Thread: Cliffhangers in the expanded universe

Default Cliffhangers in the expanded universe

Hey broes.

I recently finished reading the Dark Templar Saga. I noticed it leaves some stories unfinished - certainly to be explored latter. The two ones I remember are the following - those are SPOILERS even if you played WoL.

- The most important one: the addicting, mind-altering drug Sundrop, a gift of Ulrezaj to the Aiur Protoss left behind, that made them obedient to him, is being secretly consumed in Shakuras - and by the very guardians of the Xel'Naga Temple. This means Ulrezaj has a bigger, secret influence among the Daelam Protoss. Covert or sleeper agents in a key place, and maybe in even more places.

I don't believe we'll know any of this during HotS, but in LotV I'm sure this is going to be important stuff. On a side note, this means Ulrezaj has a strange place in SC lore... he doesn't even have a voice actor; yet he's an old character. He appeared mostly in EU books, and yet he is, or was, a key element to what will happen in LotV.

- Zeratul sees the "birth" of an energy creature. He follows it, which flies through space, until it joins many other energy creatures and opens a wormhole to a misterious planet.

Was this planet Ulaan, the planet when Zeratul fights Kerrigan in WoL? Or a previous planet of his research? Why did the creatures opened the wormhole? Why do they gather, and with what frequency? Hundreds of energy creatures together - this either mean Zeratul witnessed a major event, or, if the happening is periodical, the Xel'Nada temples are much more active then they seem.

I think both those are cliffhangers that will be important in LotV. Are there other cliffhangers in the EU?

I can remember some from the manga, Starcraft Frontline, but I believe most are EU-only material, that won't affect the game story any soon:

- The Dominion has technology to create human-protoss hybrids. The only hybrid created so far is now a free agent.
    - There is a form of creep that can psionically prey on its victims.
    - Zerg can mind-control terrans from great distances.
    - There's an old, evil, incorporeal entity called the Voice in the Darkness, which used to be an enemy of the Xel'Naga and that has returned to activity.

Anything else?
    Last edited by TcheQuevara; 01-15-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Default Re: Cliffhangers in the expanded universe

"Was this planet Ulaan, the planet when Zeratul fights Kerrigan in WoL? Or a previous planet of his research?"

It came from Pegasus, and we don't know which planet it went to. I think Zeratul simply followed the zerg to Ulaan, so it's a different planet.

"- There is a form of creep that can psionically prey on its victims."

It won't be back.

"- Zerg can mind-control terrans from great distances."

Which story was this?

"- There's an old, evil, incorporeal entity called the Voice in the Darkness, which used to be an enemy of the Xel'Naga and that has returned to activity.'

A one-shot as well, confirmed out of universe.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara
    - The most important one: the addicting, mind-altering drug Sundrop, a gift of Ulrezaj to the Aiur Protoss left behind, that made them obedient to him, is being secretly consumed in Shakuras - and by the very guardians of the Xel'Naga Temple. This means Ulrezaj has a bigger, secret influence among the Daelam Protoss. Covert or sleeper agents in a key place, and maybe in even more places.

I don't believe we'll know any of this during HotS, but in LotV I'm sure this is going to be important stuff. On a side note, this means Ulrezaj has a strange place in SC lore... he doesn't even have a voice actor; yet he's an old character. He appeared mostly in EU books, and yet he is, or was, a key element to what will happen in LotV.
    The idea of the guardians being Tal'darim sleeper agents...that's not a bad idea actually, or at least, the idea that the Tal'darim inflitrated their ranks. Certainly it makes sense in a way, how there's fewer Nerazim than there once were guarding it, as per the tribe/caste intergration. As for Ulrezaj, I don't know...I think it would be a bit much for him to get out of the crystal in LotV, to have to explain to players what the protoss already know (those unfamiliar with DV or the DTS), and then likely kill him off again. Ulrezaj may have had his appearence in the games, but it was the EU that fleshed him out. If he's to return, I'd prefer it be done there where we don't have to tread over old ground.

- Zeratul sees the "birth" of an energy creature. He follows it, which flies through space, until it joins many other energy creatures and opens a wormhole to a misterious planet.

