Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A 12

Default Re: Q&A 12

Quote Originally Posted by Telenil View Post
    What part of the Q&A are you refering to? The 12th states that Mengsk didn't learn of Valerian's plan before it was too late to stop it, and which implies he didn't know that Tychus would be in a position to kill Kerrigan before, say, Supernova.
    I Imagine he is refering to this line:
    But the truth is, Mengsk did know about Valerian's plot. Remember, Arcturus wanted Tychus Findlay on the scene when Kerrigan's humanity was restored
    Trying to make sense of the Overmind and Arcturus's plans for Kerrigan are making my head hurt.
    Last edited by Laurentian; 01-17-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post
    It's always been my theory that the Overmind wanted to infuse itself into the heart of Aiur's Psionic Matrix, which would merge itself with the Protoss' psionic link, while assimilating their bodies would result in a biological union. A union of body and soul, if you will. And it was the Overmind's experimenting with this plan that led to the shortage that left Fenix defenseless at Antioch.
    Heh, I remember this theory to a similar one I had back in the day but man, with your idea, I can't decide whether you've thought of everything or put too much thought into it.

Starcraft 1 didn't portray that as a rational decision after he weighted the pros and the cons, nor did Liberty's Crusade. Everyone may have taken the habit to say "Kerrigan" rather than "Kerrigan's forces" but he did left an entire strike force with her. As much as I hate Mengsk being portrayed as the absolute bad guy too foolish to be a threat, willing to sacrifice his son for propaganda purposes, and who spawns Pure Dark Hybrids just because he would be seen as a lesser evil if he didn't ("evil but lesser evil" actually was his trademark in Brood War) - in spite of all that, the fall of Tarsonis is the one moment when portraying him as a downright bastard is appropriate.
    The gameplay of that mission doesn't really do the danger of the Zerg overrunning Kerrigan's position justice but I kind of get where peasant is coming from. I've always heldd the perspective of Mengsk not being a classic "evil bad man" even with his final outburst/reveal against Raynor before the Hammer Falls but as someone with a twisted/deluded sense of utiliarianism. I think his decision to leave Kerrigan's forces behind can be debated as being a utilitarian action, as opposed to only being a downright villainous thing out of personal gain and spite, fairly well.

What part of the Q&A are you refering to?
    It was at one of the lore panels at a Blizzcon (forgot which one).

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    Well it's not like Blizzard has portrayed Mengsk as anything but a tyrant who only cares for himself. His rant at Raynor after New Gettysburg and his lines in Brood War do not show someone who is thinking about the greater good of humanity.
    Keep in mind that Mengsk's evil selfishness is only really cemented in BW. As of the end of Rebel Yell, we only see one instance of him showing a different light which then colours everything that he had done in retrospect. A not-so evil but fiercely utilitarian Mengsk would've been a much more interesting "villain" had they continued along that vein because we can at least identify with him at some level - not like this buffoon in WoL.

It was at one of the lore panels at a Blizzcon (forgot which one).

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    Wasn't his character pretty much made up as they went along? Seems the writers themselves weren't too sure if his plotline made any sense.
    The difference between Sc1 and WoL is that although they writers made it all up as they went along in both, WoL does a less successful job of hiding it.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

If the zerg are supposed to merge with the protoss, as per the Xel'Naga's design, yet can't, by both of their races' natures, does that mean the Xel'Naga failed in making what they wanted with the zerg? It wouldn't be the first time, if the manual is any indication.
    Last edited by Sheliek; 01-17-2013 at 07:02 AM.

