Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BlizzCon 2013 Announced

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: BlizzCon 2013 Announced

Ahhh shit. I just happened to random start streaming the Sony Conference and Chris Metzen is on. DAMNIT!!!

--- Diablo III is on the PS4 and PS3. Oh Good, just D3.

At least it has offline Co-op.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/01/rts-...genre-decline/

Since you brought up Sins I'll post this link. They are far from the only RTS developer complaining that the genre is dying, mostly because of StarCraft's dominance.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the article. I feel it proves my point. SC2 has dominance over its own RTS area, but it doesn't stop other RTS games from finding their own niches.

t doesn't stop other RTS games from finding their own niches.
    Right, but there's getting to be less and less of them and that's a situation that only happened after StarCraft became the leader.

Redcloak's Avatar SC:L Addict

Developers even complain about how StarCraft killed the genre, because nothing else will sell. Conversely, WoW created shit tons of copycats.
    This isn't because of StarCraft stands out from the competition more than WoW (and in truth, I'd argue WoW is so far away from the competition, it can't be caught by anyone 'doing the same thing'). It's, like always, all about the $$$. StarCraft is your typical one profit game. MMOs have the potential to pay every month. Honestly initial sales are just a bonus, it's that monthly fee revenue that draws the competition like moths to a flame.

The irony is that MMOs are rarely profitable. Everyone sees Free 2 Play, as a way to get in the door against WoW, but really it's been minimally successful. There aren't many possibilites for beating WoW at its own game (standard fantasy MMO). Personally, I agree with Kimera's friends. I no longer think it is even possible. The amount of money a company has to sink into a title just to get it to be an intriguing opening day competition eliminates all but the largest publishers (read: The Old Republic). But in the end, players chew through the game content faster than developers can produce it, and those new games lack WoW's years of development to produce said content.

It would appear the best time to beat WoW, would be when they attempt to transition to 'the next big thing'. Look at EverQuest. You can say there was competition between EverQuest and UO or AC. There wasn't. There was global competition between Lineage and EQ, but that was it. The game was dominant. The door opened for Blizzard with WoW as EQ was coming to the end of its reign and launched EQ2. Sony never had a chance when you saw how much better WoW was in comparison. EQ was constrained by monotonous gameplay and many years old technology.

WoW has one enemy, and that is itself. As long as Blizz can keep enough content production high enough to prevent significant losses, it will reign.
    -Redcloak

One Decade with the Legacy Network.

This isn't because of StarCraft stands out from the competition more than WoW
    True. Personally, I think its because most people only want to focus on one strategy game at time. You can play many different RPGs and platformers, etc., because they eventually end or become monotonous. StarCraft, however, is always different, there's always something more to learn, and there's a (relatively) steep learning curve (for the average gamer) to switch RTS, and RTS never reach their potential until you breakthrough this learning curve. I like the challenge, but there was a time when I was like the general populace and didn't want to switck through with another RTS until I understood it enough for it to be as fun as StarCraft.

As for replacing WoW, I don't think anything using the typical online RPG (UO/EQ/WoW) formula will ever replace it. I think there has to be something different enough to draw away players. That was the philosophy I took in investing against the next "WoW killer" and it seems to be working, despite me knowing next to nothing about MMOs since I've only played a minimal amount of time of WoW, and watch my brother play Ultima Online, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloak
    This isn't because of StarCraft stands out from the competition more than WoW (and in truth, I'd argue WoW is so far away from the competition, it can't be caught by anyone 'doing the same thing'). It's, like always, all about the $$$. StarCraft is your typical one profit game. MMOs have the potential to pay every month. Honestly initial sales are just a bonus, it's that monthly fee revenue that draws the competition like moths to a flame.
    I suppose with StarCraft you might get some extra cash through e-sports. I'm guessing that Blizzard gets royalties or something similar through tornuments and all that.

The amount of money a company has to sink into a title just to get it to be an intriguing opening day competition eliminates all but the largest publishers (read: The Old Republic). But in the end, players chew through the game content faster than developers can produce it, and those new games lack WoW's years of development to produce said content.
    Wasn't that particuarly a problem in TOR though? A common complaint I've heard is how quickly the class storylines are played through, the aftermath being akin to "story's over? Well, have fun grinding."

It would appear the best time to beat WoW, would be when they attempt to transition to 'the next big thing'. Look at EverQuest. You can say there was competition between EverQuest and UO or AC. There wasn't. There was global competition between Lineage and EQ, but that was it. The game was dominant. The door opened for Blizzard with WoW as EQ was coming to the end of its reign and launched EQ2. Sony never had a chance when you saw how much better WoW was in comparison. EQ was constrained by monotonous gameplay and many years old technology.

WoW has one enemy, and that is itself. As long as Blizz can keep enough content production high enough to prevent significant losses, it will reign.
    That's an interesting thought. Checking up on Wikipedia, EQ2 and WoW were both released in the same month of the same year (November, 2004). And yet WoW was the only thing I really heard about in that time. And after said release...well, you pretty much cover it up above.

Of course, there remains the question as to WoW will ever attempt a transition. Financially-speaking, Blizzard seems to be playing its cards right. As I understand, the idea is to keep releasing expansion packs as long as there's a demand for them, while Titan takes the place of next-gen MMO, and in a different genre at that. Suppose that transition never comes, and WoW remains the dominant MMO in its own genre. While other fantasy MMOs are ones I still hear news about every so often (e.g. GW2 and LOTRO), WoW always remains at the forefront.

Which brings me back to the FPS point I made. Something I've noticed is the amount of shooter MMOs that have been released, or at set for release. Games that clearly do their own thing, as in, you can't really make many comparisons between PlanetSide and WoW for instance. And with other shooter MMOs coming (Defiance, Firefall, and Destiny, off the top of my head), have to wonder whether that area will be the true MMO battleground. A battleground Titan seems to be set to arrive late for, but hey, it'll be interesting to see how that market shapes up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist
    Personally, I think its because most people only want to focus on one strategy game at time. You can play many different RPGs and platformers, etc., because they eventually end or become monotonous. StarCraft, however, is always different, there's always something more to learn, and there's a (relatively) steep learning curve (for the average gamer) to switch RTS, and RTS never reach their potential until you breakthrough this learning curve. I like the challenge, but there was a time when I was like the general populace and didn't want to switck through with another RTS until I understood it enough for it to be as fun as StarCraft.
    Huh. That's another interesting point, and I can see how it works. RTS games play differently and require different mindsets, and switching from one RTS to another, it can be challenging to make the shift. However, I've generally seen MMOs as more of a "MMO of choice" thing. RTS games can be hard to switch between in multiplayer, but campaign-wise, I don't have that problem. And as most of my RTS investment goes into campaigns, I'm generally able to switch between them as I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist
    That was the philosophy I took in investing against the next "WoW killer"
    Which game was that?
    Last edited by Hawki; 02-23-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Which game was that?
    SWTOR I believe.

As well as many, many others. A few years ago, it seemed like every new MMO was being hyped by the community (not corporate) to be the next WoW killer.

If there is any WoW killer, it's going to be WoW itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    If there is any WoW killer, it's going to be WoW itself.
    "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain."