Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A 12

Default Re: Q&A 12

About the wormhole: how did the Overmind did it?

"It was a giant brain thing, stupid". Ok, but was the Overmind always manifested? If it was, it's ok. But if sometimes it wasn't manifested... if it was just the Hivemind itself... just where did all this power focused so it could open the wormhole? Nowhere? In another dimension? Through zerg brains around the galaxy?

And how could Kerrigan do it? With help from brainy zerg, like Cerebrates? Or by herself? This is huge, you see... I think it is pretty breathtaking that a single human brain can access and control any Zerg in the universe (as long as she has Overlords). But I keep thinking, where all this power focus? Inside her 1,5L skull? And if she can open these things in the middle of space, ok, I can accept soft fake science explanation of why she wouldn't do it with an enemy base (not every point in the Universe has necessarily what it takes to open a wormhole, etc), but if her mind can do something so great, I assume she could do do cataclismatic things in the battlefield, or maybe terraform a planet by herself... unless it works like a D&D spell.

Anyway, she apparently inherited the ability from the Overmind. So the ability would belong to the ruler of the Zerg; something that just "learning" wouldn't be enough, so maybe the Swarm itself has a role in it?

And if she can open these things in the middle of space, ok, I can accept soft fake science explanation of why she wouldn't do it with an enemy base (not every point in the Universe has necessarily what it takes to open a wormhole, etc), but if her mind can do something so great, I assume she could do do cataclismatic things in the battlefield, or maybe terraform a planet by herself... unless it works like a D&D spell.

Anyway, she apparently inherited the ability from the Overmind. So the ability would belong to the ruler of the Zerg; something that just "learning" wouldn't be enough, so maybe the Swarm itself has a role in it?
    I wouldn't take "Kerrigan" or "the Overmind" that litterally. We know that the Zerg infested some race of creatures that had the abiity to travel through space (I don't remember how they called it in the manual). It stands to reason that these creatures were able to open worm holes, otherwise they would all die long before they could reach the next star system. So I would say it's an ability that is in the gene pool of the Zerg, some leviathan-style entity can open a worm hole and send the Zerg through it.

It's as if someone said "Artanis and Zeratul can open warpgates to get quick reinforcements" - they don't open them themselves, they have the tech and engineers to do it.

This creates yet another plothole: the Xel'Naga created the Protoss and Zerg to become one, and yet their respective essences prevent that from happening at all. I can only assume Kindregan didn't think about it; the Protoss and Zerg were never meant to fuse in the first place; or the Dark Voice marred one or the other to make them incompatible.
    It always seemed to me infestation and assimilation were completely different things.
    In Brood War, infested terrans never spawned from larvas, as the rest of the Zerg do. Although the Zerg could take prisonners and grow Zerg stuff in them, the DNA (or the appropriate fragments) were never transferred to the collective DNA base of the Swarm. Thus there Terran were only infested.
    If the Protoss cannot be infested, that doesn't say anything about assimilation. If the hybrid are viable, then it is possible to combine a certain fraction of Protoss DNA with Zerg DNA, so I would think the Zerg would have been able to do it as well, even if they had to study Protoss DNA acid by acid for a century.
    That doesn't completely fit with Kindregan said, though.
    Last edited by Telenil; 01-16-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Yeah, the behemoths had the ability to travel through warp space prior to assimilation. On the other hand, there's no behemoths present when the Overmind opens the rift on Aiur. Still, it's iffy about Kerrigan. Saying "Kerrigan is able to wormholes" does allow some wriggle room, but the implication is that she's the one doing it. Then again, I assume it would take awhile to charge up enough psi, so maybe that's your answer in regards to balance.

I'm generally happy with this Q&A.

I don't mind the "purity of essence" thing being linked to Zerg DNA since I've always taken (the manual was pretty clear about it I thought) "purity of essence" as all about the Zerg still being the same at their core despite the various changes forced upon the swarm through assimilation of alien species and the risk of contamination or corruption that such activities could bring. The Protoss don't have this "purity of essence" because all it took for them to change and to get into the Aeon of Strife was the Xel'Naga just coming down to meet them...

