Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BlizzCon 2013 Announced

Default Re: BlizzCon 2013 Announced

The saddest thing for me is that a StarCraft MMO is entirely do-able, but Blizzard could never ever get it right because they're too afraid of doing something vastly different.

D3 was something different. Many people hate it. Titan is/was meant to be different too.

But would you actually want a StarCraft MMO done? I mean, yeah, it's possible, but I don't see any particular reason why it should be made into one. Chances are we'd only get to play as terrans and protoss (so there go the zerg-lovers), it's unlikely that there'll ever be another playable race, and if there was, it would have to be introduced, because none of the other pre-existing species we know of besides the "big three" is really fleshed out enough or technologically developed enough to warrent playable inclusion, and while there are a number of terran and protoss factions to choose from, that can only take us so far. Part of WoW's success IMO was that it had a plenthora of lore to spring off-off (e.g., out of all the playable races, only worgen were introduced in the game, whereas all the others had appeared in the RTS games). StarCraft isn't nearly as fleshed out as WoW.

And from a business standpoint, WoW is the dominant MMO, while StarCraft is pretty much the dominant RTS. No reason to lose that stranglehold I guess.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Diablo would be far more ripe and simple to convert to an MMO
    In terms of gameplay and story, of course. In terms of marketting and sales, no. They would be in direct competition with each other. That would be as dumb as releasing StarCraft III and WarCraft IV at the same time.

Blizzard could never ever get it right because they're too afraid of doing something vastly different.
    Anytime Blizzard talks about Titan they go on and on about how its nothing like any other MMO out there. If they keep true to their, Titan will be vastly different. Of course, it's also rumoured to be for consoles, so.... If that's true then that's just one more nail in the coffin that is the old Blizzard.

WoW is the dominant MMO, while StarCraft is pretty much the dominant RTS.
    StarCraft is more dominant in its genre than WoW. Developers even complain about how StarCraft killed the genre, because nothing else will sell. Conversely, WoW created shit tons of copycats.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 02-19-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Chances are we'd only get to play as terrans and protoss (so there go the zerg-lovers)
    Not the way I've designed it in my head. I have a way to make Zerg playable, but Blizzard would never go for it because its too radical.

Yeah, Blizzard has to worry about public reception, critic scores, sales, and just making sure the game is good. I doubt they'd go your way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Yeah, Blizzard has to worry about public reception, critic scores, sales, and just making sure the game is good. I doubt they'd go your way.
    Exactly. Letting Zerg players collect genetic patterns to spend on gear-like upgrades so they can evolve instead of finding and equipping gear is way too brilliant for Blizzard to ever put alongside the normal MMO gear-grinding fair.

Been there, done that. That's HotS in a nutshell. I'd say something like that would be in a StarCraft MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Been there, done that. That's HotS in a nutshell. I'd say something like that would be in a StarCraft MMO.
    I know its HotS, that's part of the problem. There's no way Blizzard would be willing to implement the same thing in a multiplayer setting.

Yes they would. Even if for no other reason than they need to make the new MMO different than WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    The saddest thing for me is that a StarCraft MMO is entirely do-able, but Blizzard could never ever get it right because they're too afraid of doing something vastly different.
    I'm less concerned about that, then with the damage World of Warcraft did to Warcraft lore. (I'm a lore fanatic, naturally.) Also, when you take a game universe and change format, you tend to lose sales. (StarCraft fans want to keep playing games like StarCraft.) I think WoW was closer to Warcraft III than World of StarCraft would be to StarCraft II.

While StarCraft may be the dominant RTS, I think WoW is actually quite dominant in its own arena. Some of my MMO-playing friends tell me WoW will never die, in part because it's so huge. No new game can match its budget or playerbase from the start. (WoW is over 8 years old now. How often do people play a game that old?)
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."