Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible HotS suggestion: Protoss

Default Re: Possible HotS suggestion: Protoss

Do you think they should have the ability to fix themselves up
    For the simple sake of racial diversity in gameplay: No.

I'd be open to any amount of creative shit with shields though. Just not sure its needed. If P is to get any form of healing, it should be shield healing, even anti-healing; lose 30 HP gain 80 shields over the couse of 20 seconds (regeneration independent of being attacked or not) Put it on the tempest and/or carrier i guess. they need some spicing up.

I dont believe HotS melee is going to change much beyond what we know of it, certainly not "for the heck of it"
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Asfastasican View Post
    Protoss don't repair their units, you crazy diamonds. What are you all thinking? Everybody knows that protoss build their hulls and suits from factories on Auir and teleport them to their destinations on the battlefield! Even after Aiur was burned down and razed, they still teleported their constructed units from Aiur through gateways and other means during Brood War! They didn't repair their shit then and they sure won't start now just to please you goofballs!

You can't expect the Protoss to start doing things differently just 4 years after they have been doing the same things for thousands of years, just like you can't expect the SC2 game devs to change the protoss in a way that's not similar to any mechanic from the Command and Conquer series. keep dreaming and get a clue! Geez, you want Dustin Browder to make the protoss bastardize their traditions right after they spent over 2 painstaking years to produce a 2nd trilogy sequel. Give the man a break. You're all being unreasonable and impossible to satisfy!
    You've learned to troll with the best. Respect, dawg.

On a serious note, your C&C comment has given me an idea. In Tiberium Wars, the Scrin have swarms of semi-sentient tiny razor blades called Buzzers, which attack infantry. I think we could use this idea of small swarming units.

This is acctually an old idea, originally intended for Zerg. We create a new unit, call it "Nanite Swarm," constructed by the Robotics Facility. Its sole purpose is to repair Protoss infantry and ship armor (HP). These tiny robots would just flit around from unit to unit, constantly repairing. You could micro Nanite Swarm to repair certain other units, and possibly even stack several swarms on a unit to repair it faster.

So whats their catch? The Nanite Swarm would be costly, have few hitpoints itself, and no attack whatsoever - like any other Caster-class unit. However, it would not function on energy, and because its nanomachines are so small, the Nanite Swarm would be immune to any damage that isn't splash. They would not be good in large-scale direct combat because there's always AoE from Hellions, Colossi, Fungal etc. But they could quickly repair any unit that survived a battle.

So, to recap:

Nanite Swarm
    Produced at: Robotics Facility
    Cost: 75/50 (?)
    HP/SP: 20/20 (?)
    Armor: 0
    Supply: 2
    Type: Ground - Light - Mechanical

Abilities:
    - Microscopic (Passive): Can only be targeted by (splash) type damage.
    - Repair: Automatically repairs damage to the tissue and armor of allied units using micro-sutures, carbon nanotubes, and molecular bonding agents. Repairs 1 HP every 2 seconds.

Upgrade:
    - Molecular Assembler: Increases the efficiency of the Nanite Swarm to repair 1 HP every 1 second.
    Last edited by DemolitionSquid; 09-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Another upgrade idea:

- Advanced Intelligence Processors: Nanite Swarms gain the ability to divide themselves into 8 pieces to be assigned to units based on their dropship capacity.

Obviously not the best wording, but the basic idea is that the unit can split itself among units based on their size. For example, two bits can split off to attach to a single Zealot, 2 more bits can be split off to fix up a Sentry, and the remaining 4 bits can heal up an Immortal (all with the same supply cost as the base unit... Which, I imagine, would be at least 2).

Theoretically the nanites could separate, but they'd each be healing so slowly. I envisioned the unit more as a swirling silver cloud than as x specific units.

How about a large "bubble" ability that a unit could use that heals up hull damage.
    About the size of a guardian shield.

The trade off would be that the units would be in "stasis" for the duration or until canceled, meaning it's not something you would want to use in the heat of battle, and could be attacked if your enemy was quick enough.

And if you want to go all lore crazy. Why not have a building that could send units BACK to Aiur. Get repaired and come back (represented by a cool down timer)?

Maybe the first idea for "bio" units (zealots,HT,DT,Archons) and the second idea for mechanical units (colossi, immortals,stalkers)?
    KCCO

I quite like that idea, DSquid. Giving the Protoss a form of repair that wouldn't really be all that effective on the battlefield (really depends, I suppose with enough of them it might be worth it, but in that case you'd be severely capping your army size). Having a handful of them in your base, hovering around your workers in case of surprise attacks, and having them rush to your Mothership/Mothership Core when you Recall for emergency repairs? I like it.
    I've fought for the Terran revolution, I've seen the promise of the Protoss, and now I'm ready to join the might of the Swarm...

I think it ruins the factional balance though.
    I prefer the idea of exchanging shield points for health.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluash View Post
    I think it ruins the factional balance though.
    I prefer the idea of exchanging shield points for health.
    There's no resource competition in that, though. There's no risk/reward. Because Protoss shield regeneration is so fast outside combat, and Armor upgrades are favored over Shield, all Protoss would immediately set their units shields to heal hp. There'd be no difference at all then just giving them the same HP regeneration Zerg get. Unless the HP healing did something drastic, like significantly lowering the SP regeneration rate after it healed HP, or permanently lowering the SP cap per unit (so a 100HP/60SP Protoss unit would become 100HP/50SP unit after it used its HP regen), I just don't see it working.

There needs to be a risk/reward or investment to healing Protoss HP. Forcing the creation of a new building or unit, or using energy, are the only ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    There's no resource competition in that, though. There's no risk/reward. Because Protoss shield regeneration is so fast outside combat, and Armor upgrades are favored over Shield, all Protoss would immediately set their units shields to heal hp.
    Gurglash might be refering to my idea, witch is the same but the other way around. change HP into shields at more than 1:1 ratio - maybe even increase the max shield value while doing so - to extend the longeivty of a unit / set of units throughout a ciritcal tacitcal window of time

There'd be no difference at all then just giving them the same HP regeneration Zerg get. Unless the HP healing did something drastic, like significantly lowering the SP regeneration rate after it healed HP, or permanently lowering the SP cap per unit (so a 100HP/60SP Protoss unit would become 100HP/50SP unit after it used its HP regen), I just don't see it working.
    This, in essence, is my problem with all forms of "heal protsoss hull damage" ..... A significant part of what makes protoss SHIELDS interesting and distinguishes protoss hp-type from the rest is the fact that once youre past them, you KNOW you are inflicitng permanent damage. in my mind, ANY deviation from the permanency of hull damage will fundamentally rock this concept. further, it will most likely shit the focus onto hull integrty even more than it is now (with hull being upgraded before shields..)
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

I'd go with "if unit's shields haven't been damaged in last 5 seconds, HP will replenish at extremely low rate". Lore-wise I think Protoss are capable of regeneration biologically(or should be, I know they rather go with cyber-implants just to recover faster to go and fight) and building armor capable of self-repair.

That is, if we MUST add regen to Protoss. Otherwise, which is more likely, I'd leave it oldschool.
    "Summer break.
    Nuff said
    Midnight lunch? Eh maybe"
    Noctis

"The war's been fought off our shores for too long... now we shall bring the battle home!! xD"
    broodmywarcraft