Thread: Short Story Contest Winner: The Exit

Default Short Story Contest Winner: The Exit

Last week, Blizzard posted the winner of the short story contest winner here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/5397141

The winner is a StarCraft story, titled The Exit. I haven't read it yet (have to go to work), and I don't know if Blizzard ever makes these official, but it could be decent fanfiction.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Default Re: Short Story Contest Winner: The Exit

I know it's petty of me, but I can't help but stare in amazement that a StarCraft story came first instead of a Warcraft one. On the flipside, Diablo is completely absent from the excerpts.

Concerning the canonical status of the short stories, the gist I've got is that they're canonical if Blizzard wants them to be (something in the conditions of submission). The 2009 winner, In the Shadow of the Sun, was indeed made one of the official short stories and the author Sarah Pine has since written more stuff for Blizzard. Silver Hand, Ebon Blade won the 2010 competition but it's never been made official in the same way. Personally I consider both canon, but only the former is distinctly so.

In a wiki sense (still haven't forgotten about the site), I think it's worth creating a specific article for The Exit, linking it from the contest page, but I don't think it would be a good idea to create articles off it/reference it from canon ones unless it gets the same treatment as In the Shadow of the Sun did.

So, got round to reading the thing and...meh. Okay, but even setting aside its canon errors, its a weaker read than the past entries IMO. Doubt it'll be made canon in the same way as In the Shadow of the Sun was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki View Post
    So, got round to reading the thing and...meh. Okay, but even setting aside its canon errors, its a weaker read than the past entries IMO. Doubt it'll be made canon in the same way as In the Shadow of the Sun was.
    Starcraft canon is akin to a bad joke these days so I wouldn't take too much stock in it. In light of this, if it's bland and as "weak" as you say, then it's pretty much what you'd expect anyway if it were made canon.
    Yes, that's right! That is indeed ME on the right.