Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Short Story - Cold Symmetry

Default Re: Short Story - Cold Symmetry

I'm off reading Ian M. Banks 'Culture' novels which is basically StarCraft 2 done right from what I hear.
    I'm looking at the wikipedia page right now. Is there a particular book one should start, chronologically or otherwise?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

They're all stand alone and self-contained with the exception of very, very minor spoilers for 'Consider Phlebas' if you read 'use of weapons' or 'look to windward' (I can't remember which) before the first book. So, if you're trying to stay perfectly unspoiled, read the first book and then any others in whatever book you want. I hear the spoiler is easy to miss though so it still doesn't matter much.

As for reading order, most people I talk to recommend reading in published date because they start off great but get even better. Might as well read the "lesser" books when you're more easily impressed with the series and the author.

But, yeah, I haven't really got into it yet (just bought it) and its a lengthy series but from what I hear each book focuses on several alien civilizations and gives great detail to them. Instead of the usual Sci Fi fare which focuses on human and some interaction with aliens. And, since that's what I'm in the mood for post-HotS this seems like the perfect series. I'll let you all know how it turns out when I get around to reading into the series but the books have won several Hugo, Nebula, and respected site top 50 lists.

I can personally recommend Revelation Space though if you're looking for something like StarCraft. It's basically got the equivalents of Protoss, Zerg, and Xel'Naga in the story and even has the Inhibitors which probably were the inspiration for the Reapers in Mass Effect. It's basically the opposite of StarCraft though in that it has very little characterization. The detail is probably 85% related to hard sci fi concepts, which is what I wanted after WoL
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-18-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

So...assuming if an Aiur day and night is twenty four hours and that when he says "a day on Saalok is half a day on Aiur" refers to just the time the sun is up (twelve hours), that Zealot actually was running faster then Mach 1.

.....Yeah.