Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: (Spoilers) Hes' back!

Default Re: (Spoilers) Hes' back!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist
    1) Real, in my context, meant exceptional. Yes, its a nebulous term, obviously, but I hardly care to waste my brainmeat on thinking of alternative words for a debate that I have very little stake in.
    Wouldn't it be better to use "exceptional" from the start then? Exceptional's subjective too, but there's no ambiguity behind it.

3) Well, you are a fanfic writer who mostly reads books set in games universes,
    Sort of. Nowadays my main approach is to write what's essentially original fiction, but in a way that through throwing in some terms, I can keep it on ff.net and thus, everything I've written on the same site. And I still read plenty of non tie-in fiction, whether it be non-fiction or original. Problem is, they tend to be as hit or miss as everything else. On one end of the spectrum this year was A Dance with Dragons, and on the other, there was War and Peace. The type of book I can say that "yes, I've read a 'classic,'" but couldn't wait to get the damn thing over with.

Also, please, for the love of God people, do not phrase your arguments with varying ways of saying, "I'm offended."
    Where did you get the idea I was offended by anything? Looking at the post, the closest I ever got to being "offended" was the "distasteful" line, and that was another matter entirely. I don't get "offended" when people use the cop-out I mention (and again, I never said you did, only that the line of thought could lead to it), but I do find said cop-out irksome because it's a form of intellectual laziness. And being irked isn't the same as being offended, just to clarify that.

PS: I rarely read "hard sci fi" so I have no clue where you got that from. Stop nit picking words and go with the overall context which is easy to see.
    Okay, maybe I misinterpreted there, so for that, you have my honest apologies. It's just that again, so often I've seen the line of argument "real sci-fi is hard sci-fi, everything else is crap by default." Again, I'm not "offended" by this, but it's not a line of thought I'll ever get behind.

Has there ever been a more entitled group of people than gamers? Gamers look for any reason to justify pirating a game. Doesn't matter how good the game is, if there's something about they don't like, BOYCOTT THE DAMN THING!!! So self-defeating since it's only going to result in more of what you're protesting against. Silly children.
    Hmm...you may be right, technically. Then again, I don't discuss movies or books on the Internet as much as games, so I may not be that qualified to answer.

Games being an interactive medium, with gamers imputing commands/themselves/whatever into them, I can see how the entitlement thing could work. On the other, let's be honest, there are some things that I think gamers would be entitled to protest about. Sure we've all heard about the recent Sim City release, the DRM issues repeating the D3 launch. I think gamers are entitled to protest there when they can't play the product they paid for.
    Last edited by Hawki; 03-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Hidden Content:
    Apparently Kerrigan and Stukov will be temporarily aligned in one mission. The truth of the artifact will finally be explained.
    Last edited by DarthYam; 03-08-2013 at 04:50 PM.

lol DY, the correct tag is "hide."

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

The type of book I can say that "yes, I've read a 'classic,'" but couldn't wait to get the damn thing over with.
    I have this problem not only with classics, but with highly rated books in general. Just because a book is well written or thought out, doesn't mean it's going to be as enjoyable to me as a book with a premise I have a particular interest in. it's good in that it widens my options, bad in that it makes it harder to find good books.

real sci-fi is hard sci-fi, everything else is crap by default.
    I'm almost the exact opposite. Sure, I enjoy Isaac Azimov type books and Peter Hamilton for their realistic complexity, but I typically enjoy more liberal universes more. For example, I prefer Star Wars and StarCraft to Star Trek.

I do find said cop-out irksome because it's a form of intellectual laziness.
    I rarely give in to intellectual laziness but I frequently given in to compositional laziness. Writing on forums is something I do in between something else, so I hate it when a situation lasts longer than that.

I think gamers are entitled to protest there when they can't play the product they paid for.
    You're preaching to the choir. I don't buy (and often pirate) games with terrible DRM. What I'm talking about is more along the lines of Spychi type arguments where it basically boils down to "This game was made for the community and not me so I'm going to bootleg it because they don't deserve the money. Nevermind the fact that I got lots of enjoyment out of it." To give more concrete examples, the Mass Effect 3 situation works well. Nevermind that Mass Effect 3 is a great game, never mind that these boycotters got dozens of hours of enjoyment before they were hit with the ending, they're not giving the developers a dime because the ending wasn't perfect but they're going to play the hell out of it anyways. It's basically just a thinly veiled way to say, "I want to keep my money and this reason'll do."

People in other mediums usually just ignore a work. Not a gamer. They'll bash, boycott, and play the shit out of a game at the same damn time.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 03-08-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    People in other mediums usually just ignore a work. Not a gamer. They'll bash, boycott, and play the shit out of a game at the same damn time.
    That's ridiculous. Avid readers will hate on a novelist but still read their books. Movie buffs will still pirate movies as they badmouth them. Even people who hate Walmart will still shop there regularily for sales or whatever. Hypocrisy is everywhere man, its certainly not just gamers.

Hypocrisy is everywhere man, its certainly not just gamers.
    Of course, but gamers are much, much worse.

Hypocrisy is everywhere man, its certainly not just gamers.

I'm not talking about people who play/read/watch something even though they bad mouth it. I'm talking about gamers who, truth be told, enjoy a game immensely but will pirate/boycott a game based on obscure reasons that in no way justify their reaction. ME3, for example, sure, bad ending. Still one of the best early, mid, and late games to be had. Plus, let's say the ending ruined 25% of your enjoyment, why not wait until the game is 40$? Why just boycott the whole thing?

I'm not talking about people who play/read/watch something even though they bad mouth it. I'm talking about gamers who, truth be told, enjoy a game immensely but will pirate/boycott a game based on obscure reasons that in no way justify their reaction. ME3, for example, sure, bad ending. Still one of the best early, mid, and late games to be had. Plus, let's say the ending ruined 25% of your enjoyment, why not wait until the game is 40$? Why just boycott the whole thing?
    I'm going to reply with Mass Effect is unique in this situation. 95% of the trilogy is fantastic but the final 5% makes all your enjoyment and investment and choices feel meaningless as Bioware outright lies to the players on multiple levels. To me, that warrants a boycott. Another game I really wanted to be good, take Aliens: Colonial Marines, has gotten terrible reviews. I haven't bought it because of that. But apparently the entire game is bad start to finish, so it may warrant a buy once its price lowers. My hopes were high but they never teased me with 2 fantastic games before shoving shit in my face at the end.

Case and point. Gamers don't buy based on merit but based on feelings.

Case and point. Gamers don't buy based on merit but based on feelings.
    ... and readers and movie buffs and trailer trash don't? Micheal Bay's Transformers certainly didn't do so well based on merit. What are you huffing broseph?