Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Story - The Teacher

Default Short Story - The Teacher

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lor.../the-teacher/1

And another HotS short story. Gradius beat me to the discovery on the BlizzSite though. Curses!

Default Re: Short Story - The Teacher

I actually like this one a lot! Except for one thing, one thing is very strange...

His arms snapped out and back; he was ready to leap.
    A rush of umber and glistening skin flicked by as [he] leaped from the floor of the theater to the observation window on the other side of the room.
    The hydralisks clenched and leaped over the Lost Wolves

Since when do hydralisks jump? I... I don't...? Hydralisks jumping over marines? What??

Liked the ending a lot, though.
    Last edited by Robear; 02-20-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Yeah I read it earlier today. I actually liked it, just that Mengsk and the Dominion military are painted as incompetent morons yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    I actually like this one a lot! Except for one thing, one thing is very strange...

Since when do hydralisks jump? I... I don't...? Hydralisks jumping over marines? What??

Liked the ending a lot, though.
    Well, snakes can jump sort-of. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    I guess I maybe could have bought it if the author was better at describing their movements— like, something about bunching, lowering, coiling itself in preparation, before surging forward—

Even then, I'm not sure I would buy the whole thing getting off the ground at once. The tails on SC2 hydralisks are so big and wide,

I absolutely do not buy that this thing could ever jump over a marine. Maybe 'jump' onto and slither over, forcing it onto the ground with its weight, but in the story, the marines just stand there and don't react. Nahhh.

By the way, what ever happened to Psi Emitters? Why couldn't the Dominion just use one of those against the traitors? Or is Kerrigan's swarm immune to them, and I've forgotten about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Half their own body length, generally.
    I imagine snakes with arms and Overmind-developed muscles could go further.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius
    Yeah I read it earlier today. I actually liked it, just that Mengsk and the Dominion military are painted as incompetent morons yet again.
    Truth be told, I don't think that's Blizzard's fault in this case. The author's name is a new one on me on the site short stories (as in, for all the 'big three') and assuming "DocRoswell" is indeed the author, then I'm guessing the story was originally submitted for one of the old story contests and was re-purposed. Certainly it wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

I dunno. It might be just me, but I got a 'fanficky' feeling when reading it. Not bad, but not particuarly memorable when compared to some of the other authors IMO.

Well for once I didn't feel the Dominion was incompetent. They got duped all right, but in an understandable way: they took safeguards, had multiple demonstrations before getting the project live, and only brought their leaders to the field after they had seen that the tamed hydralisks were actually fighting the Zerg. If anyone made mistakes, that's Leow, not Mengsk's loyal servants.
    Add to that Kerrigan being portrayed as competent in a very Brood War style (we even get a mention of the UED), and it becomes my favorite short story so far.

These stories actually make me quite optimistic for HotS. There is no telling if the tone of these stories will be carried over to the game, but if the writers wanted to show that they had heard our concerns and returned to a darker ambiance, that's exactly what they would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Telenil
    Add to that Kerrigan being portrayed as competent in a very Brood War style (we even get a mention of the UED), and it becomes my favorite short story so far.
    Huh. It's probably one of my lesser favourite StarCraft short stories from the site, The Exit being the only one that's distinctly inferior IMO. However, it's more due to the writing style than the points above though. As I mentioned, something feels...iffy, with the writing style to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Telenil
    These stories actually make me quite optimistic for HotS. There is no telling if the tone of these stories will be carried over to the game, but if the writers wanted to show that they had heard our concerns and returned to a darker ambiance, that's exactly what they would have done.
    I've noticed it too. However, I hope it's more of an independent decision than something done "because it's what the fans want."

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    By the way, what ever happened to Psi Emitters? Why couldn't the Dominion just use one of those against the traitors? Or is Kerrigan's swarm immune to them, and I've forgotten about it?
    What about them? Psi Emitters do not control Zerg per se. In Sc1 the Zerg are attracted to them due to the Overmind's will and intent to assimilate psionic potential. In BW, they are used to attract Zerg (one wonders why, how or if this attraction is still possible given we have a nascent Overmind who does not have control of these feral Zerg and that their attraction to Ghosts was not an innate Zerg characteristic but actually attributable to the original Overmind's will) so that Kerrigan herself can exert control over them.

I don't see much use for them in this context, unless you really meant the psi disruptor and not emitter. If so, that IS a bit more difficult to explain since Kerrigan was crippled by the Psi Disruptors effect in BW. One can only assume it's no longer useful, even if it were created again, because Kerrigan just got better and can adapt to its effects now (read: plot armour).
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    What about them? Psi Emitters do not control Zerg per se. In Sc1 the Zerg are attracted to them due to the Overmind's will and intent to assimilate psionic potential.
    Was it so? Sounds a bit strange, I would expect the Overmind to understand it was a fake after Antiga Prime. Plus, there were several comments about how the emitters were attracting the Zerg that were within a certain range. If the Overmind was ordering them to get there, I would expect the Zerg to act somewhat methodically instead of rushing towards the emitter.
    Although this was not explicitely stated, I was under the impression that the emitter was more or less flooding Zerg communication with "come here at once".
    Last edited by Telenil; 02-21-2013 at 07:42 AM.