Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Blackstone

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: Project Blackstone

Nothing about Hanson is changed. She and her colony disappeared off the radar because they want to be left alone by the Dominion. Both choices are still valid. Too bad, I hope they someday retcon the A choice, and make B canon.

EDIT Nevermind, I just realized something.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas
    Hey, I don't want to hear that. This Blackstone storyline we have going is by far the best we've got out of StarCraft II material so far. In my opinion.
    I meant "head hurts" in a good manner, as in, the storyline's got me guessing, and it isn't obvious where it's going to go. Okay, maybe I can guess that it'll end either badly for the project or badly for the characters, but still the questions remain - is Rothfuss UED? Is Maren somehow alive? Will Jake and Leah become an item?

...okay, maybe that last question isn't too pressing, but point is, I think it's been well carried out. It's got me invested, both due to the nature of the characters, and how it's steadily answering and raising questions over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas
    I'm enjoying Talen's story. Everything that happens is clearly meant to change his perspective on the Dominion and become more open-minded. That, or he'll close down completely and just become embittered.
    Yeah, ditto. I guess if I had to name a single protagonist of the campaign it would be him. I think he's well handled, how while he's a Dominion patriot, he's the "smart" kind of patriot, being intelligent about it rather than blindly following his allegiance and not being purturbed by anything. The latest conversation between him and Rothfuss is another example of good character development IMO - it's an example of "less is more" or a good word economy depending on which terminology you use. As glad as I am SC2 moved away from talking heads and used its cinematics in a "show, don't tell" manner (e.g. when Raynor looks at Kerrigan's photo, or when Kerrigan confronts Warfield), PB shows that talking heads still have a role to play.

Or maybe Facebook did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    Too bad, I hope they someday retcon the A choice, and make B canon.
    Where there's a will, there'll be a way... unless, it's revealed later that there wasn't any will to begin with.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs if one has to hope for is a retcon, as if that's something to be implicitly expected from the story now. *Sigh*
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    On Dr Rothfuss, I... tend to think he's UED. The UED have the "best intentions in mind" for humanity at large, and referenced Old Earth's Paris, hoping to elicit a response from Talen Ayers. His coding prowess is also beyond that of coders of the Koprulu Sector, and makes a direct mention of the ATLAS and how modern day adjutants are derived from its programming, which in itself is an interesting factoid.
    If Rothfuss is indeed UED, as is suspected, then his comments about ATLAS and the Adjutants might suggest that Earth has made strides in the fields of encryption, machine language, and artificial intelligence where the Koprulu Terrans have been content to let further development lay fallow as they pursued other horizons. Makes me wonder how else Earth's science and technology might have developed differently.

Come to think of it, this wouldn't be the first time that the UED has shown extreme competence in digital cryptography: anyone else remember how effortlessly the Expeditionary Fleet's Tac Teams decoded the Dominion Security Datalink and gained access to 'Mengsk's most guarded files'?

It would make sense. The UED easily gained access to Dominion info whereas in HotS, apparently it's something that the average terran can't do easily.

Then again, one can expect the UED to be more advanced in pretty much all fields, not just in the ones above.

vIsitor's Avatar Junior Member

I just ran across an alternative – and extremely unlikely – theory as to precisely who Daniel Rothfuss is, and it's so wonderfully outrageous and insane that I felt compelled to share:

Dr. Daneil Rothfuss
    Dr. Doran Routhe

Now, dev comments stating that Doran Routhe died in obscurity would seemingly put the kibosh on that, although in the same breath they also said that he was rumored to be working on some unspecified new secret project.

The Project Blackstone writing staff have been pretty heavy-handed in their foreshadowing that Rothfuss is from Earth, and the obvious conclusion that everyone seems to be drawing is that he's UED. The notion that we're being deliberately misled to set up the real shocking reveal later has a strange sort of appeal, although it's not a bet I'd put money on.

I wouldn't really call the hinting heavy handed - it's been quite subtle IMO, and speaking for myself, I doubt I'd have picked up on it if VoK hadn't done it as well.

As for Routhe-Rothfuss...huh. It's an interesting idea, but it's part of a wider issue. It's linked to the following questions:

-Is Routhe also Samir Duran? Is Routhe also Rothfuss? Is Duran also Narud? Basically, if Rothfuss is a shapeshifter too, how many shapeshifters does Amon have running around? If Rothfuss is one seemingly more than one, because it would require quite a bit of leeway for a singular shapeshifter to act as both Narud and Rothfuss in the same timeframe.

-If Rothfuss is Routhe somehow, why would he help the UED? Routhe had every reason to hate the UPL. Chances are that loathing could carry on to the UED.

-Personally suspected that Routhe is the same individual as Duran, who intentionally sent the terrans into the K-sector so he could have a sapient species that could easily fulfill his ends through manipulation (e.g. the Dominion's hybrid program). So, does Duran = Narud and not Rothfuss? Or does Duran = Rothfuss and not Narud?

Anyway, nice idea. Could be valid, though right now I'm still inclined to believe that Rothfuss is a normal UED human.

A new entry by Talen, though it is brief and unconnected to the new short story Lens of the Void.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Site's been updated again.

If I had to guess, the radio silence from Korhal is due to Kerrigan's invasion. Would guess that the web series will wrap up soon.

Nice further developments on the tweets as well. LeahxJake better than DahlxJake, and if anyone disagrees, my ship is ready for combat.