Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immortaliteit reworking

Default Immortaliteit reworking

Since the immortal still shuts down most of Terran mech, how about the following tweak:

Change the immortals shields so that there is a recharge delay every time they are triggered by a high damage attack. Let's say that any attack over forty or fifty damage will trigger the immortals shields, but then there's a .3 or .5 delay recharging time.

I also propose reducing the bonus damage and increasing the base damage. Or just reducing the bonus damage while decreasing cost and/or build time.

This way it's not going to be three immortals clearing out thirty tanks (exaggerating, before some literal minded person attacks this statement) anymore, making mech that much more viable again.

Whaddya think?

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Default Re: Immortaliteit reworking

Because otherwise Terran is even more imba.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

From what I've seen, mech hasn't become any more viable apart from spamming widow mines. While I think widow mines fit the Terran style of defining the battlefield by using emplacements and fortifications, they still need some tweaking.

The problem with immortals right now is not just that they completely shut down tanks, it's that they're an either/or unit: either they completely own the unit they are up against, or they die without inflicting more thana fraction of their cost in damage.

With the above changes it would change them from the hardest of hard counters (and the downside of hard counters is always that they have a hard weakness) into a more all-round unit. I think this would make for a more fluid style of play.

I think if Blizzard was going to take an intelligent approach to their unit design for ladder play, they wouldn't have relied on hard-counters in the first place. With that in mind, there's not much evidence to point that they're going to change it up - I think they're happy with how the game turned out, as retarded as that is.

What surprises me is Toss doesn't have an answer for well micro'd terran air, yet Terrans want a mech buff... dude that's why we have options. Immortals and collos can't hit air. I couldn't tell you how many PvPs I've had where I went air vs a deathball and forced a base race because he/she could not beat my void/blink stalker combo straight up. Terran could do the same with a viking banshee combo. Cruisers would be viable only until the Toss starts getting air.
    I am a master tactician. It is my execution that keeps getting me killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0nogo View Post
    I think if Blizzard was going to take an intelligent approach to their unit design for ladder play, they wouldn't have relied on hard-counters in the first place.
    Well... SC2 kinda IS a game of hard counters. Or at least much more of a hard-counters game than BW.
    And I think it DID turn out fine.
    "Summer break.
    Nuff said
    Midnight lunch? Eh maybe"
    Noctis

"The war's been fought off our shores for too long... now we shall bring the battle home!! xD"
    broodmywarcraft

You thought wrong.

Hard counters are definitely a problem with SC2. A lot of damage numbers need to be adjusted to be more median and less bonus.

Brood War was all about hard counters and it was fine.

SC2 has a problem with mixing up their Rock Paper Scissors, that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Brood War was all about hard counters and it was fine.
    You can gg till you can make factual statements.