Was this planet Ulaan, the planet when Zeratul fights Kerrigan in WoL? Or a previous planet of his research? Why did the creatures opened the wormhole? Why do they gather, and with what frequency? Hundreds of energy creatures together - this either mean Zeratul witnessed a major event, or, if the happening is periodical, the Xel'Nada temples are much more active then they seem.
    Doubt it was Ulaan-why would Zeratul remain there for a year. Granted, the creatures themselves will probably become relevant, but likely in recollections/flashbacks, though I strongly suspect the energy creatures will appear in LotV.

- The Dominion has technology to create human-protoss hybrids. The only hybrid created so far is now a free agent.
    - There is a form of creep that can psionically prey on its victims.
    - Zerg can mind-control terrans from great distances.
    - There's an old, evil, incorporeal entity called the Voice in the Darkness, which used to be an enemy of the Xel'Naga and that has returned to activity.

Anything else?
    -Project Gestalt was burnt to the ground, and while more gestalts could be created, I doubt they will be. As for Gestalt Zero, I doubt he'll appear in LotV either. Thing is, he was, IMO, a very well executed character, but that execution came from the manga format, how it used visuals to tell his (back)story, while he only ever speaks a single sentence. I couldn't see the same 'essence' of his character being conveyed in anything but a comic, manga, or similar media. All in all, I don't think it's necessary for his story to be continued, for those reasons, and that he achieved closure by his story's end.

-The creep could have gone anywhere. Maybe it consumed the Dominion scout team. Maybe it was brought back. Maybe 'anti-creep' will be used in HotS or something. However, I wouldn't really call it a cliffhanger either.

-The mind control was only possible because of the parasite. That was established well before.

-Of the above points, the Voice in the Darkness is definately the most pressing issue IMO. And unlike say Ulrezaj, it would be easier to introduce him to the game setting, as Azimar is the only protoss who knows it's still alive, and I'm guessing never told anyone else about it. And thematically, I think it would suit LotV well. If the SC2 trilogy is built on confronting the mistakes of the past and moving on (xel'naga influence, Kerrigan-Raynor, etc.), then the VitD is a manifestation of the xel'naga issue. It's malevolent, but it's disgust towards the xel'naga is understandable. If anything, the VitD is what I see the DV as potentially being. Malevolent, yes, but only made possible because of the careless actions of the xel'naga (yes, the VitD is its own thing, but if the xel'naga had killed it, they'd have saved much pain and death much later).

On the other hand, we can assume the DV will be the big bad of LotV. So, if we have the Voice in the Darkness and Dark Voice in the same game...potential confusion, to say the least.

-Another point is Stukov. Yeah, not technically EU, but at some point something has to be done with him IMO. A 'face' for the UED (insight provision), someone to compare/contrast with Kerrigan in light of de-infestation...yeah, probably should have stayed dead, but there's still potential for his character that can be levied IMO.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Blizzard has said the Voice in the Darkness isn't the Dark Voice. This is true. The Voice in the Darkness is controlling the Dark Voice; they obviously wouldn't even hint at such a plot-twist being true. Look at the Dark Voice's portrait. It's a protoss. That is enshrouded in darkness. Given how lenient Blizzard is with accuracy, that's a pretty good description for possessed protoss, I think.

Just calling this now.

It's a protoss. That is enshrouded in darkness. Given how lenient Blizzard is with accuracy, that's a pretty good description for possessed protoss, I think.
    So you're basically saying that the Dark Voice and the protoss portrayed in its portrait is just an avatar or representative of the Voice in the Darkness?

I always considered the protoss in the portrait to be more or less a place-holder. The only reason we know what it looks like is become some fan fiddled with the levels settings in Photoshop. Of course, it very well could be a Protoss who journeyed with the Xel'Naga to Zerus and corrupted their plans. Actually, I like this idea, since it does away with the whole, "OMG the DV is a spirit-entity from the deepest darkest places of the universe!" idea.

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I like it. The Xel'Naga may have taken several Protoss with them before leaving Aiur as students, or seeded them through out the galaxy. Which would explain the existence of an ancient tribe of Protoss on Ulaan, where they carved their monuments to their prophecy.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

I like that interpretation as well, but with the way StarCraft II is going, mine seems a touch more likely. Perhaps a mix of the two theories is preferable? It would bring in a truly fascinating entity from the comics, and explain the carvings on Ulaan (unless those were done by the Xel'Naga?), which poke a hole in any criticism of your theory I could bring to bear.