Thread: Anatomy of StarCraft

Default Re: Anatomy of StarCraft

These are pretty neat. My favorite is on the Overseer and Changeling so far, though I wish he went more in-depth on their morphing ability. I'm not terribly fond of his delivery; it's like he's presenting his stuff on the fly, or has a few talking points jotted down on paper. Too many "ums" and "uhs" really annoy me. I wish he remarked a little bit more on the fetlocks on the Protoss. But he's right, their musculature is basically human. I went over that diagram of Zeratul he's using and it's pretty much the anatomy of a human body builder, muscle for muscle.

EDIT
    On the Changeling, I'd probably make a presentation on the morphing ability like this.

For such a fearsome-looking mimicking creature, you would think it would be a highly intelligent organism. However, it may have a mentality akin to that of an autistic savant: despite extreme recall abilities, its intelligence may be fairly low. (Though that may not necessarily be reality, as in the case of Stephen Wiltshire.) While neural structure may contribute to the bulk of its mass (like any octopus), this may be completely autonomous of the brain, working independently to control the various fibers and organelles that aid the Changeling in its mimicry, like the Mimic Octopus.

Y'know, something not so topical. Where's Kimera747 when you need him?
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 11-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

I'm here now, but given how ridiculously busy I am, it might take me a day or two to view all those videos
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Just watched the last one. Very cool stuff!

What troubled me is the very simplistic view on psionics. Of course it is "magic", but instead of throwing it away like garbage, he should try to find explanations for it. But oh well, that would be hard for an anatomist...

You see, where do this whole psionics thing come from? From Eastern religion, philosophy, medicine and psychology. That's it's difference from Western "magic". Just like magic has its "science" - and it is called alchemy - that can be used to create better fiction, psionics have its source, its science too, and that source is yoga. When you know something of mystic yoga, psionics make much more sense and are much more fun.

If he knew anything of yoga, I think he could even think of something like an "anatomy" of psionics. For example, how living things supposedly are broader than they seem: they occupy physically just the space they seem to occupy, but their "subtle body" - their mind - are also present around them in a less and less dense way as it gets more far from the center - like what some people would describe like an aura, but which isn't an aura at all. An aura is an emanation, and this broad presence is the living being itself.

Also, psionic energy doesn't originate from the brain in yoga. It originates from the lower chakras and ascend to the highest ones; actually, each chakra is a beacon collecting energy from lesser parts of the body (both physical and subtle). It does has some relation with how our nervous system actually works.

So if I'd explain Protoss psionic anatomy, I'd explain how their whole body participates on the generation of their mind, that is broader than their bodies. They would probably feel how broad their mind is, and how their existence is centered, but no limited, in their bodies, more than humans can.

Alchemy isn't the only system to explain magic with, and yoga isn't the only system to explain psionic in fiction. Other explanations are fine, but I don't like that psionics are left unexplained like they generally are. They end up being "laser beams from the brains". Unexplained magic/biology/technology.

By Adun, I am sorry, but if I read a science fiction novel that used "yoga" as an explanation of psionics like you explained it, I would put that novel up for adoption. Based on your description, it sounds more like "magic" than "science".

The Protoss body having biological organs that somehow makes them able to send, receive and manipulate information would be better. Through actual scientific stuff, like quantum entanglement and whatnot. And Blizzard has been kind enough to provide us with what that organ could be: Their tendrils.

As an example on the fly on this; their tendril cells contain particles entangled with other particles "floating" around their tendrils, which through an ability to move particles inside the tendril cellular structure (meaning through multiple cells resutling in greater movement) could result in manipulation of the exterior particles to preform certain tasks.

The khala could be described as cloud of commonly entanglement particles that protoss can get in touch with. Psionic storm could be an ability of the Protoss to create a violent chain reaction on the outside by preforming violent movement of the entangled particle inside their bodies, etc.

And no, I do not want to leave the Dark Templar out of this, so:
    While the Protoss originally have this ability because of their tendril cells, the Dark Templar after specialized training are able to use the cells and types of particles located elsewhere in their body.
    And by using both protoss and dark templar psionics will mean that they initiate the ability of entanglement with their entire bodies.

