Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Book

Default Strategy Book

http://www.myjournalhaven.com/starcraftbook.html

Background: the last time I was in a team was 06, with Huk, Gretorp and Avilo, to name a few. I didn't play to make friends or gain attention. I started playing around 05, and I played in my first WCG in 06, qualifying. In 07, I qualified again. I was invited to tryout for Estro (tournament that made Idra a pro), but I declined due to having already quit to play poker. Top 16 in 1 year, top 8 in 2.

I feel my highlight from BW was going 2-2 against Mondragon in 06 or 07, but even though a replay got out, everyone thought I was skew or assem, which is the story of my life. Although I primarily focused on BW, I would come back for WCGs, making it to final 4's in qualifers every year. In fact, I was in the final 4 of the last qualifier for BW, with suppy and sterling.

Last year, I started playing SC 2. I made masters in a month. 1600 point masters in two months. I had a season of instant leaving a lot of games, and during that season I got a HotS beta key. I completely switched to HotS. Finished GM the last 2 seasons, beating some pros.

Although I'm black, GM, and like to think I'm not completely a robot, I'm still no Maximusblack... But, I do have a book. I'll be damned if that's not cool.

Although I wrote the book before having played SC 2, it's just mainly about improving and how to look at the game. I didn't have any SC 2 knowledge beforehand, yet that didn't stop me, so if you're struggling - or anyone that's looking to improve - it can't hurt to get the book.

I played Terran and Toss in BW, and Toss in SC 2. If you get the book, on top of that, you will be able to message me on facebook or chat via a forum on my site. So, if you play Toss, especially, and you're going to play HotS, then you'd be pretty crazy if you didn't get the book whether you read it or not.

In short, you can spend $4.99 for the book and enable yourself to get future advice from me, or you can get coaching from someone around my level for $20 per hour. If you don't understand the more sensible/valuable option, than nothing is going to help that bronze level decision making, anyways
    Last edited by IamPlaya; 02-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Default Re: Strategy Book

Since when did we start getting advertisements? And how do we have any reassurance that this isn't some sort of scam? Your website was made this year, there are no posts on your forums (by you or anyone else), the chat room doesn't work, and the website looks like its using some default layout that could've been made in ten minutes.

I'm not saying you might not be legit, but you're posting here right off the bat with a short summary of what you've supposedly done, asking people to buy your book or buy coaching. It seems rather questionable.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Quote Originally Posted by Alar View Post
    Since when did we start getting advertisements? And how do we have any reassurance that this isn't some sort of scam? Your website was made this year, there are no posts on your forums (by you or anyone else), the chat room doesn't work, and the website looks like its using some default layout that could've been made in ten minutes.

I'm not saying you might not be legit, but you're posting here right off the bat with a short summary of what you've supposedly done, asking people to buy your book or buy coaching. It seems rather questionable.
    I'm used to posting on TL.net. I made the site the other day. I'll look at the forum thingy later. But yeah, I'm 100% legit. 10k plus have already downloaded the book.

The only reason I'm selling the book now is because it's impossible to go pro in SC 2 if you don't already have a "fan base" or extroverted personality. If I'm going to find time to play, have to get something out of it, in a money sense, even if it's pennies here and there.

I'm not real sure how to prove my authenticity. Hmm. Could ask me a SC question? Even if it were a scam, it's pretty much the cheapest one ever

Over a year ago, someone offered me a publishing deal to write a how-to book on SC. I turned it down, only to later think, "hey, why not write something."

If you look at the final WCG qualifer for BW, you will see it's me, suppy and sterling. As for whether I'm actually "that guy," I could... show you my stream if you really wanted. My HotS account, that can show it was GM last season (I haven't played much ladder this season). You would have to decide. I haven't really ever put much thought into it. Rest assured, though... if I have a problem, it's that I'm too legit...

Edit: Thanks for pointing out the chat being broken. I never expected anyone to actually use that, anyways hah. But, yeah, should be working now.
    Last edited by IamPlaya; 02-19-2013 at 10:54 AM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

A sample would go a long way towards helping you, O' Great Grandmaster.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

A sample. With that background, and offering free advice if you simply get the book, this is some grade A commenting. I'm a fan of your posting sample. Just tell me where to sign up for more.

Honestly, it's at a price where you can't go wrong. If you feel you got more value, donate more if you want. If you don't feel you got that value, "pester me" until I've helped you out enough in HotS.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Oh Good, I forgot no one ever lies.

Also, how much is the cut for SCL for them letting you advertise on their forums?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

You just adverstised in the wrong neigborhood boy. Economist, Demo - sick em!

Well, I'm as honest as they come. I said I qualified in 06? Here's a link to my group: http://www.wcg.com/renew/fun/News/ne...0069&page=1084 I didn't attend my group because I couldn't justify paying for a ticket in such a group. I had only played for 1+ years. Wasn't really realistic anyways.

07? I played under "EndlessSorrows". I attended my regional in Indianapolis and ended up forfeiting my spot/game against Nesh. 17 hour drive each way, by myself. 150 stipend once you got there. F it. I quit to play poker.

As for claim about being in the final 4 of the last WCG qualifier, since the link doesn't work, here's an image: playasterling.png

Whatever happened to one guy that's not poor giving it a go and then reporting back, sheesh. I was really hoping to scam 1 guy, then scam 100 more. This kind of logic is exactly why you guys need help and should be thanking me for making this 4.99 and not more...

As for cut... I'm appreciative of my thread being up. If anyone gets the book, maybe they can tell their friends, and instead of going to my site first, make them go to this site first and click on any ads that they have. I know it's illegal, but god damn it, that's what we want.
    Last edited by IamPlaya; 02-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.

I have no problem with him advertising here, its better than all the fucking spambots we've gotten lately.
    Best case, he's legit, someone buys the book, and gets better at the game.
    Worst case, its a scam, someone spends 5 bucks, and learns a valuable lesson as we mock them.

But, yeah, this is why I have to do this in the first place... no one really knows me. Maybe some are starting to, but it's not enough. I never really did anything to draw attention, and I never joined a team (after 06), despite having an inbox full of requests on all my accounts. In 06 or 07, I got the chance to play Mondragon on WGT. We played a series of 4 games. We went 2-2. On WGT, all of the games' replays were submitted for public viewing, and some of the replays got out. But, even then, I got no recognition because everyone thought I was skew or assem...

I do hope to talk HotS in the future, as I'm looking for motivation to keep playing, as I really like HotS and think it suits me way more than BW and especially WoL did. If anyone has any BW questions, feel free to ask. The pro SC 2 scene is kinda depressing atm. It's lazy marketing. Teams simply want players with the biggest fan base, already. Mangers are saying it themselves that skill is largely irrelevant. It's completely different from any other sport, or even what BW was.