Thread: Project Mercury

Default Project Mercury

Since this is a modding forum, I thought I'd drop this by you all and see what you thought. I am not a modder, but I can definitely see the potential appeal of this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...5?ref=activity

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Project Mercury

I guess you didn't the memo. GPG has closed down. Wildman is not possible, unless it REALLY kickstarts in the last few days.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

That's technically not true. GPG is still running, if on a skeleton crew, but it's still going. Even Chris has said the response by people and their enthusiasm for this has him getting calls to partner for this game even if the kickstarter fails. Plus the point of me posting this for to get some possible interest going and maybe some backers. The site has been redone and a much clearer idea of the game is now present. If it doesn't fund, it doesn't fund, I have no illusions about the state of the project, but it does not hurt to try.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

http://kotaku.com/5977246/were-heari...on-kickstarter

It's just Chris Taylor "and one or two people." It's closed down.

It may open up again but, for now, its technically closed. Sure, Chris can keep just himself on his own payroll and say the company is still open but that still means nothing.

Still, I like the company so I hope they work it out. Still kind of shady they made a kickstart AS they were closing.

But, seriously,
    Even Chris has said the response by people and their enthusiasm for this has him getting calls to partner for this game even if the kickstarter fails.
    You've never heard this line before? I get this all the time as I scan through 10-Q forms for soon to be defunct companies to see if there's a gem in there to be invested in.

Kickstarter isn't a shop, it's a place to invest, and you WILL be lied to.

it does not hurt to try.
    I hope not. I don't know kickstarter's policy but I hope there's a way to protect yourself.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 02-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    http://kotaku.com/5977246/were-heari...on-kickstarter

It's just Chris Taylor "and one or two people." It's closed down.

It may open up again but, for now, its technically closed. Sure, Chris can keep just himself on his own payroll and say the company is still open but that still means nothing.
    It's 13 people now. They had some come back with of course knowing they are not going to get severance. They're still working and creating content, as well as doing press interviews, so they're not closed down just yet. Running on fumes, but not a full stop. Probably if and when the kickstarter fails, then they can call it quits.

Still, I like the company so I hope they work it out. Still kind of shady they made a kickstart AS they were closing.
    They had around 40 people before the kickstarter began, down from I think 80 or 120 last year. From the interviews, they had three projects going last year and they were all canceled within eight weeks of each other, which led to those initial layoffs. They were hoping for project eternity or planetary annihilation surge funds early on for Wildman, which, if you know kickstarter, is the wrong approach. Usually surges come in at the end, after many updates and questions have been answered or people just wanting to get in on something before it's gone.

Wildman's problem was the fact that there was not nearly enough information about the game at the beginning. Chris acknowledged that. In fact, he beats himself over it for being full of himself thinking his name and previous games alone would carry him to victory. Well, pride's a sin for a reason and now his company is about to go belly up.

You've never heard this line before? I get this all the time as I scan through 10-Q forms for soon to be defunct companies to see if there's a gem in there to be invested in.

Kickstarter isn't a shop, it's a place to invest, and you WILL be lied to.
    I should clarify that those calls were in the 'initial stages', nothing final or even particularly substantive. It got me somewhat more optimistic, but then Chris clarified that it would still mean having to go through a publisher which would mean*signing an NDA and having most of the profits go through the publisher. Those were the two reasons why he wanted to go to kickstarter. Imagine the sick irony then?

I hope not. I don't know kickstarter's policy but I hope there's a way to protect yourself.
    Thanks for the concern, but I should also clarify that none of this is going to matter if the kickstarter isn't funded. My pledge won't mean squat. ONLY if the project gets funded will I have to pay a dime.

Wildman's a wonderful and refreshing idea, but I'm not going to go broke trying to get it funded. It's just a video game, as Chris himself has said. I'll either put that money towards another kickstarter or give it to charity, because damn it, if I'm passionate enough about this game, I can at least be passionate enough towards those who don't have the luxury to play games.

I got interested at the game and I'm probably going to fund it along with 2 more friends. Thank you for the tip broodie.

Ok, about the mod tools... I don't get it. Could anyone help me understand wth are so many programmers excited about it? I don't know anything about programming. Could their tool be used for SC2? What does it have to make it so special?

You're welcome Tche. I'm glad I succeeded

I don't know much about modding either, so I can't answer your question in detail. All I know is like you said, A LOT of modders and programmers are excited for this.

Spread the word if you can Tche!