Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A 12

Default Q&A 12

Link: http://us.battle.net//sc2/en/blog/8441646

In part twelve of our continuing series, Brian Kindregan, co-lead writer of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and lead writer of Heart of the Swarm, answers more of the community’s burning lore questions.

Question: Why did Mengsk abandon Kerrigan on Tarsonis? The rationale behind that wasn’t really clear.

Answer: As always, Mengsk plays a deep game. He usually has several reasons for the things he does.

First, Kerrigan had started to question his orders. He knew that if she was feeling squeamish about what he was doing on Tarsonis, she would become progressively more troublesome as the rebellion went on, because he was not going to pull any punches. So it seemed like a good time to get rid of her.

Second, it sent a chilling message to the rest of the Sons of Korhal. They had all been with Mengsk willingly because they believed in his cause. He was essentially telling his own army that the cause was now an established idea and their belief was no longer required—only their obedience. It was the moment Mengsk went from being a revolutionary to a tyrant.

Finally, Mengsk's family had been butchered by a Confederate ghost team in the past. He had uncovered evidence that Kerrigan had led that team and personally slaughtered his family. So this was the moment of revenge.

Question: How is it that, with Tychus under the employ of Arcturus Mengsk, he never knew of his son's plot?

Answer: Well, Tychus and Jim didn't find out about Valerian's plot until quite late—too late for Mengsk to stop it, really. But the truth is, Mengsk did know about Valerian's plot. Remember, Arcturus wanted Tychus Findlay on the scene when Kerrigan's humanity was restored. That was the ideal outcome Mengsk was hoping for, but even if that didn't happen, the plan still had lots of positives. It let him combine the tactical brilliance of Jim Raynor with the steadiness of General Warfield to affect an invasion of Char. If the invasion succeeded, then the Dominion fleet would have just taken Char and deposed the Queen of Blades—a victory for Mengsk. If the invasion failed, then the Swarm would still have taken a lot of damage, but the failure wouldn't be Mengsk's; it would be laid at the feet of the traitorous Prince Valerian and his crony Jim Raynor. In that case, Mengsk could use the entire fiasco as a rallying cry to win the people over: “we're now in great danger, with our military damaged by Raynor!”

Am I saying Mengsk would sacrifice Valerian if it suited his purposes? Yep! I don't think he would do that lightly, but in the end, he'd do anything to survive.

Question: If Protoss don't have mouths, why do they need Aiur Chef?

Answer: They don't have mouths, but they can still appreciate quality gameshows, can't they?

In seriousness, mods of that kind are not canon, even when they come from Blizzard. Those are one-of-a-kind maps that are not part of the SC canon.

Question: Do overlords move at the speed of light? How exactly do the Zerg travel throughout the galaxy?

Answer: In the past the Overmind created wormholes that the Swarm could use to move rapidly about the galaxy. After its death, Kerrigan was able to do the same thing. At some point between the events of BW and Wings, she added leviathans to the Swarm, huge spacefaring creatures able to carry countless Zerg within them and bend space, creating wormholes that let them travel immense distances quickly.

Question: Despite numerous interactions with the Protoss, how come the Zerg have never successfully assimilated a single one of them? The artificially created hybrid of Narud’s invention does not count.

Answer: I agree, the hybrid don't count, as the technology to create hybrid is a merging of Zerg and Protoss, not an infestation of a Protoss host. The fact is, Zerg are unable to infest Protoss because of the incredible strength of Protoss psionics. The Zerg hive mind is a crucial part of infestation, and the Protoss have either the Khala or the Void to keep the hive mind out.

Beyond that, Protoss genetic material (or as the Zerg call it, essence) is simply antithetical to the Swarm. They just cannot use it.

There was an experimental form of creep that could cut a Protoss off from the Khala, and it did lead to a Protoss being briefly infested. However, the creep was an isolated sample.

Question: Is the fringe world where the Terran Confederacy actually made first contact with the Zerg "xenomorphs" (before the more widely known purification/infestation of the Sara system) up for disclosure?

Answer: Interesting question! We have never disclosed which world this was, only that it was a fringe world. As that was classified at the Confederacy's highest levels, I fear that information may have been lost in the chaos that ensued. . . .
    Last edited by Kimera757; 01-22-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Default Re: Q&A 12

Beyond that, Protoss genetic material (or as the Zerg call it, essence) is simply antithetical to the Swarm. They just cannot use it.
    Couple interesting things here. We have a definition for the term "Essence", one that they've been hinting at for a while now. The Swarm understands DNA to be the essence of a creature. So "Form" would be the way that Essence would be expressed? You can be impure of essence, but the way it is expressed -- which genes are expressed and how -- can lead to something pure? So perhaps the Protoss could have a lot of junk DNA thats very inefficient, but their expression is pure.

But, on the whole... I am disappoint.