The thing about Kerrigan somehow having developed "wormhole powers" is a bit off though. Did the ability just download into her brain after the 1st or 2nd Overmind's death? Wouldn't this make Kerrigan the most powerful psionic ever? Are there any Protoss that have such power? Then again, Kerrigan being inadvertently the strongest psionic being ever (which fortunately fell into the lap of the Overmind mind you) could explain why the Overmind just starts killing off the Protoss when invading Aiur, because it really didn't need them anymore and it decided they were inferior. Of course that would make the Overmind's speech at the end of the campaign (the thing about assimilating the Protoss) a bit sticky, I'd imagine. My retcon sense is tingling!

Another sticky point is if the Zerg and Protoss have always been incompatible such that the Zerg cannot infest nor assimilate the Protoss at any level, why doesn't the Overmind know this already when it assimilated the Xel'Naga's knowledge (you know, their creators and expert geneticists and all) about the Protoss? Afterall, it continues to cite it's reasons to finding the Protoss expressly in order to assimilate them, right? Or is the Overmind now fully retconned into an unreliable narrator and nothing about what it says is true? Or perhaps bits of what it says was true? I can only imagine the "fun" people will have cherry-picking which of what it says was true or not? My head hurts...
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Yeah, the behemoths had the ability to travel through warp space prior to assimilation. On the other hand, there's no behemoths present when the Overmind opens the rift on Aiur. Still, it's iffy about Kerrigan. Saying "Kerrigan is able to wormholes" does allow some wriggle room, but the implication is that she's the one doing it. Then again, I assume it would take awhile to charge up enough psi, so maybe that's your answer in regards to balance.
    There was no behemoth visible, but that doesn't mean much. The one thing that defines the Zerg is their ability to make useful capabilities from other species their own, so "Kerrigan was able to do the same thing" could just mean "she learned how to make it happen" - not necessarily that she opens the worm holes herself.
    That's the most simple explanation really.

Another sticky point is if the Zerg and Protoss have always been incompatible such that the Zerg cannot infest nor assimilate the Protoss at any level, why doesn't the Overmind know this already when it assimilated the Xel'Naga's knowledge (you know, their creators and expert geneticists and all) about the Protoss? Afterall, it continues to cite it's reasons to finding the Protoss expressly in order to assimilate them, right? Or is the Overmind now fully retconned into an unreliable narrator and nothing about what it says is true? Or perhaps bits of what it says was true?
    If pressed, I think Kindregan would probably say that the Overmind sought to attune itself to Aiur's psionic matrix and use that power to somehow force a merger between their two races. But seeing that an incompatibility has been programmed into the two by the Dark Voice, this would probably result in mutual annihilation, maintaining his plan.

It's always been my theory that the Overmind wanted to infuse itself into the heart of Aiur's Psionic Matrix, which would merge itself with the Protoss' psionic link, while assimilating their bodies would result in a biological union. A union of body and soul, if you will. And it was the Overmind's experimenting with this plan that led to the shortage that left Fenix defenseless at Antioch.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

While I'm not one to nitpick (blatant lies), I find that the answers in this Q&A provide more illumination about Blizzard than the questions themselves.

On the question of why Mengsk left Kerrigan on Tarsonis, it shows Blizzard's deliberate efforts to paint Mengsk as nothing but a villain with zero redeeming qualities. The simplest answer would have been that a rescue mission would have been too risky; that any such attempt would likely have cost more lives than it would have saved. This would be backed up by how everyone (both, Blizzard and the fans) seems to treat it as though it was only Kerrigan who got left behind; which would suggest it was only Kerrigan alone (or at best a very small team) who was still alive on the ground. Instead, Blizzard went out of their way to come up with other rationales. And while they all make sense to an extent, the ones Blizzard picked all paint Mengsk as a petty, tyrannical figure who cares not for anything but himself.