Now of course, the actual "science" of all of this is way off. But in my mind, it at least beats "yoga". Hell, midichlorians as an explanation beats yoga... :P

Scientists measure a second as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods
    of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine
    levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
    Or the duration of 9,192,631,770 matches where David Kim crushes you head to head in StarCraft 2

Yoga is the original explanation for psionics - sorry, psionics are yoga.

You're describing forms of communication that doesn't involve any of the traditional senses - "telepathy". Telepathy is just a part of psionics. Psionics is what we see in Akira, for example: "mind powers" that, regardless of their origin, can interact with reality in many forms, specially physically.

There is no way a biological radio system could increase your physical power, generate forms of energy, read minds of alien species that don't communicate like you do... in other worlds, there isn't any "scientifical" explanation for yoga/psionics because yoga/psionics ARE magic. They're about generating matter and energy out of nowhere, twisting reality just because you feel like. It is silly yo try to make it scientific - unless you actually believe in things like "free energy" and other pseudoscience. But you can try to systematize it.

Btw, your explanation of "telepathy" doesn't work either, not for Starcraft. You see, I, as a human, can intercept your mechanical emissions in the air and comprehend it as a language. I can catch the subtitlies in your speech to know more about you than you want to transmit (empathy - which is a 'reading method', not a direct contact with one's mind). You're saying Protoss do the same thing, only with radio transmissions, and in a more effective way. That doesn't explain how they can meld their minds, actually touch each other's consciences, nor how can they read the minds of other species.

Your explanation doesn't explain how Protoss telepathy work. Your explanation doesn't cover how Protoss radio emitting organs help them to twist reality, ascend to "other planes", become archons or get invisible. Those things can't be explained scientifically because they are magic, but they're a systematized "magic" known as psionics in 'science' fiction. The depiction of psionics in 'science' fiction are based on anecdotes of yoga feats that flooded Western culture after the 19th century. Coincidentally, yoga is much about the anatomy of the "subtle body", the mind, so if you want to explain the anatomy of this form of MAGIC, yoga is a good place to start with. Trying to explain it with traditional biology is like trying to explain Harry Potter with quantic science. In other worlds if you believe psionics can be explained with science you're naive, and if you believe you have a better explanation for psionics than the guys who presented you the concept - yogi - you're arrogant.
    Last edited by TcheQuevara; 12-03-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Talking Re: Anatomy of StarCraft

Quote Originally Posted by TcheQuevara View Post
    You're describing forms of communication that doesn't involve any of the traditional senses - "telepathy". Telepathy is just a part of psionics. Psionics is what we see in Akira, for example: "mind powers" that, regardless of their origin, can interact with reality in many forms, specially physically.
    Well thanks for the lesson of completly unknown things that I had absolutely no idea of. [/sarcasm]
    But... Um... unless you completly skipped my post, I did explain mind powers as well as telepathy within the same concept; quantum entanglement.

There is no way a biological radio system could increase your physical power
    Well, I guess not, but I am confused. Why are you mentioning radio systems? I did not mention radio systems at all... so why use radio systems to debunk what I said?
    Ignoring this strawman. Protoss could train their ability to manipulate entangled particles in a similar fashion as we humans train to use our muscles. To them, it would be as natural as it is to us, moving our muscles. Thus with training comes increased physical power...

generate forms of energy
    Oh my, now I am interested. If you think particles entangled, and manipulations in form of movement of these entangled particles are not able to generate different forms of energy (off the bat I could mention thermal, kinetic, nuclear and sound) kindly explain why it is the case.

read minds of alien species that don't communicate like you do.
    The only problem would be interpreting the signals you get once you "touch" a mind with the entangled particles.

in other worlds, there isn't any "scientifical" explanation for yoga/psionics because yoga/psionics ARE magic.
    I didn't deny this, I was just trying to give you a more scientific explanation than "yoga" which in itself is not an iota close to being science. As you said yourself: Other explanations are fine.
    So, what you did mean was "other explanations, as long as they mention yoga in a positive light, are fine"? Remind me, who is the arrogant one again?...