The xel'naga got attacked early. Although The Dark Templar Saga implies the xel'naga were finished. They're supposed to merge naturally over a long time, and that time may not have come yet.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Sheliek's Avatar Member

That is a fair enough point. I have yet to read Twilight, but hopefully this gets explained in Heart..., which I fully expect to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalyon View Post
    Keep in mind that Mengsk's evil selfishness is only really cemented in BW. As of the end of Rebel Yell, we only see one instance of him showing a different light which then colours everything that he had done in retrospect. A not-so evil but fiercely utilitarian Mengsk would've been a much more interesting "villain" had they continued along that vein because we can at least identify with him at some level - not like this buffoon in WoL.
    It isn't even so far as that. Due to the brevity and limited insight we had in SC1 and SC:BW, Mengsk's precise motivations for his actions are certainly open to interpretation. But in this Q&A, there is a very specific and one dimensional image that Blizzard is trying to portray. They gave multiple reasons for why Mengsk opted to leave Kerrigan on Tarsonis. Adding a utilitarian reasoning (or any other morally grey reasoning) into the mix would have fit right in towards showing a broad/diversified motivation for Mengsk doing so. Instead, Blizzard chose to give reasonings that can only be interpreted as morally bad. All of which shows Blizzard's agenda; namely that even in a universe of eldritch abominations seeking to destroy the universe and mass murderers with body counts in the billions, Blizzard wants us to view Mengsk, in no uncertain terms, as a villain.

Though, it feels to me like Blizzard is trying a little too hard. At the rate they're going, I almost expect Blizzard to next reveal that Mengsk once opened an orphanage for kittens just to set it on fire and that he ships small children from the fringe worlds to be used as target practice.

I don't get it. Mengsk's reactions in the opening of the last terran mission of StarCraft vanilla clearly showed he was a madman.

Here's the exact quote:

Arcturus Mengsk: You're making a terrible mistake. Don't even think to cross me. I've sacrificed too much to let this fall apart.

Jim Raynor: You mean like you sacrificed Kerrigan?

Arcturus Mengsk: You'll regret that. You don't seem to realize my situation here. I will not be stopped. Not by you, or the Confederates, or the Protoss or anyone! I will rule this sector or see it burnt to ashes around me. If you try to get in my -
    Raynor uses this exact quote to weaken Mengsk.

If you think Mengsk was dumping Kerrigan for utilitarian reasons, you weren't paying attention. The original game portrayed him as evil, insane, and so forth. This isn't new spin by Blizzard.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Sheliek's Avatar Member

In light of this, I'm wondering if my portrayal of Mengsk as pragmatic-but-not-malicious in my campaign is a bad thing? I know it's a bit off-topic, but would any of you object to my continuing this portrayal, or should I cut my losses and return to the drawing board?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    I don't get it. Mengsk's reactions in the opening of the last terran mission of StarCraft vanilla clearly showed he was a madman.

Here's the exact quote:

Raynor uses this exact quote to weaken Mengsk.

If you think Mengsk was dumping Kerrigan for utilitarian reasons, you weren't paying attention. The original game portrayed him as evil, insane, and so forth. This isn't new spin by Blizzard.
    I'm not saying that Mengsk isn't an evil person or that he shouldn't be viewed as such. Simply that - especially since gearing into SC2 - everything Blizzard has him do seems intended to showcase or be motivated by his evilness. His rule of the Dominion? Completely tyrannical (yet maintaining enough public approval to be able to marginalise Raynor and all other opposition). That thing he did where his motivations were unclear? Fueled completely by selfish, evil reasons. And just in case you forgot he's completely evil, he's also willing to have his son killed to further his own schemes.

Like I said before... it just feels like Blizzard is trying way too hard to convince and remind us that Mengsk is supposed to be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspelli View Post
    In light of this, I'm wondering if my portrayal of Mengsk as pragmatic-but-not-malicious in my campaign is a bad thing? I know it's a bit off-topic, but would any of you object to my continuing this portrayal, or should I cut my losses and return to the drawing board?
    I doubt many would object to such a depiction. While it's inconsistent with Blizzard's current interpretation of the character, I think it's a somewhat valid interpretation. He's certainly no saint or objectively good, but neither is he a complete monster based on what we see in the games alone (bar the Tarsonis massacre, obviously).
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 01-17-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Sheliek's Avatar Member

Alright, thanks!

I think Blizzard is hammering home the point that Mengsk is so irredeemably evil because so many fans, after StarCraft I, seemed to interpret him as I have: pragmatic, a bit selfish and bad, but not downright malicious and evil. My experience might be different, but would we not all agree that this was the common (and in my opinion, more interesting, but I'll wait until Heart... to make final judgement) fan-interpretation prior to StarCraft II?