Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BlizzCon 2013 Announced

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: BlizzCon 2013 Announced

Right, but WoW boosted the genre, StarCraft killed it. That's mean StarCraft is inherently, by the very definition of the word, more dominant, at least in terms of a technicality.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid
    Not the way I've designed it in my head. I have a way to make Zerg playable, but Blizzard would never go for it because its too radical.
    Given the reaction to the original HotS ending, I think zerg fans are just as scared of change as well.

But even I, someone who didn't have too much of a problem with said ending, would wonder how it would work. Suppose the zerg faction has mutates or some equivalent as player characters, to send them off on solo/squad-size operations. Um, Kerrigan? It's nice and all, but I think sending your Swarm en masse is more your style. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757
    I'm less concerned about that, then with the damage World of Warcraft did to Warcraft lore. (I'm a lore fanatic, naturally.) Also, when you take a game universe and change format, you tend to lose sales. (StarCraft fans want to keep playing games like StarCraft.) I think WoW was closer to Warcraft III than World of StarCraft would be to StarCraft II.
    While I feel WoW benefitted Warcraft lore in the long run, I do agree that the WC3-WoW jump would be less drastic compared to a hypotethical SC2-SCMMO jump. With the former, we were dealing with notable hero units with RPG-esque mechanics, with SC2, Kerrigan in HotS aside, it's far more macro-focussed than WC3. Plus, WC3 set up a lot of plot points that would become relevant in WoW, while SC2's overall plot is based around the xel'naga/hybrids. Closing plot points rather than opening them up.

Of course, with a SC-MMO, we're kind of assuming it would function similarly to WoW. Perhaps one in a similar vein as EVE or Star Trek Online would be better. It's called "StarCraft" after all, and negates the whole "zerg quest" issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757
    Some of my MMO-playing friends tell me WoW will never die, in part because it's so huge. No new game can match its budget or playerbase from the start. (WoW is over 8 years old now. How often do people play a game that old?)
    Well, a few actually. To use other MMO examples, Ultima Online (launched in 1997) and EverQuest (launched in 1999) are two of the oldest MMOs in existance and are still being played, recieving their most recent expansion packs in 2010 and 2012 respectively. That WoW is still going isn't so miraculous in itself. What is against the norm is that it's still the dominant MMO out there. Back when MMOs started, it was a three-way battle between the two I mentioned and Asheron's Call, but nowadays, WoW is definately at the top in terms of market share.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist
    Right, but WoW boosted the genre, StarCraft killed it. That's mean StarCraft is inherently, by the very definition of the word, more dominant, at least in terms of a technicality.
    I wouldn't call the RTS genre dead. Off the top of my head, there's Generals 2 and Company of Heroes 2 set for release this year, and End of Nations and Sins of a Solar Empire have established their niches. SC2 definately has dominance over the "Dune 2 formula" (base building, resource collection, etc.), but I think outside it, the RTS genre is reasonably healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Given the reaction to the original HotS ending, I think zerg fans are just as scared of change as well.

But even I, someone who didn't have too much of a problem with said ending, would wonder how it would work. Suppose the zerg faction has mutates or some equivalent as player characters, to send them off on solo/squad-size operations. Um, Kerrigan? It's nice and all, but I think sending your Swarm en masse is more your style. Just saying.
    The premise of the entire Zerg faction story and mechanics is quite simple, really. That's kinda the problem though, it can't be as deep as other gear/skill systems for something more standard, like Terran or Protoss.

Basically, you pick your strain/class (Zergling, Hydralisk, Roach, etc.) and play as the equivalent of a hero-type from SC1: Devouring One, Hunter Killer, etc. Your main goal remains simple and throughout the story: collect resources like minerals, gas, and genetic material as you kill everything that opposes the swarm. You are given increasing difficult tasks, from killing enemies in an area to help the Creep spread, to attacking a small Terran outpost, to capturing a live Protoss and so forth. As you show your worth to the Swarm, you are rewarded by being moved up the chain of command, taking orders from a regular Queen, to a Broodmother, to finally Kerrigan herself. As you progress, instead of collecting random armor pieces to equip, you collect genetic material, and can then visit an evolution chamber to be reborn with the upgrades you chose. This method is do-able, but has two features I highly doubt Blizzard can overlook: its extremely simple, and it lacks the "excitement" a player can get from finding a rare piece of gear. However, I have a way to offset the second issue. Instead of dropping gear, powerful enemies (like dungeon bosses) can drop unique genetic sequences, different from the standard generic DNA you'll be picking up like any other resource to spend. These will essentially be crafting recipes for the Zerg, which the player can take to the Evolution Chamber, unlock, and then upgrade into if they so desire. Additionally, each class will have different possible genetic recipes that drop, so if you're a Zergling you could get a genetic sequence drop that would be better used by a Hydralisk, so you can then trade that recipe for one you need like any other item because its just strands of DNA.

But wait! How do Zerg carry resources like these? Figured that out too. The Zerg "backpack" lore would be that the Ventral Sacs from the Overlord for carrying Zerg were adapted to the other strains as pouches within their carapaces, so all Zerg can retrieve resources to bring back to the Hive instead of just Drones.

If there is no Titan announcement then I won't care that much. Sure, I'll want to see w/e new expansion for D3 and WoW they have in the works but... I'm not too excited about that.

I feel like Blizzard's reputation has been hurt. Assuming it is the case, Titan could be a great opportunity to bring back confidence in the company.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    If there is no Titan announcement then I won't care that much. Sure, I'll want to see w/e new expansion for D3 and WoW they have in the works but... I'm not too excited about that.

I feel like Blizzard's reputation has been hurt. Assuming it is the case, Titan could be a great opportunity to bring back confidence in the company.
    They're hurting, but nowhere near as badly as Bioware, and that's a true fucking shame.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I wouldn't call the RTS genre dead.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/01/rts-...genre-decline/

Since you brought up Sins I'll post this link. They are far from the only RTS developer complaining that the genre is dying, mostly because of StarCraft's dominance.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    If there is no Titan announcement then I won't care that much
    Following recent tradition, their next game (Titan?) should be announced in a Worldwide Invitational

Personally I'm guessing they'll just be announcing sequels to all their current games. Legacy of the Void, the next WoW expansion, Diablo 3's first expansion. It's possible they might announce Titan as well, or (hahahaha) Warcraft IV (sadly unlikely >_<), but I'm not holding my breath. Personally I enjoy the panels with the creators and developers, and even enjoyed the dance and costume competitions too. It's pretty decent to watch from home, and a lot cheaper than actually going.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

I'm looking forward to the new portait!

Quote Originally Posted by TheProgramer View Post
    I'm looking forward to the new portait!