Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A #10

Default Re: Q&A #10

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara
    They answered another of my questions (the one about lore discussion) and complimented it again. Hey guys, Blizzard listens to me. I'm probably the reason why they're doing all those instand-retcons Hawki is so glad about.
    ...so this is what it feels like to be the butt of the jokes. Yay.

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    They answered another of my questions (the one about lore discussion) and complimented it again. Hey guys, Blizzard listens to me. I'm probably the reason why they're doing all those instand-retcons Hawki is so glad about

I liked Tassar better as a misterious being. I didn't like him being revealed like that at all - seemd limited. But having him somehow merged or chained to the Overmind is better than a Tassadar Ghost, like Vision of Khas already said. Limited, yeah. You can't go higher than your apotheotic sacrifice. Of course anything you do after that seems lower in comparison. But this, specifically, is actually good. This feels gory and even a little wrong. Tassadar being chained to the Overmind somehow... this is a testament of how great the Overmind was, that even the Twilight Messiah, even megatons of psionic energy couldn't just vanish it to the stratosphere.

But it makes me think: if Tassadar and Overmind are chained/merged/linked, how could the Overmind be reborn just a while after? If it was the actual Overmind who was reborn, was Tassadar linked to it too? Was that the Second Overmind a separate entity? Was it just as (potentially) powerful as the original Overmind, just less experienced, or was it a "lesser" Overmind, without all its majesty and god-defying will power? I believe it was a slave to the Dark Voice too (since Kerrigan didn't trust Cerebrates), but how was the "all consuming directive" inherited from the original OM to the Cerebrates, and from them to the second OM?
    Q&A said nothing about the Overmind, which we are to assume is still dead. Tassadar could just as well be trapped at the nexus of cosmic energy or protoss temple that the Overmind manifested on.

Anyway, like it or not, this answer is the logical conclusion of what we saw in WoL anyway, since there's no other excuse for why Tassadar didn't help his race during the Brood War & Interbellum.

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of the choices in WoL. Blizzard already stated which ones were canon and their choice "system" that they implemented in HotS will probably be nothing more than a passing reference in a short sentence. Seems like they're wasting resources on none issues.

People made a big deal about the choices because of Mass Effect (where those choices are important).
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Grad: your explanation would be even cooler, because it may mean we'll know why the hell the OM needed the Xel Naga temple so much, and what are its powers. But it isn't the only possible explanation. First thing I thought after playing WoL: maybe it took Tassadar a few years in the "astral plane" until he regathered his conciousness, and now his "ghost" an do whatever he wants. Or maybe ascending made Tassadar somewhat neutral to the Zerg/Protoss dispute. That would be terrible, not because its illogical (it isn't), but because it would be such a waste of Tassadar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    People made a big deal about the choices because of Mass Effect (where those choices are important).
    Unlike Mass Effect, the choices aren't that important in the Starcraft universe.

There's really any number of reasons for Tassadar appearing only at the site. Maybe he's bound to it. Maybe he was only able to take form recently. Maybe he can only make himself manifest bits at a time. Maybe...well, you see the point. There's no clear cut answer as to why things are the way they are.

As for the choices thing, honestly, I think this is really making a mountain out of a molehill. The fact that we get choices with consequences beyond a single mission is a step-up from the previous games. And I think Mass Effect is brought up because it's a game that has a similar format (spaceship, relatively small crew, etc.), is of a similar genre (sci-fi), and is a game series most seem to be familiar with. Think it's an iffy comparison to make because choices were never 'advertised' in WoL the same way they were for Mass Effect. If I had to make a comparison, I'd use Wing Commander as a template. But no, people play x, so they expect y to be like x.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe LotV will end on Ulan, with the xel'naga at Zeratul's side. "Choose the fate of the galaxy Zeratul. We've colour-coded your options for your conveniance."

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

The fact that ME & SC are different games is no excuse for the shoddy implementation of choices. How hard would it have been to actually use the communicator for grateful prisoners/colonists giving you money or new tech as your thanks for saving them at new folsom/haven? Instead the communicator was used only once for Valerian. I mean...the character staying on the ship and not dieing is ok, but wasn't the whole point of splitting the game into 3 parts to make the experience more epic? Instead, dialog seems to get wasted on banalities such as "man, you creepin" or "Ohhh little jukebox... You're the only one that understands me."

I generally enjoy everything about the campaign design, but the choices were a flop, and as usual I blame that on the writing team. It's no coincidence that pretty much every aspect of the otherwise superior campaign design that the writers had a hand in (such as the choices & actual mission gimmick lore), ended up suffering.

Think it's an iffy comparison to make because choices were never 'advertised' in WoL the same way they were for Mass Effect.
    Yes, but they are supposed to be "choices" nonetheless. The fact that reality itself shifts to accommodate your morality & decisions doesn't make it a choice at all. It seems that Blizzard has totally missed the point. They're supposed to show us what our decisions could realistically have on the universe, not continue the theme of the campaign being a giant ego-trip for the player. Even when choices have negative consequences such as somebody dieing, reality shifts so that you made the best decision anyway. At best, the choices can be said to dictate how dark the campaign is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    The fact that ME & SC are different games is no excuse for the shoddy implementation of choices.
    Blizzard already admitted that they made mistakes with the choices in game and plan on fixing it in future releases.

That doesn't grant them automatic amnesty. Our complaints are just as valid now as they were before they admitted they were in the wrong.