Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: building computer for hots

Lopan91's Avatar Junior Member

Default building computer for hots

Hello, so i am trying to build a budget desktop that can play Diablo 3 and SC2 Hots on medium or higher though medium settings is fine for me. the best deal i have found so far is this bundle that i think would run Diablo 3 and SC2 on medium settings. My price range is $500-700 but the cheaper the better. What are your thoughts would these pieces run medium settings?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1095306

Default Re: building computer for hots

This is WAY better than my computer; and I run Diablo 3 on Medium and HotS on High. Maybe you could even run it on even better settings.

Whenever you buy your PC and play HotS, please let me know how it worked. I may have to buy a new computer soon.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

You don't need 8GB RAM for gaming with that system. I recommend you get 4GB RAM of a better brand. It'd probably be more erliable and faster, which is better than bigger when you can't use it.

Also, the HD 6670 is pretty weak. I had a HD 5770 at release and that's a step up form your card, about 50% faster with cursory benchmarks look ups. My 5770 could play melee and small customs maps on Medium at 100+ FPS, but in campaign or larger customs maps, it's going to lag a bit at ~50 FPS. If you're not serious about competing then this little lag wouldn't bother you one little bit. The 6670 can definitely play melee games and small customs maps on Medium, so if that's all you want you're good, otherwise, I'd say go a step up for a few more dollars. This all depends on your monitor's native resolution though. Do you know what it is? I have a 1080p monitor so I had to run the game at a higher resolution. At 720p, you might be okay.
    Last edited by TheEconomist; 01-23-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

I just put a computer together and I think it's pretty similar to this one, at about $480. It's my first build so I'm kinda glad I didn't mess it up too much. Good luck!
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I'm hoping for similar help since I am a bit clueless when it comes to tech. What do you think of this for 200e? How well do you think it would run? I could spend more if it produced significant improvements, but of course, cheaper is always better.

Prozessor AMD Athlon X2 270 2x3400 MHz
    Mainboard AMD 760G (1 x PCIe x16, 1 x PCI, 1x VGA, 1x LAN, 2xPS2, 2 x DDR3)
    Arbeitsspeicher 4 GB DDR3 1333
    Netzteil 400 Watt Silent Netzteil
    Grafikchip ATI Radeon HD 3000 1024 MB Grafikchip

I am thinking it is better to have a faster dual core rather than a slower quad. Is this right?

I also have the option to upgrade the graphics card. How far should I upgrade? What shows whether a graphics card is better? The labels seem confusing and I am not sure what is important in the specs.

Thanks for any help. You guys rule.

unknownone's Avatar Junior Member

I would definitely suggest you to upgrade the graphics card. The HD3000 is a card from 5 or 6 years ago and it's definitely not enough for SC2. I should take at least a Radeon HD 5750 or newer (or an NVIDIA 460 GTX or newer). I don't see a hard disk in the specs, is it included?

The_Blade's Avatar Administrator

Your basic goal should be the cpu, the RAM and the video card. Going for a better Video Card should be your best choice at the moment, IMO.

Here's a list of great value Video Cards. For $20-$40 you could get a higher performance card.

Your thread has been moved to the off-topic forum, because it's main topic is "building a computer".
    Last edited by The_Blade; 01-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I am thinking it is better to have a faster dual core rather than a slower quad. Is this right?
    Yes, especially in SC2, which I believe has very limited if any use for more than two cores.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Does the HD make much difference? If it does it comes with 750 GB S-ATA II.

Should I upgrade to the ATI Radeon HD 5450 or the ATI Radeon HD 7350? The former is slightly cheaper than the latter but both are affordable.

I am using ebay at the moment, does anyone know a European site that provides better prices than ebay?

Thanks for all your help. You guys are champions.

Lopan91's Avatar Junior Member

TcheQuevara that makes me feel better about buying this bundle(i havent yet but i am leaning towards buying it) and i will definatly tell you how it run with diablo 3 and SC2

theeconomist my main reason im going with the bundle is because it will save me money i am trying to be somewhere in between $500-700 and i feel if i changed the ram it would increase the costs by at least $50. A better Ram just shortens load times or is that the hard drive? You don't need 8GB RAM for gaming with that system. i plan on playing the campaign on medium settings same with melee maps like 1v1 and 4v4 i plan on playing a lot of custom maps but i am fine with playing them on low settings if need be. Yeah 50FPS wouldnt bother me the comp i have now plays LOL at around 15-20FPS which is a little annoying but i have played LOL at 30FPS and it was fine with me. I plan on using an older monitor i have that is 480p but i am not sure if it will work or not and if i will need to get a new monitor. I hope i wont because that will increase my costs even more.
    Though in a couple years i plan on upgrading the computer what do you suggest i upgrade first the cpu, motherboard, ram or if i use the older monitor the monitor?
    Thanks for all your help everyone