Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short Story - Frenzy

Default Re: Short Story - Frenzy

But Telenil... this isn't even about science. This is about human behavior.

Why would a scientist call something "red globes" if it isn't red? I mean, I've never seen it described as red.

Also... the "hemoglobyn" is acid? So it isn't another enzime present in the blood, for example, no, it is specifically the gas transporting prothein that turns into acid... this is so uninspired. It shows they took no time to think of more interesting science-y stuff. The bigger blood-related-geek-word was "hemoglobyn", so they used it.

Also, we know that the fictious Starcraft universe has Newtonian physics just like ours. Then you can power off a geostationary satellite... It's like sounds in space. I'm not against sound effects in space for dramatic proposes, but making it lore isn't bright.

My problem with Ponera is a different one. He complains not Starcraft's physics aren't as ours, but that Zerg Anatomy doesn't work like rL animal anatomy. It's like he completely ignores the meaning of the word "alien".

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    But Telenil... this isn't even about science. This is about human behavior.

Why would a scientist call something "red globes" if it isn't red? I mean, I've never seen it described as red.

Also... the "hemoglobyn" is acid? So it isn't another enzime present in the blood, for example, no, it is specifically the gas transporting prothein that turns into acid... this is so uninspired. It shows they took no time to think of more interesting science-y stuff. The bigger blood-related-geek-word was "hemoglobyn", so they used it.

Also, we know that the fictious Starcraft universe has Newtonian physics just like ours. Then you can power off a geostationary satellite... It's like sounds in space. I'm not against sound effects in space for dramatic proposes, but making it lore isn't bright.
    Exactly. The writers care little about actual biological terms, just like they ignore a bunch of phsyics laws like the square-cube rule, according to which the thor should be a tracked vehicle to have any chance of not collapsing and the Omegalisk shouldn't be able to lift its own weight.
    I see what you mean, it's simply that Starcraft is not supposed to be a realistic or scientific universe. If you start applying real science to the various units and concepts, everything falls apart faster than you can say "suspension of disbelief".

As a side note, it's more or less the same thing with the engineering. If you think about it, Terran drivers should put one meter long steel spikes on all their vehicles before fighting zerglings, and the Protoss should use their warpgates to teleport nukes.
    Last edited by Telenil; 03-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Agreed about the engineering part, but giant units (Thor, Ultras, Colossi) could be possible with advanced technology. This is even more important about Ultras because while we can kind of figure how a Thor's mechanical parts would work, we have no idea how zerg anatomy work in a celluar/muscular level.

There no reason to apply "real science" to aliens and futuristic humans. That's what I criticize about Ponera. Science isn't a direct, mystical link to knowledge. It's just the knowledge we gathered so far. Science fiction can be great if it's about how things could be different even if only "real science" was used, but it can also be great sci-fi if it's about how science advanced enough can look like magic.

But I think there would be enough reason to apply "real science" to gravity etc. "Acidid hemoglobyb" was just lazy writing IMO. Science fiction gives you the opportunity to go really wild with scientific concepts, and the most complex biology notion they pull is from a high-school textbook? But yeah, I don't know why I even expect so much.