This creates yet another plothole: the Xel'Naga created the Protoss and Zerg to become one, and yet their respective essences prevent that from happening at all. I can only assume Kindregan didn't think about it; the Protoss and Zerg were never meant to fuse in the first place; or the Dark Voice marred one or the other to make them incompatible.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 01-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Huh. For once, I don't have much to complain about. Even when we know some of the answers to questions already (e.g. why Mengsk left Kerrigan on Tarsonis), both the question and answer were reasonable. Finally we get confirmation that the zerg still use the wormhole method (although leviathans were around before BW according to Mothership...ugh), and finally, finally, we get confirmation that the Void is what protects Nerazim from infestation. I know, it's one of those questions where the answer could have been deduced easily, but meh, confirmation is appreciated in this case.

I wouldn't call the merging thing an error per se, as the merging would take place over such a long time that the genetic status quo could change. That, and considering that the DV certainly had a hand in screwing up the zerg with the Overmind, the proverbial 'screws' could run deeper.

Leaving out the essence follow-up for a moment: The Zerg can't infest Protoss because of the powerful psionics? What about Kerrigan? Was it just because her psionic power wasn't grounded in something larger than herself?

It's not that I can't rationalize his answer, but it seems a bit incomplete.

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.

Sorry about the poor formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by LordofAscension View Post
    Leaving out the essence follow-up for a moment: The Zerg can't infest Protoss because of the powerful psionics? What about Kerrigan? Was it just because her psionic power wasn't grounded in something larger than herself?

It's not that I can't rationalize his answer, but it seems a bit incomplete.

~LoA
    A combo of not having "special" protoss power and having easily infested human DNA. Protoss have multiple things protecting them.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I liked to have Mengsk's objectives clearer. I was talking just yesterday about what had led him to leave Sarah in Tarsonis just like that

[SPOILERS]
    Mengsk's ruthlessness towards his own son, who he was so dedicated so raise as a successor, completely surprised me in Flashpoint. Maybe the answer about how he was prepared to betray Valerian like that might seem hard to believe to some people.
    [/SPOILERS]

I'm really curious about the whole essence concept. It was never pretty clear. Back in the 2000's I thought it was refering to the ability to be together and like minded, via either Khala or Hivemind; and I always wondered, how wasn't the Protoss pure of essence, if with little further effort, they could achieve the deepest soul bonding. Maybe they were "only 90% pure" of essence? What did you guys thought "purity of essence" meant before this Q&A?

So now, apparently, purity of essence is about the pure Zerg DNA that Abathur was so proud about in the HotS demo? Seems Kindregan is teasing us, and the mysterious meaning of "essence" is finally going to be unveiled in Heart of the Swarm, after some 15 good years. What do you think?

The Leviathan issue: heh, the Mothership short story was writen by Brian Kindregan himself. But maybe Kerrigan just improved the Leviathans. At one side, this is a minor thing... at the other, I don't like it because this sounds like they don't plan things enough, and the world[building] doesn't sound consistent because of that.

I'm in peace with the Kerrigan psychic infestation thing. Nothing to add to Kimera's point.

No Tche questions this time :_(

In the past the Overmind created wormholes that the Swarm could use to move rapidly about the galaxy. After its death, Kerrigan was able to do the same thing. At some point between the events of BW and Wings, she added leviathans to the Swarm, huge spacefaring creatures able to carry countless Zerg within them and bend space, creating wormholes that let them travel immense distances quickly.
    So does that confirm that whole debate about the Overmind being able/not able to create wormholes? Meaning that in the last cinematic; he is indeed trying to escape through a wormhole before Tassadar crash into him?

Yes, that's confirmation. Finally.

Huh. This Q&A ain't all that bad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    I'm really curious about the whole essence concept. It was never pretty clear. Back in the 2000's I thought it was refering to the ability to be together and like minded, via either Khala or Hivemind; and I always wondered, how wasn't the Protoss pure of essence, if with little further effort, they could achieve the deepest soul bonding. Maybe they were "only 90% pure" of essence? What did you guys thought "purity of essence" meant before this Q&A?
    Purity of essence. I assumed that it was genetics, but that it went beyond that. It would encompass an organism's ability to change itself as the need arises. Lysenkoism, really.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    So does that confirm that whole debate about the Overmind being able/not able to create wormholes? Meaning that in the last cinematic; he is indeed trying to escape through a wormhole before Tassadar crash into him?
    Alternatively, he was trying to shunt Tassadar into that wormhole, with the exit point in the middle of a Terran Dominion fleet exercise.

What? If I was 25,000,000 ton brain rooted into the bedrock of an alien planet, it's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    Sorry about the poor formatting.

A combo of not having "special" protoss power and having easily infested human DNA. Protoss have multiple things protecting them.
    Yeah, like I said, I understand it - I'm just irritated by it.

~LoA
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Beloved.