going to involve combating hybrids and similar tough units....vile roaches are going to be handy for them. Otherwise im more inclined to go with jumping lings+ corpsers.

Yeah, I like the choices too, but I have to disappoint you Jconant(don't quote me on this) but afaik, if you chose one strain, you can't get the other one, what you can switch between the missions are other upgrades for those units, like Roaches getting more damage vs. biological, or more armor when below 50% hp(I think that was the upgrade), or for Banelings, double damage on primary target, larger splash area, or acid healing Zerg units. Those upgrades can be changed between the missions, but what I heard from Blizzard is that once you chose the strain, you can't change it again. I hope that I am wrong, or that they changed that though...
    "Living for the Swarm!"

Yeah, you can switch upgrades but not strains.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-11-2013 at 10:22 AM.

As much as I like the idea of swarming things with ridiculous numbers, I prefer stronger, more powerful units myself. I'll likely lean towards that in my play-through(s), especially considering there are other ways to up the numbers (Kerrigan's more easily swappable abilities, for one).

Power-house upgrades are going to be mine~!
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Lots of little buggers is kind of the whole point of Zerg, Squibb. You should play them sometime.

You mean Swarm Hosts, right?
    Totally missing my point, which is ironic I suppose.

Instead of the Corpser spawning Zerglings or Banelings or Broodlings or Locusts when it kills an enemy quickly, it spawns "Roachlings." Spawning Broodlings or Locusts would have worked just as well. They took the time to create a 5th mini-unit for absolutely no foreseeable reason. It's inane and a waste of resources.

If they had gone that route you'd bitch about them being lazy and not making a mini-Roach like they did with the mini-Ultralisks.