On the subject of Tychus Findlay's role in Mengsk's schemes, I vageuly recall a number years back when Blizzard was asked a similar question, they answered that Mengsk was using Findlay as a wild card. Specifically, they said that Mengsk had no clear idea of how he was going to use Findlay, that the original intention was to use him to ultimately take Raynor down, and that the switch towards Kerrigan was a late decision on Mengsk's part once Raynor and crew headed to Char. Now, the story is changed such that Kerrigan had been the target from the very start and that he planted Findlay in Raynor's organisation for that very outcome. All of which indicates to me that Blizzard doesn't quite have its story straight in terms of character motivations and other miscellanea; instead operating on making what they want to happen actually happen while figuring they'd fill out the details later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    Zerg Behemoths in SC1 cinematic ?

When I first saw this cinematic
    :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bp-W6icpCbs

I thought those giant entities with the long dorsal spines, which appear in the foreground at around 0:21, were just random hive structures.

Then I watched it again just now ...
    and I realised they were all drifting in space ...
    and I heard the cetacean-like calls towards the end of the clip ...
    and then I went "holy shit ! why has noone pointed this out before ?"
    by Starspawn10 in spacebattle

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    On the question of why Mengsk left Kerrigan on Tarsonis, it shows Blizzard's deliberate efforts to paint Mengsk as nothing but a villain with zero redeeming qualities. The simplest answer would have been that a rescue mission would have been too risky; that any such attempt would likely have cost more lives than it would have saved. This would be backed up by how everyone (both, Blizzard and the fans) seems to treat it as though it was only Kerrigan who got left behind; which would suggest it was only Kerrigan alone (or at best a very small team) who was still alive on the ground. Instead, Blizzard went out of their way to come up with other rationales. And while they all make sense to an extent, the ones Blizzard picked all paint Mengsk as a petty, tyrannical figure who cares not for anything but himself.
    Starcraft 1 didn't portray that as a rational decision after he weighted the pros and the cons, nor did Liberty's Crusade. Everyone may have taken the habit to say "Kerrigan" rather than "Kerrigan's forces" but he did left an entire strike force with her. As much as I hate Mengsk being portrayed as the absolute bad guy too foolish to be a threat, willing to sacrifice his son for propaganda purposes, and who spawns Pure Dark Hybrids just because he would be seen as a lesser evil if he didn't ("evil but lesser evil" actually was his trademark in Brood War) - in spite of all that, the fall of Tarsonis is the one moment when portraying him as a downright bastard is appropriate.

Now, the story is changed such that Kerrigan had been the target from the very start and that he planted Findlay in Raynor's organisation for that very outcome. All of which indicates to me that Blizzard doesn't quite have its story straight in terms of character motivations and other miscellanea; instead operating on making what they want to happen actually happen while figuring they'd fill out the details later.
    What part of the Q&A are you refering to? The 12th states that Mengsk didn't learn of Valerian's plan before it was too late to stop it, and which implies he didn't know that Tychus would be in a position to kill Kerrigan before, say, Supernova.
    [rant]And why the hell did they put the killing device in Tychus' suit? Everything would make a lot more sense if we didn't have this saying both "Tychus needs to obey Mengsk or he dies" and "Raynor is a complete idiot for not even caring".[/rant]
    Last edited by Telenil; 01-17-2013 at 04:00 AM.

the ones Blizzard picked all paint Mengsk as a petty, tyrannical figure who cares not for anything but himself.
    Well it's not like Blizzard has portrayed Mengsk as anything but a tyrant who only cares for himself. His rant at Raynor after New Gettysburg and his lines in Brood War do not show someone who is thinking about the greater good of humanity.

On the subject of Tychus Findlay's role in Mengsk's schemes, I vageuly recall a number years back when Blizzard was asked a similar question, they answered that Mengsk was using Findlay as a wild card. Specifically, they said that Mengsk had no clear idea of how he was going to use Findlay, that the original intention was to use him to ultimately take Raynor down, and that the switch towards Kerrigan was a late decision on Mengsk's part once Raynor and crew headed to Char. Now, the story is changed such that Kerrigan had been the target from the very start and that he planted Findlay in Raynor's organisation for that very outcome. All of which indicates to me that Blizzard doesn't quite have its story straight in terms of character motivations and other miscellanea; instead operating on making what they want to happen actually happen while figuring they'd fill out the details later.
    Yeah the whole Tychus plot didn't really make very much sense. Wasn't his character pretty much made up as they went along? Seems the writers themselves weren't too sure if his plotline made any sense.