They're about generating matter and energy out of nowhere
    Well ok then. I dont personally think psionics is about that... but sure. Everything that is real, can ultimately be explained by science. Including psionics if it was ever discovered in one form of another. What you need to do is to look at the races of StarCraft, see what they are doing, and ask yourself this: where does Protoss/terran/zerg generate matter and energy out of nowhere? Personally, I see nowhere where this is the case. There are alternate explanations for what happens where matter and energy are not created out of nowhere.
    But if it involved stuff from nothing it is still not a problem for science.
    There are actually explanations where matter and energy are created out of nothing in the form of quantum fluctuations. laboratory experiments have proven that quantum fluctuations occur everywhere, all the time. Virtual particle pairs (such as electrons and positrons) directly affect the energy levels of atoms, and the predicted energy levels disagree with the experimentally measured levels unless quantum fluctuations are taken into account. It is even an hypothesis that quantum fluctuations created our universe from nothing.
    Ooh, and then there is this:
    http://phys.org/news/2011-11-scientists-vacuum.html
    Yeah! We are psionic baby!

And then we have that one possibility that could explain psionics that I mentioned: Quantum entanglement.
    It is not magic, it is not in any way or form "radio"... it is actual verified science:
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...eight-photons/
    A lot of what I am saying as previously noted is not very grounded in quantum theory, but is an exaggerated expansion of what we do know today. And it is STILL a better science story than "yoga".

It is silly yo try to make it scientific
    Not at all. It is smart. It is a way to actually look at things and find ways to solve problems without saying "is magic durr". Hell, one could even attach my hypothesis to your yoga hypothesis and actually make it bearable. What is silly is to disregard science...

unless you actually believe in things like "free energy" and other pseudoscience.
    Or... you know... yoga... :P

You're saying Protoss do the same thing, only with radio transmissions, and in a more effective way.
    No. Not radio waves. Quantum entanglement.

That doesn't explain how they can meld their minds, actually touch each other's consciences
    But I did. here:
    "The khala could be described as cloud of commonly entanglement particles that protoss can get in touch with."
    Their cells, manipulating the particles, would detect when different particles met or interacted with each other (that is a given, if they can manipulate, they can also detect), with training one could even detect what type of particles. Thus they could "feel" and "touch" things over a great distance. Even their minds, in a sorta, maybe, kinda literal sense.

nor how can they read the minds of other species.
    The same way they communicate. They detect particle movements of the alien species through their entangled particles, and are through their superior intellect, and probably with a bit of study, be able to decode what the alien is thinking or feeling and convert it into a language they themselves understand.

"
    Your explanation doesn't cover how Protoss radio emitting organs help them to twist reality, ascend to "other planes", become archons or get invisible.
    Well of course not. I have already repeated this enough, so I will not mention your radio strawman again after this, but;
    Ascend to other planes: Through focusing they are able to send the entangled particles into other particles in a way that entangles them to eventually get into contact with the particles collectively known as the Khala or other planes.
    Archons: They bring their entangled particles violently together creating a chain reactions where the particles creates temporary bonds that fuse them together. The bond is weakening because the two Protoss are focusing on the rage, eventually resulting in the Archons timely demise.
    Cloaking: They use the entangled particles to intercept and diverge incoming photons around themselves. Effectively making them invisible to the naked eye, but not detectors. In fact they could become invisible to detectors if they were able to intercept and diverge whatever means the detector is using to detect cloaked units, but that would be game breaking.

Ghosts use technology in form of a cloaking device to diverge photons around themselves.
    We already have a similar technology today that gives objects invisibility to certain detectors through diverging microwaves around an object.

Those things can't be explained scientifically because they are magic
    To employ "magic" to explain "magic" in science fiction makes it crap fiction.
    At least I tried to explain them with actual science rather than creeping to the grave and just go "yeah, yoga did it, makes perfect sense".
    Cause then you are left with. Well... how does yoga do it?

Trying to explain it with traditional biology is like trying to explain Harry Potter with quantic science.
    Don't be silly.
    I would use alternate dimensions and means to traverse these through artifacts fused with fractions of souls of beings from said dimensions... But come on, Harry potter is obviously fantasy including but not limited to gods and other purely magical stuff, not science fiction.
    In science fiction, using a scientifically sound explanation is better than saying "hurr durr is another form of magic". No it isn't magic, it's a currently undiscovered form of interaction with the world that can be explained by science eventually.
    Going from "its psionics" to "its psionics through yoga" does not make any sense. It is creating an un-needed step in the explanatory model. Where you have to end up trying to explain yoga instead.

In other worlds if you believe psionics can be explained with science you're naive
    I do not. My whole point is that it is better to try, than to fail by saying "its yoga".
    If you think "yoga" would make for a good explanation for psionics in any science fiction novel, you should stay far away from writing them.

and if you believe you have a better explanation for psionics than the guys who presented you the concept - yogi - you're arrogant.
    Well... yes. Sure...
    Last edited by Equiliari; 12-04-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Scientists measure a second as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods
    of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine
    levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.
    Or the duration of 9,192,631,770 matches where David Kim crushes you head to head in StarCraft 2

What the hell does stretching have to do with psi-blasts and mind reading? No, seriously. Yoga is just bending and stretching in certain ways. It is (supposedly) good for you and can act as a meditative technique, but that's it. It doesn't develop super powers in any scientifically repeatable way.

Anything and everything that creates an effect in our universe can be measured, and therefore can be studied, and categorized, and explained with time and understanding of the laws of physics, matter, and energy. Saying 'yoga' is bullshit, pardon my french. Starcraft is supposed to be science fiction, meaning things having a basis (or supposedly having one) in actual science but doing things fantastical and amazing. Fantasy is magic, which usually doesn't have a very definite explanation. Even if it does, a lot of things still come back to, "Because magic! "

EDIT: Oh, and there's absolutely ZERO MENTION of yoga or stretching or anything like that when the Protoss are developing into a more psionically gifted and united species in the Dark Templar Trilogy. They use Khaydarin Crystals to amplify their abilities in order to unlock greater potential.

Also, in my personal opinion, 'reading thoughts' is more like the ability to scan someone's brain and focus in on where conscious thought and memory are stored, and projecting them is probably similar. The Protoss are seen to have this ability naturally, even before they get the Crystals and the Khalai. Its just a very direct and focused form of communication that is probably more similar to radio waves, but focused in on brains. In fact, the Psi Emitter itself is essentially just a super powerful radio, though working with a broadcast method that likely goes faster than the speed of light.

"The Transplanar Psionic Waveform Emitter, also known as a psi emitter, is a piece of terran technology. These portable machines have the uncanny ability to lure zerg to their signals. Those running the Confederate Ghost Program found that the zerg are attuned to the psychic emanations of ghosts. The emitters broadcast the neural imprint of a ghost, but at a much greater magnitude."
    Last edited by Alar; 12-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

Gradius's Avatar SC:L Addict

Tche is trying to say that psionics is an ordered form of magic with its own set of protocols, like yoga or alchemy. Since yoga can be a meditation technique, it would jibe well with psionics, another mental discipline. Don't get me wrong, yoga is a pretty god-awful explanation if I've ever seen one, but still. :P

Equi - I actually like your explanation. I always thought that psionics affect things via the electromagnetic force, like so. Since you'd be able to write field equations for it, protoss could easily develop technology that uses psionics, such as pylons, etc.

See Gradius, what you said made more sense. Yoga isn't really magic though. Yoga is a thing that happens in real life. There's groups that go out and practice it daily, all around the world. There are no super powers involved.

Yes, the field of psionics likely has its own set of rules and protocols. And yes, it would make sense if things could be broken down into mathematical equations, thus explaining why someone with quantum storage devices (pylons and other crystal tech that Protoss sport) would be able to carry out the extremely complex and processing intensive calculations via machines rather than with their own highly evolved brains.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I probably came off as a bit too hostile. I was just flabbergasted as to how yoga could = mind powers.
    Last edited by Alar; 12-06-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...